Review Tein Mono Sport

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 09:18 AM
FlashGuy
Registered Member

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Tein Mono Sport

Thanks to Joe at ZSpeed Performance I was able to obtain a set of Tein Mono Sport coilovers for my '08 G37S Coupe 6MT. I spoke with ZSpeed to place the order and it was delivered the next day!

A little background about my car and what prompted this purchase. I used to own a '90 300ZX 5MT that was a pretty awesome car. It had 200k miles before I sold it.

Then, I bought an '03 G35 6MT sedan with the sports package. I owned this car for 10 years and was going to drive it into the ground until some fool rear-ended me and totaled the car in Atlanta. It was a hit and run. The perp drove off, almost hit 3 other cars, abandoned his car, and fled on foot.

I bought this G37S with the insurance check. The car came slightly modified with Injen long tube CAI, Invidia Gemini exhaust, Eibach lowering springs, and SPC camber rear arms. The car ran pretty well. It was quick and nimble, but the suspension was not cutting it for me. After a short time familiarizing myself with the car's character, the ride felt rough and imprecise. Small road imperfections felt sharp and jarring. This was not apparent in the test drive because I didn't get to really thrash it with it not being my car at the time. Something had to be done so when the government gave me back my hard earned money, I blew my load on a set of new coilovers.

I recently installed them myself at a buddy's shop. I'm fortunate to have chosen the right friends. Anyways, I'm floored by the difference. The coils transformed the porky G37 into something nimble and aggressive. Where the rear used to pitch back a bit before digging in, the rear tires now hook up more confidently and immediately. Body roll has been reduced greatly. This is with the dampers set to 6 front and rear for civil city driving. The sharp edges on road imperfections are now muted and damped very well. I don't cringe in anticipation of getting my fillings knocked out. Don't get me wrong the ride is stiff but very comfortable. Riding around Chicago's cratered roads is less of a nightmare. I will still be dodging those wheel devastators like the plague though.

I'm hoping to get in some track days coming up. I will update with how they perform.

Upcoming upgrades:
- SS brake lines
- Hotchkis swaybars
- SPL endlinks front and back
- SPL rear camber arms
- SPL front camber arms
- Setrab 25 row oil cooler
- DBA, RB, or Z1 2 piece rotors (maybe)

Last edited by FlashGuy; 04-13-2016 at 11:47 AM.
Old 04-13-2016, 11:08 PM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

Received 322 Likes on 231 Posts
Very cool and congrats! I looked very hard at the MonoSports and came very close to purchasing those and saving a ton of money in the process. Sounds like the damping matches the spring rates.

For the rear adjustment, the **** is near the top on the side? No extenders? Did they come with the spring preload and recommended ride height already set?

Be sure to report back when you've had them on for a few miles and have put them through their paces a bit more.
Old 04-13-2016, 11:41 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Nice initial review, sounds like a very impressive transformation. Like Ape Factory mentioned, please refresh the review once you've got some time on them. Are those Electronic damping compatible?
Old 04-14-2016, 12:12 AM
FlashGuy
Registered Member

@Ape Factory Thanks. It was thanks to your post about coilovers to remain at stock height that motivated me to action. It was quite technical and enlightening at the same time. How are the Aragosta coming along? Hope to see you post up shots of those things when you get a chance.

To answer your questions:

- Rear adjuster - correct, the rear adjuster is at the top of the coilover; just below the top hat mount. To be exact, looking at the right wheel straight on, it is rotated 45 degrees to the right inside the wheel well.

No extensions were included. The **** is generously large in anticipation of the slightly difficult to reach location. For my application, I would have to slightly raise the car with a floor jack to make a gap big enough for my arms to reach in to adjust. Maybe I can find another way like paying a random child to do it for me every time.

- Spring preload and ride height - the front coil overs where preloaded and set to the recommended height by Tein. The rear spring perch needed to be set. The rear damper height was preset. They also provided a reference settings in the manual for the 370Z, G37 sedan, and G37 coupe. Each was slightly different depending on the vehicle. I'll upload a scan when I get a chance. I followed the manual to the T for the initial install.
Old 04-14-2016, 12:14 AM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

Received 322 Likes on 231 Posts
They are EDFC compatible.
Old 04-14-2016, 12:16 AM
HoldmyMouse

Received 131 Likes on 111 Posts
I think you will REALLY feel it when you get the thicker sway bars. They should definitely be your next mod
Old 04-14-2016, 12:18 AM
FlashGuy
Registered Member

Brad, these were specifically designed with the EDFC Active and Active Pro in mind.

TEIN.com: MONO SPORT - PRODUCTS

Apparently, the motors and adjustment nut used in these controllers unlock finer grain adjustment levels that increase the adjustment from 16 way to 32 and 64 way adjustable coilovers.

It's interesting that you brought this up because that was going to be the next purchase. The EDFC Active Pro has speed sensors and G senors that effectively gives the G an active suspension!
The following users liked this post:
blnewt (04-14-2016)
Old 04-14-2016, 01:33 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 838 Likes on 716 Posts
Don't be quick to buy stabilizer bars. You've got added roll control with the stiffer springs. You don't want thick stabilizer bars making your independent suspension not so independent. They make more sense on a softer, stock car.
Old 04-16-2016, 12:59 AM
FlashGuy
Registered Member

Adding in the important pages from the manual.

The following users liked this post:
blnewt (06-12-2017)
Old 06-11-2017, 11:34 PM
FlashGuy
Registered Member

EDFC Active Pro installed. Haven't found a good place for the EDFC controller so it is double sided to an easily accessible place. There is a G sensor in there so it needed to be fixed to a stable spot.