Upgrading the original Sport Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2019, 12:53 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
Upgrading the original Sport Brakes

Taking advantage of the 2019 Black Friday Sale at Z1 Motorsports, I bought this full set of 2-piece rotors, fronts and rears. It was a big single-item purchase at $982 shipped, which is a crazy premium over OEM rotors, but I’ve been planning on it for a long time, so they’ll be going on the car in May 2020. Between now and then I need to decide on a set of pads. I’m also on-again, off-again with respect to braided SS brake lines.

[edit]

There's a review on Post #79: https://www.myg37.com/forums/brakes-...ml#post4273349

As for what I’m looking for out of these brakes… mostly I’m optimistic about changes by reducing un-sprung, rotational weight. I’m also excited about how they’re going to look behind my Vossens. Insofar as an improved braking performance goes, I don’t really use the car in a way that high-performance braking matters… just neighborhood barnstorming and occasional road trips. No track days, no street racing, garaged year-round, and barely driven in the winter. With all that in mind, the OEM Sport brakes are totally fine, and probably even overkill anyway.

I’ve had the original Akebono sport pads on the car since 2011, which was 45,000 miles ago. They’re starting to squeal and pulsate more often than otherwise, and rust is building on the rotor hats & edges. It’s time to do brakes, and I’m wanting to upgrade. I need pads, and I’m open to braided SS lines even though I’m leaning towards “pass” on the lines. The install is going to be done at a shop I’ve been using for the last couple years, by a Nissan-trained mechanic. And lastly, I’m not interested in getting a MC brace.

So anybody who wants to offer their opinions, advice, questions… go for it. There are a lot of people here that I respect and would like to hear from.

Here are links to pads in the running. And I wonder why Z1 doesn't sell Hawk HPS for the Akebono BBK? I wrote to them asking why, and they linked me to the HP+ pads, which was a non-answer.

Last edited by Rochester; 05-16-2020 at 08:12 PM.
Old 12-02-2019, 01:08 PM
projectpanda13
Registered Member

Received 281 Likes on 231 Posts
When I did my z1 piece rotors, front and rear, I went ahead and put on z1"s braided lines and StopTech 309. Here's the review for mine:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/brakes-...ront-rear.html

The pads have been great, even with the colder temps now.
The following users liked this post:
Rochester (12-02-2019)
Old 12-03-2019, 08:41 AM
Rochester
Administrator

I was introduced to Savagegeese on YouTube last week. Great videos.

He's got one about braided SS brake lines that's pretty interesting.

Old 12-03-2019, 08:47 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Those rotors look

I think you'll definitely notice the difference in weight, especially on turn in.

I had the R-Spec/NISMO pads on my car, 2 different sets over the 65K or so I had it. Somewhere there is a Car & Driver review that documented some pretty decent reductions in stopping distance vs OEM. Pedal feel was great, and they never left pad deposits that gave off the 'warped rotor' feel.

But, based on how you say you drive, and the fact that you never feel like you felt the limitations of the OEM pads.....why not stick with OEM replacements? Anything more aggressive is likely to dust more.

Originally Posted by Rochester
And lastly, I’m not interested in getting a MC brace.
Yeah, definitely not worth it. Especially if you want to use your mechanic again someday.
The following 3 users liked this post by Lego_Maniac:
bikezilla (12-31-2019), qwntn (12-13-2021), Rochester (12-03-2019)
Old 12-03-2019, 08:48 AM
projectpanda13
Registered Member

Received 281 Likes on 231 Posts
If I could do it again, I would have honestly gone with Stop Tech lines instead of the Z1, I don't like how with Z1 it has a connection in the middle like OEM. I prefer the one piece design.
Old 12-03-2019, 08:54 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
But, based on how you say you drive, and the fact that you never feel like you felt the limitations of the OEM pads.....why not stick with OEM replacements? Anything more aggressive is likely to dust more.
Makes perfect, rational sense. The OEM sport brakes & pads are entirely adequate for daily driving. Overkill even, like I said.

Good advice, Lego. I've got a few months to decide if I'm going with rational decisions, or chasing braking performance that may or may not matter. In that same context, the Savagegeese review on braided lines reinforces a feeling like I shouldn't bother.

