Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

IMPUL brakes review and pics

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 02:02 AM
milelin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IMPUL brakes review and pics

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/437656/6

Here are some pics of my car with the Impul BBK. Have been thinking about this kit since it came out but it took quite a while for me to actually decide on the kit. I was going to go with Brembo’s GT because I liked the look better. I work in the autoparts industry here so I am fortunate enough to compare most systems side by side. Through a very special connection from Japan I was able to get them at a great price directly from IMPUL so I decided to go for it. The IMPUL bbk is actually made by Endless but with a few touches of their own. Here are a few things neat about the Impul system, and why it retails for nearly 10K in the U.S:

- I knew the forged calipers will be lighter then brembo’s GT and AP’s cause they were casted. (Yes, don’t let people fool you, they are not forged calipers.. Brembo and AP do offer CNC calipers but mostly for full track use only and you don’t really see them anyways). But the impul;s are lighter then I expected. The front 6 piston only weigh 3.3kg each while the rear weighs 2.6kg each. The top of the line racing CNC 6 pistons from project u weigh in at 4Kg so you get the idea. For comparison, the OE akebono units weigh in at 6.3 kg front and 3.5 kg rear. Unlike most other systems, IMPUL calipers are not painted for better heat transfer properties. The color is what you get directly after heat treatment.

- The 370mmX32mm front rotors are made of a special blend of carbon steel alloy which offers superb heat resistance and wear. (They have a blue/dark finish). All discs are full floating 2 piece design with duralumin brake center bells. The bells are first forged then machined to take out more weight and enhance overall balance (you don’t find this in other systems). A similar size cast iron brembo floating disc weigh about 12.5 Kg/pc while the carbon composite disc from project u weighs about 10.5 Kg. The IMPUL front disc weighs a breath taking 8.6kgs. The only thing that I know which is lighter is MOVIT’s full carbon disc which weighs about 6.5 kgs but bear in mind that MOVIT will cost nearly double. For comparison, the heavy stock discs weigh 13.3 Kg Front and 9 Kg rear. Notice how large the center bells are compare to other kits its easy to see how it’s so light.

My kit came with all brake lines, pads, and Endless RF-650 brake fluid. I wont get into other manufacturing details cause the post will be longer then it already is but I will say that this is a very good system for people serious about performance. I do quite a lot of circuit driving here and can say nothing but good things about the kit. Not only does the car stop much better but the brake gives much better feedback and linear brake feel especially on track. This is the same system on their SUPER Taikyu series race car so you can be assured of reliability.

The system also offer tremendous unsprung weight saving that can be easily felt. most of you know the relationship between unsprung weight and sprung weight so I wont get into the details but the car feels much lighter and the turn-in are much quicker. Most of the savings came from the front (lost about the 14 Kg unsprung total) which is great for any FR car. I feel IMPUL have also slightly modified the brake balance of the car on purpose because the car is much more neutral now under braking. but this could be also due the fact so much unspurng weight is lost in the front.

The kit is not cheap by any means but I actually feel it’s relatively reasonable for what you are getting in return. I looked at many systems and quite frankly this kit is in a different league unless u compare to MOVIT or high end Alcon or Brembo’s GTR which will cost a lot more then again, those systems are not really for street use.. I highly recommend the kit to those that track often.

Thanks for reading
Old 06-21-2008, 10:51 AM
1BADV6

Now that's JDM

Sweet!
Old 06-21-2008, 10:53 AM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Did you actually pay retail? PM me if you dont wanna post.

what are the odds of 2 BBK reviews on the same day...
Old 06-21-2008, 12:31 PM
milelin

No. i paid much less then retail. I ordered it from Japan and paid in Yen. you got the impul kit too? i was told there has only been 3 systems made so far. one is on their demo car, one is sold to japan , and one is on my car in Taiwan.
Old 06-21-2008, 12:50 PM
J.Oh

great review what did you end up doing with the OEM Akebono brakes
Old 06-21-2008, 01:00 PM
GiGGaplease

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by milelin
No. i paid much less then retail. I ordered it from Japan and paid in Yen. you got the impul kit too? i was told there has only been 3 systems made so far. one is on their demo car, one is sold to japan , and one is on my car in Taiwan.
nah, he got the stoptechs.
Old 06-21-2008, 01:24 PM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by milelin
No I have the StopTechs... a lil bigger I think... 15 inch rotors up front... look for my review later today....

EDIT: ok... this is Max... Brian's name was signed in...
Old 06-21-2008, 01:27 PM
SOLISIMO

Originally Posted by Blackjack
No I have the StopTechs... a lil bigger I think... 15 inch rotors up front... look for my review later today....

:bowr oflbowrofl:
Old 06-21-2008, 02:12 PM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Blackjack

yup what He said... I mean what I said...
Old 06-21-2008, 02:52 PM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Looks good. Very nice car. You selling your OEM brakes? I know someone who is looking for a set.
Old 06-21-2008, 04:28 PM
gmlee86
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Love the Advans!!! Thats one of the 5 wheels I have picked out and they look great on the car
Old 06-21-2008, 05:41 PM
TomG37

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks good, you should sell your OEM's to a G35 sedan
Old 06-21-2008, 05:57 PM
gan78mao

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nice!!!
Old 06-21-2008, 07:06 PM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice pics, nice review.
Old 06-23-2008, 10:15 PM
milelin

thanks for the comments guys... although i dont see them selling much of this set but it is nice system that i willl recommend. i also noticed the akebono system is very good for an O.E setup. Chaging the pads and a set of brake lines should improve the brake feel siginifcantly

Quick Reply: IMPUL brakes review and pics