A questionable and a short story about installing swift springs on my G sedan

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 09:22 PM
G37X GraSdadow
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
A questionable and a short story about installing swift springs on my G sedan

Hello and good evening.

I tried to install the swift springs on my 11 g37x sedan this long weekend.

I have 0 experience on DYI (except intake system) and this was first suspension work that I tried.

Due to 0 experience, I forgot to prepare the spring compressor. So I did all the way to taking off the stock coils (Took me 2 hours !!) but I was unable to take off the stock springs..

So I had to put everything back on

While I was putting everything back on, I was having hard time put the two-bolted black metal piece behind the rotor. I have the pictures below:

https://m.imgur.com/a/UmK88

Is this thing necessary to put back on? What is the purpose on these? It looks like it does nothing to hold or anything on performance wise..

Anyways, I was able to put it on the left side all the way and tightened it as it was before I took them off but I had really hard time put it back on the right side. So I just left them half screwed on left side.

I would appreciate it if you can explain what those pieces do, and if they are necessary for my vehicle.

Side story: so I took everything back on (I only took two wheels in front) and had to go somewhere quickly. And as I rode back, I felt something was VERY wrong. My car was shaking left and right and it was just out of the place. I thought I did something wrong on the suspension when I put them together so I was pissed. I was keep driving and felt that this was not good at all to drive. Man I was driving on highway going 45 on 60 with emergency lights on. So I stopped a car and thought about how am I going to fix this problem while it was raining so much outside. Then I realized. I felt so stupid. Since I took out only front two out, I only tightened the wheel nugs in front. NOT REAR (when I started I untightened all 4) so I went outside and tightened rear nugs while it was pouring outside feelings so stupid. After that my car drove fine excep that the alignments were off.. Probably from taking off/on the coils. Well I almost lost my life this weekend by my stupidness haha Thanks for reading my post!

Edit 1: stupid auto correct! And I can't even edit the subject line!

Last edited by G37X GraSdadow; 05-30-2016 at 09:43 PM.
Old 05-30-2016, 09:31 PM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

Received 340 Likes on 234 Posts
Originally Posted by G37X GraSdadow
Hello and good evening.

I tried to install the swift springs on my 11 g37x sedan this long weekend.

I have 0 experience on DYI (except intake system) and this was first suspension work that I tried.

Due to 0 experience, I forgot to prepare the spring compressor. So I did all the way to taking off the stock coils (Took me 2 hours !!) but I was unable to take off the stock springs..

So I had to put everything back on

While I was putting everything back on, I was having hard time put the two-bolted black metal piece behind the rotor. I have the pictures below:

https://m.imgur.com/a/UmK88

Is this thing necessary to put back on? What is the purpose on these? It looks like it does nothing to hold or anything on performance wise..

Anyways, I was able to put it on the left side all the way and tightened it as it was before I took them off but I had really hard time put it back on the right side. So I just left them half screwed on left side.

I would appreciate it if you can explain what those pieces do, and if they are necessary for my vehicle.

Side story: so I took everything back on (I only took two wheels in front) and had to go somewhere quickly. And as I rode back, I felt something was VERY wrong. My car was shaking left and right and it was just out of the place. I thought I did something wrong on the suspension when I put them together so I was pissed. I was keep driving and felt that this was not good at all to drive. Man I was driving on highway going 45 on 60 with emergency lights on. So I stopped a car and thought about how am I going to fix this problem while it was raining so much outside. Then I realized. I felt so stupid. Since I took out only front two out, I only tightened the wheel nugs in front. NOT REAR (when I started I untightened all 4) so I went outside and tightened rear nugs while it was pouring outside feelings so stupid. After that my car drove fine excep that the alignments were off.. Probably from taking off/on the coils. Well I almost lost my life this weekend by my stupidness haha Thanks for reading my post!

Yeahhhh, I'd just get the springs installed professionally
Old 05-31-2016, 09:03 AM
SonicVQ
Registered Member

Received 339 Likes on 274 Posts
Why not follow the factory service manual: Infiniti G35 / G37 Factory Service Manuals - NICOclub

It will tell you the name of the parts, how to remove them and how much to tighten them. When I work on my car, I ALWAYS DOUBLE CHECK every bolt I touched.
Old 05-31-2016, 09:14 AM
G37X GraSdadow
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by SonicVQ
Why not follow the factory service manual: Infiniti G35 / G37 Factory Service Manuals - NICOclub

It will tell you the name of the parts, how to remove them and how much to tighten them. When I work on my car, I ALWAYS DOUBLE CHECK every bolt I touched.
which PDF explains the suspension part? or the part that I'm questioning about?

edit: I got it. Thanks. I guess its 'stabilizer clamp'..

Last edited by G37X GraSdadow; 05-31-2016 at 09:26 AM.