Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 10:15 AM
G37X GraSdadow
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
5 Suspension Mods that can Ruin your Car - Engineering Explained

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_Jl...ature=youtu.be

Is this really true?

I was about to pull a trigger on swift springs and hotchkis sway bars on my 11 g37x sedan..

Should I NOT do it?

P.S. I don't go track / I don't abuse my car.
Old 04-14-2016, 10:47 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
The phrase "I don't track my car" is becoming a cliche.
  • Yes, CO's > Lowering Springs. However, don't sweat it. Swift Springs for the AWD Sedan have proven to be a reasonable mod.
  • Lowering "clamps"? Hahaha... that's nuts.
  • Sways for the G-Sedan are a proven handling mod. Our car is predisposed to understeer, and aftermarket sways correct that. I can't overstate how much of a slam-dunk this mod is.
  • Camber kits are properly used for correction when lowered, and not the other way around... unless that's your thing.
  • Very wide wheel spacers are a no-no. 20mm or less, properly installed, and you're fine.

That kid has some really good videos, but his voice drones on so much it kills me.
The following users liked this post:
G37X GraSdadow (04-14-2016)
Old 04-14-2016, 10:48 AM
AUR11

Received 78 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by G37X GraSdadow
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_Jl...ature=youtu.be

Is this really true?

I was about to pull a trigger on swift springs and hotchkis sway bars on my 11 g37x sedan..

Should I NOT do it?

P.S. I don't go track / I don't abuse my car.
Sways will make a big difference, but I would go with coilovers instead of springs, your car will not ride well or handle well because of the change in suspension geometry. To do it right, get full camber correction kits, and well paired coilovers.
Old 04-14-2016, 10:51 AM
VenomGT9
Registered Member

Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts
Originally Posted by AUR11
Sways will make a big difference, but I would go with coilovers instead of springs, your car will not ride well or handle well because of the change in suspension geometry. To do it right, get full camber correction kits, and well paired coilovers.
All depends HOW you drop it. Springs on stock suspension, they yes it will be rough. But pair springs with a set of Konis and you'll have a nice ride...plus it'll give us more traction for the hole shot.
Old 04-14-2016, 11:04 AM
G37X GraSdadow
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
The phrase "I don't track my car" is becoming a cliche.
  • Yes, CO's > Lowering Springs. However, don't sweat it. Swift Springs for the AWD Sedan have proven to be a reasonable mod.
  • Lowering "clamps"? Hahaha... that's nuts.
  • Sways for the G-Sedan are a proven handling mod. Our car is predisposed to understeer, and aftermarket sways correct that. I can't overstate how much of a slam-dunk this mod is.
  • Camber kits are properly used for correction when lowered, and not the other way around... unless that's your thing.
  • Very wide wheel spacers are a no-no. 20mm or less, properly installed, and you're fine.

That kid has some really good videos, but his voice drones on so much it kills me.
Thank you for the reply!!

I'm not trying to get a spacer.. Since I got oem 17" wheels, I thought spacer is not necessary. (I think it will look fine!)
Old 04-14-2016, 11:07 AM
G37X GraSdadow
Registered Member

Good Coilovers for X are so expensive!!!

Originally Posted by VenomGT9
All depends HOW you drop it. Springs on stock suspension, they yes it will be rough. But pair springs with a set of Konis and you'll have a nice ride...plus it'll give us more traction for the hole shot.
My X is really high up on the ground.. I want to low it just a little.

After researching Swift springs are most reliable springs for X so I just wanted to swap the springs hoping they won't cause any suspension issue.
Old 04-14-2016, 11:17 AM
Ricio1991
Registered Member

Received 113 Likes on 102 Posts
Thank you for the reply!!

