Brakes & Suspension Reviews on brakes & suspension for G vehicles.

Review Z1 2pc. slotted front rotors

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2021, 01:08 PM
Max2011
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
How is the rotor wear? I'm looking to buy these sometime in the future, but this is my daily driver which I always use as a street car of sorts. I need something that won't wear down insanely fast. Any thoughts?
Old 02-16-2021, 11:49 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by sobeIPL
Just to confirm, your saying you get a ring of rust that’s a few mm wide directly around the rotor hat b/ the pad doesn’t hit this spot. That correct? My rotors have this same issue and I HATE it.

I live near the beach and rust is a big problem for me. I am considering getting these z1 2 piece rotors mainly too look pimp and avoid rust but it sound like that ring between where pad coverage and rotor hat is still a problem. I thought maybe these rotors didn’t have all that excess rotor area that doesn’t contact pads but I guess it does
No, read the rest of my quote. The black paint should never wear off of the center of the rotor where it meets the hat in normal street use. It only happened to me because they got too hot at a track day when I was overdriving the car and braking too late to try to achieve a lap time. I got to my goal lap time, but it definitely put some extra wear on the brake pads.

Originally Posted by Max2011
How is the rotor wear? I'm looking to buy these sometime in the future, but this is my daily driver which I always use as a street car of sorts. I need something that won't wear down insanely fast. Any thoughts?
The rotor wears just fine. It should last longer than a regular rotor in just about every situation.
Old 02-17-2021, 05:44 PM
bPChaos
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
No, read the rest of my quote. The black paint should never wear off of the center of the rotor where it meets the hat in normal street use. It only happened to me because they got too hot at a track day when I was overdriving the car and braking too late to try to achieve a lap time. I got to my goal lap time, but it definitely put some extra wear on the brake pads.
I have this problem, but also related to track use. Normal use should not burn the paint off. The black ring around the rotor should stay like this (when new)

Name:  aDbk3Pb.jpg
Views: 618
Size:  116.2 KB

But if you do take it to the track and (accidentally) put way too much heat into the rotor, they look like this lol. They have a bunch of track days on them and probably something like 100,000 miles.

Z1 2pc. slotted front rotors-as7ick2.jpg
The following users liked this post:
spoolin03 (08-13-2024)
Old 10-07-2021, 01:15 PM
VibrantSedan13
Registered Member

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts
I just installed these yesterday, it might just be a placebo effect but I swear I can feel the difference. Car seems to take off quicker
Old 10-07-2021, 01:40 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
Originally Posted by VibrantSedan13
I just installed these yesterday, it might just be a placebo effect but I swear I can feel the difference. Car seems to take off quicker
Part heightened expectations, but part reality too.

The thing I noticed was how more nimble and controlled quick turn-ins are at low speeds. Autocross kind of stuff, but also if you're really into that kind of driving.

But otherwise, bling and bragging rights, FTW!
Old 10-07-2021, 02:46 PM
VibrantSedan13
Registered Member

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Part heightened expectations, but part reality too.

The thing I noticed was how more nimble and controlled quick turn-ins are at low speeds. Autocross kind of stuff, but also if you're really into that kind of driving.

But otherwise, bling and bragging rights, FTW!
That is a good explanation. It feels like a small move of the steering wheel results in the car swerving if that makes sense. I guess more responsive is the correct term lol
Old 10-07-2021, 03:57 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
Not sure if I would use the word "swerving", unless what you mean is the steering feels more responsive like you said. If I were to pretend to understand the physics, there's less rotational mass for the steering system to fight with. So in very specific turn-in situations, there's more confidence in the steering to where the experience is more precise. Match that with some wide 3-season tires, and aftermarket swaybars, and the close-ratio steering in the RWD Sport Package... it's about as good as this car can get, IMO. You could also use stiffer mounts in the drivetrain, so that when weight gets tossed around it's more a part of the chassis than it is something causing lift. That would improve how steering and throttle response is interpreted. I mean, it's all incremental. I think the only thing that could take it up another notch would be LW wheels.

I like the Z1 2-piece rotors a lot, even though I'm keenly aware how expensive they are for what you get. For daily driving, I still think the cost outweighs the gains, no matter how much I try and rationalize it.

Sure are pretty, tho. I'm very content with how the brake hardware looks behind my summer wheels.

Last edited by Rochester; 10-07-2021 at 04:18 PM.
The following users liked this post:
spoolin03 (08-13-2024)