Heavy steering

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2021, 12:42 AM
BluesG
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heavy steering

I replaced my rack and pinion about a year ago on my 09 g37x sedan . It didn't come with the evo solenoid so I transferred the old one over to the new one.
Well the past few weeks the steering is hard to turn at low speeds/parking. Normal city and hwy driving it feels fine.
I flushed my power steering fluid even though I put all new in when I replaced the rack.
The evo solenoid is getting the proper voltage so I am going to assume that the steering control module is working properly.
The power steering pump isn't making any whining noises and the belt is tight like it should be. I can see the fluid moving around in the reservoir like normal.
So I am thinking the evo solenoid may possibly be bad and is stuck close.
Where can one get a replacement? I've tried the common search terms for the evo solenoid and I am having no luck.
Or anything I may have missed checking?
Old 08-13-2021, 01:28 AM
Said Amir
Registered Member

Received 139 Likes on 111 Posts
Check your power steering pressure sensor, it might be the cause. It usually does not throw a check engine light. You can run a scanner but it has to have a bit more features than a basic scanner to be able to read items like that. I noticed mine was bad with the Ecutek Bluetooth dongle, and after replacing it the steering wheel got a bit smoother but I am running 255 tires in the front so it is still a bit on the stiffer side when driving around the parking lot.
Old 08-14-2021, 04:31 PM
BluesG
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Said Amir
Check your power steering pressure sensor, it might be the cause. It usually does not throw a check engine light. You can run a scanner but it has to have a bit more features than a basic scanner to be able to read items like that. I noticed mine was bad with the Ecutek Bluetooth dongle, and after replacing it the steering wheel got a bit smoother but I am running 255 tires in the front so it is still a bit on the stiffer side when driving around the parking lot.
Thanks for the info. I'll look into it. I actually hooked it up to one of those expensive scan tablets from snap on. I may have missed it or it didn't pick it up. Where is the sensor located at? I've been looking at the fsm and I may have overlooked it.
Old 08-16-2021, 12:08 AM
Said Amir
Registered Member

Received 139 Likes on 111 Posts
It is on the passenger side a bit to the right from the power steering reservoir. If you do change it, just make sure to put a bunch of towels beneath it and loosen the old one, and screw on the new one quickly so you do not lose much power steering.