Last edited by Rochester; 12-03-2019 at 09:40 AM.
Old 12-03-2019, 01:13 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
I am glad you have decided to "opt out" on the master cylinder brace. It is definitely not worth the skinned knuckles and finger gymnastics required to install.

I have put stainless braided flex lines on all of my cars for probably the last 20 years, but really only because of racing and track days. Out there your brakes and tires are the most important parts of the car in terms of safety and I don't want to take any risks in that category that I don't have to. The added benefit on the street is a much firmer/shorter travel brake pedal. I noticed an immediate difference on my G37 with stainless braided lines, maybe partly because I am so used to them. As a result, it always took me a few tries to get a perfectly smooth stop in my wife's Maxima because the brakes just felt so different.

I think you will notice more difference with the brake lines than the 2pc. rotors. I noticed an extremely subtle difference in acceleration with my front 2pc. rotors, to the point that it may have been imagined. I noticed no difference in handling, but that may have been due to the fact that I run the stickiest tires this side of slicks and the suspension is already so dialed in that there was not much room for improvement. I also noticed that the weight savings was not nearly as dramatic as Z1 claims. 8 lbs. vs. 10 lbs. per side if I remember correctly. I am sure you will weigh new vs. stock too, but if you were not planning on it, please do as I am curious to see if you notice the same thing.

I wish I could be more help with brake pads, but my stock pads just won't die. I am pretty sure my car is still on the original pads and they will be 7 years old soon. I am always looking for pads that dust less so I don't have to clean my wheels as much, but I don't want to give up any braking performance. Logically, ceramic pads should dust less or least create less orange rail dust for your white paint so maybe take a look at Carbotech. I use their pads for track days and they dust less than the Hawk pads I used previously.

I was also considering pads from Tirerack that have good performance, but minimal dust. I see Tirerack now lists Akebono ceramic pads for our cars (I don't remember these being an option). Do we have ceramic pads on our cars to begin with? If you scroll down, Centric also lists some ceramic pads that are ridiculously cheap that have slightly better braking than the Akebono ceramics, but also slightly more dust. Stay away from anything even remotely mentioning track days or autocross, like Hawk HP Plus or Hawk blue pads. Those will turn your wheels black as quick as dedicated track pads, but with nowhere near the same performance on track. I am curious to see where you go with the pads. I am literally just waiting for my pads to start squealing so I can try something new.
The following 2 users liked this post by 4DRZ:
qwntn (12-13-2021), Rochester (12-03-2019)
Old 12-03-2019, 01:31 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Good comments. Not entirely what I was expecting, which is cool because that means I shouldn't be too quick about making decisions that I've got time to make.

I'm going to paraphrase what you wrote, tell me if I get what you're saying right or wrong:
  • Lower expectations on driving gains because of the light-weight rotors.
  • SS lines introduce an improved brake feel, regardless track or street.
  • There are all kinds of brake pads, but it probably doesn't matter with street-driven sport-brakes.

Last edited by Rochester; 12-03-2019 at 01:53 PM.
Old 12-03-2019, 02:41 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Good comments. Not entirely what I was expecting, which is cool because that means I shouldn't be too quick about making decisions that I've got time to make.

I'm going to paraphrase what you wrote, tell me if I get what you're saying right or wrong:
  • Lower expectations on driving gains because of the light-weight rotors.
  • SS lines introduce an improved brake feel, regardless track or street.
  • There are all kinds of brake pads, but it probably doesn't matter with street-driven sport-brakes.
Those are the basic points. I would steer toward ceramic pads (vs. semi-metallic) for the street to reduce dust on the rims and rail dust on your paint. It looks like we might already have ceramic pads due to the new Akebono listing I see on tire rack (or maybe I just forgot about them from the last time I looked at pads). That would explain why it seems like my pads dust a relatively small amount.
Old 12-11-2019, 08:12 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Reading up on Ape Factory's review thread. This guy really had a fantastic build. One of the bests here, IMO.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/brakes-...ismo-pads.html

It occurs to me reading that, bundling brake lines into this really isn't buying me anything. If I were to get new SS lines, there's no reason I can't do that down the road, as it's own project. Might do it, might not, either way it drops off consideration for the Spring install. So really all I have to figure out is which pads to get.

