Coilovers - Keeping OE Ride Height

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 01:51 PM
indycoupe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coilovers - Keeping OE Ride Height

I'm looking into options for coilovers (08 RWD G37) but want to substantially keep the ride height the same as stock (maybe .5 and inch lower).

I do mostly daily driving but want handling improvements when it counts or when I want to have fun.

Which coilover sets would you recommend? Is it necessary with front and rear sway bars?

Thanks in advance for your input!
Old 04-06-2016, 04:02 PM
guy from norcal
Registered Member

Received 352 Likes on 316 Posts
Originally Posted by indycoupe
I'm looking into options for coilovers (08 RWD G37) but want to substantially keep the ride height the same as stock (maybe .5 and inch lower).

I do mostly daily driving but want handling improvements when it counts or when I want to have fun.

Which coilover sets would you recommend? Is it necessary with front and rear sway bars?

Thanks in advance for your input!
Sounds like you would be better off buying some swaybars. and save that money for other mods if you don't want to lower it.
I believe most coilovers aren't meant for stock height. I could be wrong though.
Old 04-06-2016, 04:06 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 837 Likes on 716 Posts
You'll most likely be forced to buy true-type coil-overs. Even then you might have to change springs. You'll have to call vendors to find out the adjustment range of the damper bodies.

Check the sticky RWD Sedan coil-overs in the brakes and suspension forum for a pretty good (but not exhaustive) list of coil-overs. Except for the AWD cars, a sedan coil-over will fit a coupe.

And ask any further questions in that forum.

Sway bars are an entirely separate issue.
Old 04-06-2016, 10:54 PM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

Received 322 Likes on 231 Posts
I actually did a bit of research on this...the only set I've found so far that'll do stock, or even higher than stock, are the Aragostas. There are a number that come close to stock at their highest setting. It's not their recommended height but all three of the Tein coil overs currently in production for the G37 will get within half an inch of stock height.

The Aragostas will go over stock height although the recommended drop with them is about .9" lower in front, .75" in the rear, than the stock height. But most will list a minimum and maximum height.

Any particular set you're interested in?
Old 04-06-2016, 11:46 PM
indycoupe

Originally Posted by Ape Factory
I actually did a bit of research on this...the only set I've found so far that'll do stock, or even higher than stock, are the Aragostas. There are a number that come close to stock at their highest setting. It's not their recommended height but all three of the Tein coil overs currently in production for the G37 will get within half an inch of stock height.

The Aragostas will go over stock height although the recommended drop with them is about .9" lower in front, .75" in the rear, than the stock height. But most will list a minimum and maximum height.

Any particular set you're interested in?
That was just it, I couldn't find any that would be at their optimal use being stock ride height or up to .5inch lower at most... So thanks for doing that research, I didn't have as much luck. I'll take a look at the aragostas, those were advertised to work well at stock height?
Old 04-06-2016, 11:48 PM
indycoupe

Holy expensive!!
Old 04-07-2016, 12:20 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,942 Likes on 4,175 Posts
Holy expensive!!
Yep, those Aragostas are a top tier coilover in performance and cost. If you want a mild drop coilover on a mild budget the Tein basis is probably your best bet as these aren't a coilover that should be slammed. They don't have damper adjustment but are set up pretty good out of the box for a comfortable daily driver. But even this milder set has a recommended range of 1.4" front 1" back. You can drop only .7" front and .6" back but it's out of the recommended "green" range so damper life &/or performance may be clipped.
TEIN USA | COILOVER KIT & SPRING KIT SEARCH ?INFINITI?G37 COUPE?2008+?STREET BASIS
Old 04-07-2016, 12:24 AM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

I'll spill all the details when I confirm everything but I should be able to get the Aragostas for substantially less than what they're being sold by a shop here in the U.S. Like a grand less.
Old 04-07-2016, 12:42 AM
kennyz424

Received 1,499 Likes on 1,272 Posts
$3,000- $4,000!?!?!? I almost caught a heart attack seeing those prices after a bit of research since I've never heard of the namebrand Aragostas. Insanity!

I'd recommend a set of Hotchkis sway bars. It'll do wonders for your handling!

http://www.hotchkis.net/product/2008...-sway-bar-set/
Old 04-07-2016, 08:27 AM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

Sway bars are basically a band-aid that doesn't allow the suspension to act independently left to right. The thicker you get with sway bar diameter, the worse the effect it has on the suspension's ability to operate as you're tying the two sides together. If you read up on the 370Z forums, some of the guys who have gone up in spring rate actually remove their rear sway bars! Why? Better rear end grip and the extra spring rate and better damping curves keep sway in check.

Aragosta has been around for a long, long time and I've used them on other cars. They basically use the same inner cartridges as AST/Moton which is why AST in the states can repair the later models. Aragosta Japan (they're actually a Netherlands company and were founded by a few Ohlins engineers) makes the shock bodies and casings themselves and they do all the testing on JDM vehicles and they're very active in various racing bodies.

You truly get what you pay for. Since there aren't a ton of reviews state site, just google AST coilover review. You'll get a good idea of just how well Aragostas perform too.

$3K+ is a serious commitment to shocks but again, Aragostas, due to the favorable exchange rate, can be had for less. The Type E with rubber upper mounts is in the same price range, and less, than some Teins. You just have to do your research and NOT buy through a certain U.S. vendor who's tacking on hundreds of $$$, if not a cool grand, onto the price.
The following users liked this post:
blnewt (04-07-2016)
Old 04-07-2016, 08:31 AM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

That was just it, I couldn't find any that would be at their optimal use being stock ride height or up to .5inch lower at most... So thanks for doing that research, I didn't have as much luck. I'll take a look at the aragostas, those were advertised to work well at stock height?
Just remember their recommended height is for handling purposes due to center of gravity. Most come with threaded lower shock bodies now so the height adjustment is independent of spring preload and shock stroke. So running Teins on their highest setting doesn't affect how the shock performs. As long as there's enough thread within the top adjustment range to keep everything secure, you'll be good.

The Aragosta Type E with rubber upper mounts is about $400 less expensive than the Type S and is biased towards street rather than track. I believe they have a stainless or steel body as opposed to the S aluminum bodies.
blnewt (04-07-2016)
Old 04-07-2016, 08:41 AM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

I'm in no way connected to them but TH Motorsports (and several other vendors) will often list the lowering specs for various coil over kits but not all.
Suspension » Coilover Systems Products for: 2013 INFINITI G37 IPL 6Cyl 3.7L - THMotorsports - Discount Performance Car & Truck Parts Sale | Lowest Price | Free Shipping
slartibartfast (04-07-2016)
Old 04-08-2016, 10:09 PM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

Posted this in another thread but more appropriate here...the RSR Sport i coil overs will maintain the stock ride height.
Infiniti G37 2DR Sports-i Coilovers 2009+ | RS-R USA

The Black-i's will not achieve stock ride height. The sports-i's have reasonable spring rates for the street too.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:24 AM
zib331

I saw a thread somewhere stating the the NISMO 370Z strut and spring combo fits our g's no problem. Please go this route and post pics!!
Old 04-11-2016, 10:02 AM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

Why would you use a set of struts and springs which aren't optimized for the G37's increase in weight and wheelbase? Also the spring length is shorter so there's going to be a drop in ride height. Better off going with IPL springs/shocks which do not lower the car yet provide an increase in spring rate and damping.

It is possible to use Nismo Z springs but it wouldn't be optimal if you're trying to maintain the stock ride height.

Quick Reply: Coilovers - Keeping OE Ride Height