I'm not trying to get a spacer.. Since I got oem 17" wheels, I thought spacer is not necessary. (I think it will look fine!)
I would recommend getting spacers with the 17in wheels, I am lowered on swift springs RWD sedan on 17's and definitely need spacers, not sure what size but I am going t look into adding that to the mod list.
Old 04-14-2016, 11:34 AM
Rochester
Administrator

After researching Swift springs are most reliable springs for X so I just wanted to swap the springs hoping they won't cause any suspension issue.
The AWD Swifts are a conservative, even drop, and work well with your OEM shocks. However, you will be introducing an extra 1.0* of neg camber, give or take a few tenths. By itself, that isn't a problem... it's the visuals that take a hit. Your 17" non-sport rims will look ridiculous tucked so deep into the fender.

If you're keeping the wheels, then get a set of 20mm spacer adapters. That will run an additional $200 or more.

Point being, even the most reasonable and least expensive project carries with it added expenses. You can't *just* drop the car... there are a lot of considerations.
Old 04-14-2016, 11:49 AM
AUR11

Good Coilovers for X are so expensive!!!

I had swfits on my X with stock shocks for a year and a half. My car rode like ****, and didn't take bumps in the road very well, after a while it became down right scary to drive as the handling was unpredictable. I have switched to Fortune Auto coils and it is night and day. Here is a good general rule, don't half *** something if you can't afford it now, save up the money and do it right the first time, otherwise you'll be paying twice for install and for springs.
Old 04-14-2016, 11:50 AM
AUR11

The AWD Swifts are a conservative, even drop, and work well with your OEM shocks. However, you will be introducing an extra 1.0* of neg camber, give or take a few tenths. By itself, that isn't a problem... it's the visuals that take a hit. Your 17" non-sport rims will look ridiculous tucked so deep into the fender.

If you're keeping the wheels, then get a set of 20mm spacer adapters. That will run an additional $200 or more.

Point being, even the most reasonable and least expensive project carries with it added expenses. You can't *just* drop the car... there are a lot of considerations.
They absolutely do not work well with the stock shocks in any way on the X.
Old 04-14-2016, 11:58 AM
Rochester
Administrator

They absolutely do not work well with the stock shocks in any way on the X.
My only personal experience was with Swifts and OEM Sport Shocks on the 6MT. So with regard to the AWD Sedan, mine was an anecdotal opinion from the forum. However, if your opinion is first hand, then I'll just defer to it.

Want to explain? Sounds like you're saying the non-sport shocks aren't paired well with Swift Springs.
Old 04-14-2016, 12:15 PM
AUR11

My only personal experience was with Swifts and OEM Sport Shocks on the 6MT. So with regard to the AWD Sedan, mine was an anecdotal opinion from the forum. However, if your opinion is first hand, then I'll just defer to it.

Want to explain? Sounds like you're saying the non-sport shocks aren't paired well with Swift Springs.
Yeah the stock shocks on the X are extremely soft and cause the car to bottom out quite easily. There were a few others on the forum who posted the same. If you were driving on the highway and hit a bump while going into a turn the car would almost feel out of control and just wasn't predictable. The ride just wasn't compliant as well.
Old 04-14-2016, 01:02 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Yeah the stock shocks on the X are extremely soft and cause the car to bottom out quite easily. There were a few others on the forum who posted the same. If you were driving on the highway and hit a bump while going into a turn the car would almost feel out of control and just wasn't predictable. The ride just wasn't compliant as well.
Then perhaps I should file that bit of miscellaneous info away, and not recommend AWD Swift Springs when matched with OEM non-Sport Shocks.

Will do.
Old 04-14-2016, 01:10 PM
G37X GraSdadow
Registered Member

Then perhaps I should file that bit of miscellaneous info away, and not recommend AWD Swift Springs when matched with OEM non-Sport Shocks.

Will do.
I guess my only option is getting the fortune C/Os...
Old 04-14-2016, 01:35 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Originally Posted by VenomGT9
+1

Springs & replacement shocks like Koni or Bilstein are going to be on par with entry level coilovers.

I think part of the problem is people lower their car on dampers that are already worn and the stiffer springs end up taking a toll on the shocks and accelerating them wearing out. Shocks are a maintenance item.
The following users liked this post:
Baadnewsburr (04-14-2016)

Quick Reply: 5 Suspension Mods that can Ruin your Car - Engineering Explained