Upgrading the original Sport Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2020, 08:20 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
The boxes themselves are labeled, but otherwise there's no obvious indication which side they go on, except to look at the cooling vanes. You make a reasonable point about this. Pretty harmless assist to the mechanic if I put a note directly on each rotor for the install.

With conventional wisdom I'm assuming the internal vanes should be angled towards forward direction, and not away from it, correct?

Wait... google... it's actually the other way? What the heck?

This allows the rotor to “naturally” generate a vacuum effect that will pump air throughout the rotor which helps its cooling efficiency.

"vacuum effect" Hmm.

Anyway, I wrote to Z1 just now for clarification.

Last edited by Rochester; 02-11-2020 at 09:38 AM.
Old 02-11-2020, 09:53 AM
Rochester
Administrator

John,
You read correctly. The rotors should be "Throwing" the air outward when spinning.

Welp, learned something today. The directional vanes inside the rotors should be swept *back* toward the rear of the car, just like this image here:

Old 02-12-2020, 11:40 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
The boxes themselves are labeled, but otherwise there's no obvious indication which side they go on, except to look at the cooling vanes. You make a reasonable point about this. Pretty harmless assist to the mechanic if I put a note directly on each rotor for the install.

With conventional wisdom I'm assuming the internal vanes should be angled towards forward direction, and not away from it, correct?

Wait... google... it's actually the other way? What the heck?

"vacuum effect" Hmm.

Anyway, I wrote to Z1 just now for clarification.
Glad to hear that Z1 is labeling their boxes now. When I got my slotted rotors there were no labels of any kind to tell you which side they were for. The really confusing part about the slotted rotors is that the slots go in the opposite direction of the cooling vanes so my rotors look to me like they are backwards because the slots angle forward. I called Spencer at Z1 to make sure I was putting them on the right way and told him they should label these things. I guess they finally got the message.
Old 02-12-2020, 12:23 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by 4DRZ
Glad to hear that Z1 is labeling their boxes now. When I got my slotted rotors there were no labels of any kind to tell you which side they were for. The really confusing part about the slotted rotors is that the slots go in the opposite direction of the cooling vanes so my rotors look to me like they are backwards because the slots angle forward. I called Spencer at Z1 to make sure I was putting them on the right way and told him they should label these things. I guess they finally got the message.
Well, the rotors themselves aren't marked for left-side, right-side. Obviously the fronts are different than the rears, but there's nothing indicating which side of the car they go. Seems they're putting stickers on the boxes themselves (below). But what if you take them out of the box and decorate your dining room with them for the winter?

And when you do that, there's no guarantee you put them back into the boxes they came from. So yeah, the rotors should be marked, and for the mechanic I'm going to put some masking tape on them for Driver Front, Driver Rear, Passenger Front, Passenger Rear.

Not to be obtuse, but I've always got stuck on "left" and "right", unsure if that means left when facing the car, or left when sitting in it.

Old 02-12-2020, 12:37 PM
Rochester
Administrator

When it comes to auto parts, the sides are determined by the position of the driver in the vehicle, facing forward.

OK, I just have to get over this and get it solid in my head that left side is drivers side, and that's all there is to it.

My first senior moment, I swear.
Old 02-12-2020, 12:39 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Well, the rotors themselves aren't marked for left-side, right-side. Obviously the fronts are different than the rears, but there's nothing indicating which side of the car they go. Seems they're putting stickers on the boxes themselves (below). But what if you take them out of the box and decorate your dining room with them for the winter?

And when you do that, there's no guarantee you put them back into the boxes they came from. So yeah, the rotors should be marked, and for the mechanic I'm going to put some masking tape on them for Driver Front, Driver Rear, Passenger Front, Passenger Rear.

Not to be obtuse, but I've always got stuck on "left" and "right", unsure if that means left when facing the car, or left when sitting in it.

The fact that they clearly label the boxes now would have saved me so much time before. Think of right and left as if sitting in the car. Left hand drive would be our cars with the steering wheel on the left.
Old 02-12-2020, 12:59 PM
Rochester
Administrator

OK, now I got this covered.

No surprises, and I'm solid that I've got the correct rotors for the appropriate sides of the car. Marked up the boxes and the rotors themselves for the install.

Oh, and nobody gets to mock my wife's tablecloth.

Last edited by Rochester; 02-12-2020 at 02:03 PM.
Old 02-12-2020, 02:58 PM
bPChaos
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts
Looks nice Rochester! Should be a good improvement in appearance and performance. It does look a lot cleaner without the brake calipers- you should try it that way first. Are your rotors labeled for which side to install them? My slotted rotors look like they are on backwards because the cooling vanes go in the opposite direction. Strange design.
The sprinkle slots don't really look off, but I have the same regular slotted rotors as you. I've just gotten used to them and I kinda like them that way now.

Name:  9ajTouW.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  78.8 KB
Old 02-16-2020, 07:29 PM
bikezilla
Registered Member

Received 277 Likes on 170 Posts
Placed one of the rear rotors on the floor, on a stack of books. Then I put the rear wheel over the rotor, and dropped in the lugnuts for good measure.

I suppose this is what the rear will look like, (if the calipers were invisible.)

Totally Badass!
that combination looks clean and tight. Well done!
it's going to be stellar on your car.

Last edited by bikezilla; 02-16-2020 at 08:31 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Rochester (02-16-2020)
Old 02-16-2020, 07:43 PM
bikezilla
Registered Member

Originally Posted by bPChaos
The sprinkle slots don't really look off, but I have the same regular slotted rotors as you. I've just gotten used to them and I kinda like them that way now.

Looking sharp.
Yes, that's the way the slots should be oriented. Even more-so because the internal cooling veins should be oriented towards the rear of the car.
Old 02-16-2020, 07:45 PM
bikezilla
Registered Member

The fact that they clearly label the boxes now would have saved me so much time before. Think of right and left as if sitting in the car. Left hand drive would be our cars with the steering wheel on the left.
I agree. The rotor RINGs should be marked F/R D/P front/rear driver/passenger.
no point in marking the hats, as they are interchangeable.
Old 02-16-2020, 07:46 PM
bikezilla
Registered Member

OK, I just have to get over this and get it solid in my head that left side is drivers side, and that's all there is to it.

My first senior moment, I swear.
Unless you have a JDM vehicle!
Old 02-16-2020, 09:09 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Why'd you delete that post. I had to google wutang, LOL

Is that a wrap or a hydrodip? When do they go on the car?
Old 02-16-2020, 10:10 PM
bikezilla
Registered Member

Why'd you delete that post. I had to google wutang, LOL

Is that a wrap or a hydrodip? When do they go on the car?
Hahaha. Yeah they're a safety enhancement organization. They specialize in Protect ya neck.

The parts are painted, hydrodipped & clear coated by Maincoast customs.
Installation in 2-3weeks or whenever I get some time!

Last edited by bikezilla; 02-17-2020 at 11:59 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Rochester (02-17-2020)
Old 02-17-2020, 07:05 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by bPChaos

Remind me again why your rims have 2 valve stems. Did it have something to do with bleeding out the air to force in nitrogen?

Quick Reply: Upgrading the original Sport Brakes