Ape went with Nismo pads. And unless I'm misinterpreting things, the Nismo pads have become much more affordable over the last couple years. Z1 Motorsports is selling them at $166 + shipping. OEM pads are $143. Virtually the same price.
Old 12-11-2019, 10:20 PM
RobC7
Registered Member

Received 295 Likes on 194 Posts
How long have the stock rotors/pads lasted for most of you?

It's really up to you how deep you want to get yourself into the rabbit hole. When it comes to cars and modifications I am a little obsessive and always looking to improve. However if you think some things through you will realize its most likely is not worth the $$ but at least it will get you to stop thinking about "what if...".

From what I see how you use the car, I'd stick with stock pads if you don't want your wheels to constantly be dirty. Since you will be bleeding the brakes anyway, get the SS lines.
Old 12-12-2019, 06:05 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Reading up on Ape Factory's review thread. This guy really had a fantastic build. One of the bests here, IMO.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/brakes-...ismo-pads.html

It occurs to me reading that, bundling brake lines into this really isn't buying me anything. If I were to get new SS lines, there's no reason I can't do that down the road, as it's own project. Might do it, might not, either way it drops off consideration for the Spring install. So really all I have to figure out is which pads to get.

Ape went with Nismo pads. And unless I'm misinterpreting things, the Nismo pads have become much more affordable over the last couple years. Z1 Motorsports is selling them at $166 + shipping. OEM pads are $143. Virtually the same price.
The MSRP and street price have always had a big gap. I got F/R pads when I got my car for $200.

You've probably read this, but here is a comparison of the OEM vs NISMO pads Car and Driver did. Shaved 10 feet off 70-0 stopping distances, but still not track capable pads, although it doesn't sound like you need that level of performance.

https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...lightning-lap/

Don't forget a good brake fluid.
Rochester (12-12-2019)
Old 12-12-2019, 07:00 PM
Rochester
Administrator

I'm SMH over this comparison. I think these are both OEM pads for the Nissan BBK, but these also don't seem to be the same product.

Can anybody explain? I'd ask Z1, but I already asked them why they don't have Hawk HPS on their site for the Nissan BBK Sport Brake setup, and they responded with a link to their Hawk HP Plus... which isn't the same thing. Thought that was odd.

Anyway, which one of these is OEM? I'm thinking it's the Z1 listing, and the Tirerack listing is a different pad made by Akebono.

Z1 Motorsports, OEM Nissan Sport Brake Pads
https://www.z1motorsports.com/front-...et-p-3811.html

TireRack.com, Akebono performance ceramic pads for the Nissan Sport Brakes
https://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brak...oModClar=Sport
Old 12-12-2019, 08:23 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by RobC7
How long have the stock rotors/pads lasted for most of you?
I've got 44,300 miles on my original brakes, rotors & pads, front & rear, for 9 years. I could probably go another 5-10K miles, but like I said in the OP, they're starting to squeal and pulsate and get somewhat rusty. It's time.

Originally Posted by RobC7
It's really up to you how deep you want to get yourself into the rabbit hole. When it comes to cars and modifications I am a little obsessive and always looking to improve. However if you think some things through you will realize its most likely is not worth the $$ but at least it will get you to stop thinking about "what if...".

From what I see how you use the car, I'd stick with stock pads if you don't want your wheels to constantly be dirty. Since you will be bleeding the brakes anyway, get the SS lines.
Thanks. I get what you're saying. And looking back at ownership on this car, I've always been most content walking into mods one at a time. So I'm pretty sure I'm going to look at brake lines another day, if I decide it's something I want to pursue after getting the new rotors & pads installed.

Last edited by Rochester; 12-13-2019 at 08:26 AM.
Old 12-13-2019, 03:50 AM
Crusher103
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
I have been eyeing those rotors for a while now. i might pull the trigger on them after the holidays. I have had a good experience with the stoptech sport and street pads. I would recommend the streets though the sports have great bite but my god do they dust. the savagegeese guy knows his stuff has great content, however a quality set of SS lines will not give you much of any issues, now these cheap ebay lines and etc with no give in them.....yea but just make sure you inspect them every time you are doing pads, keep your stock lines as backup for any mishaps and you are good to go. The SS lines though if you have pads with really good bite can turn your brake pedal into a switch the brakes are either on or off, can be annoying in traffic lol.
Rochester (12-13-2019)

Quick Reply: Upgrading the original Sport Brakes