Brakes & Suspension Reviews on brakes & suspension for G vehicles.

How hard is it to change the steering rack?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2021, 09:14 PM
Infinibini
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
How hard is it to change the steering rack?

I have a 2008 G37 sport coupe, manual transmission.

I am not going to do it yet, but if/when I need to change the steering rack is it something that isn't too difficult to do myself? I've installed control arms, coilovers, sway bars, end links, on the car. On other cars of swapped engines, transmissions, head gaskets, clutches, but they were older simpler cars.

It would be nice if I could change it myself. Any pitfalls or problems? Will PS fluid pour out all over me when I take the lines off? Will the line bleed itself?

Thank you
Old 03-13-2021, 10:14 PM
crookncastle
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 62 Posts
i have never done a steering rack on a "g" but from your experience stated above you should not have a problem tackling the job. now i am not sure about the "g" but some vehicle's the sub frame is in the way of removal and you may need to lower it for clearance in order to get the steering rack out. as for fluid pouring out, start by vacuuming out the fluid in the reservoir with a turkey baster if you got one, then use a hose clamp to clamp the rubber section of the p/s hoses so when you disconnect the p/s hard lines on the rack you won't get a deluge of p/s fluid coming out of the lines. majority of the time you most likely need to transfer over the tie rods so count the number of turns otherwise you will throw the toe way off. as for bleeding fill the reservoir and turn the steering wheel lock to lock at least 2 times, top off to level, start the vehicle let it run for 5 seconds and shut it off then check fluid level, top off if needed and start the vehicle let it run and turn the steering wheel lock to lock. if you are still hearing whining noise there is air in the pump, stop the engine and let it sit and let the air and foam in the reservoir bleed out, top off fluid and start the vehicle.

Last edited by crookncastle; 03-13-2021 at 10:38 PM.