Coilovers - Keeping OE Ride Height

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 03:53 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 837 Likes on 716 Posts
I've seen several mentions on My350Z and The370Z that the NISMO parts give a bad ride in the Z. Probably won't be as bad on a G with its extra weight but I suspect the dampers aren't valved very well for the street. And yes, you'll get at least a one inch drop, if not more.
Old 04-13-2016, 05:53 PM
evil-G-nius
Registered Member

Received 395 Likes on 238 Posts
I just don't see the point in wasting money on coils if you are going to stay stick height. It is truly pointless, have you thought about springs? They are a mild drop, more performance than stock without sacrificing drive-ability and without breaking the bank. Why are you set on coils? Just curious
Old 04-13-2016, 06:17 PM
indycoupe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evil-G-nius, the point of doing coilovers without lowering the height is to maintain the stock functionality (i.e. being able to go up steep driveways, over speed bumps, or hit pot holes without scraping the bumper, bottoming out, or getting stuck) while improving the performance and handling of the vehicle (I don't think I need to explain this part...). Point being, my G is a daily (50 mile) driver that I want to stay flat and predictable in corners.

The reason I am avoiding shocks is simply because I don't want to be lower and lose that functionality.

I've ordered Stillen sway bars and will put them on soon. Stillen was an intentional choice as, based on my set up (and research), the stiffer Hotchkiss were not favorable. If I still need to improve the handling for my taste moving forward, I'll look into finding a deal on the mortgage worthy set up or the RSRs. I wouldn't want to run a set up at its limit or beyond to avoid imbalances and bad ride quality as my desire for functionality also means comfort.

Thank you to all who responded and those who found things I could not. I've gotten some good information and will check back when I've done the sway bar swap!
Old 04-14-2016, 03:12 AM
evil-G-nius
Registered Member

Received 395 Likes on 238 Posts
Originally Posted by indycoupe
Evil-G-nius, the point of doing coilovers without lowering the height is to maintain the stock functionality (i.e. being able to go up steep driveways, over speed bumps, or hit pot holes without scraping the bumper, bottoming out, or getting stuck) while improving the performance and handling of the vehicle (I don't think I need to explain this part...). Point being, my G is a daily (50 mile) driver that I want to stay flat and predictable in corners.

The reason I am avoiding shocks is simply because I don't want to be lower and lose that functionality.

I've ordered Stillen sway bars and will put them on soon. Stillen was an intentional choice as, based on my set up (and research), the stiffer Hotchkiss were not favorable. If I still need to improve the handling for my taste moving forward, I'll look into finding a deal on the mortgage worthy set up or the RSRs. I wouldn't want to run a set up at its limit or beyond to avoid imbalances and bad ride quality as my desire for functionality also means comfort.

Thank you to all who responded and those who found things I could not. I've gotten some good information and will check back when I've done the sway bar swap!
Again..seems pointless. Is your coupe an S model? If not, why not get some stock S springs...they should be stiffer than a regular journey coupe if I am not mistaken. A little more sure footed in the corners, daily driveable, and a hell of a lot less money than a coil setup that you are not going to utilize to its fullest. In the end its your money, but you asked for opinions and help...I was just trying to help
Old 04-14-2016, 09:32 AM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

Received 322 Likes on 231 Posts
If you do that, you're matching a higher rate spring with a shock not designed to work with that rate. You end up with a bad ride and premature shock wear and would get that "bouncy" feeling as the damper can't control the shock's oscillation. So add the sport shocks to the price. Or just get IPL springs and shocks which are better yet. Of course by the time you do that, you're within range of some decent coil overs.

IPL springs and adjustable Konis might be interesting.

Stock ride height and performance are not mutually exclusive.
Old 04-14-2016, 10:53 AM
supreme
Registered Member

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
EWWWW, coils with no drop? No thanks...
Old 04-14-2016, 12:16 PM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

Received 322 Likes on 231 Posts
Coils with no drop is certainly better than the alternative of breaking mechanicals and body parts on your shiny G.
Old 04-14-2016, 12:18 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

"EWWWW, coils with no drop? No thanks..."

A priceless comment. As in, no value at all.

There a lot of mods people do to their cars that I find pointless but I don't irritate them by saying so. One man's trash is another man's treasure. It takes all kinds.
Old 04-14-2016, 12:24 PM
supreme
Registered Member

Originally Posted by slartibartfast
"EWWWW, coils with no drop? No thanks..."

A priceless comment. As in, no value at all.

There a lot of mods people do to their cars that I find pointless but I don't irritate them by saying so. One man's trash is another man's treasure. It takes all kinds.
Welp...that would be a priceless mod (by your definition) if you keep stock height.

As heavy as these cars are, center of gravity really works against handling. The same curves I could take in my lowered TL at 80 MPH are the same I have to take in the G @ 60 mph. Body roll, and weight of these cars have a big part.

If you TRULY want to stay OEM height (and I am against this by opinion of what has been stated in this reply), go with koni yellows, and change your sway bar up...There is no need to get coils.

Kind of like wearing a parachute while riding on a train. You just don't need the extra features...
Old 04-14-2016, 12:25 PM
supreme
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Ape Factory
Coils with no drop is certainly better than the alternative of breaking mechanicals and body parts on your shiny G.
And yes, I am aware of the tasks of lowering (I have been there), but in moderation, you will manage.
Old 04-14-2016, 01:02 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by supreme
Welp...that would be a priceless mod (by your definition) if you keep stock height.
That would be a negative. The OP laid out his reasons and they are certainly reasonable. Yes, he is compromising handling a bit but he's aware.

Your perspicacity in pooh-poohing his desire is not so reasonable. We know what you think now and you won't persuade the OP to change his mind. Let's move on, please.
The following users liked this post:
indycoupe (04-15-2016)
Old 04-14-2016, 01:05 PM
supreme
Registered Member

Originally Posted by slartibartfast
That would be a negative. The OP laid out his reasons and they are certainly reasonable. Yes, he is compromising handling a bit but he's aware.

Your perspicacity in pooh-poohing his desire is not so reasonable. We know what you think now and you won't persuade the OP to change his mind. Let's move on, please.
At the end of the day, it was an opinion, and I am not going to apologize for giving it. This is a forum, and I am going to continue to treat it as such.

*moving on*
Old 04-14-2016, 01:12 PM
ModInJapan
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by indycoupe
I'm looking into options for coilovers (08 RWD G37) but want to substantially keep the ride height the same as stock (maybe .5 and inch lower).

I do mostly daily driving but want handling improvements when it counts or when I want to have fun.

Which coilover sets would you recommend? Is it necessary with front and rear sway bars?

Thanks in advance for your input!
Sway bars will improve your handling . I would suggest sway bars with thicker end links, under braces, front and rear sturt bars.

Hope that helps
The following users liked this post:
indycoupe (04-15-2016)
Old 04-14-2016, 01:22 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

And I will mention that as spring rate goes up, sway bar thickness required for roll control generally falls. Many of the Z guys who go coil-over install a thicker front bar and either leave the rear alone or dispense with the rear bar entirely.
Old 04-14-2016, 02:14 PM
Eljefemoreno96

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Try looking into getting the tanabe coilovers, I've had them on my car for a year now and still feel pretty good. They feel just like stock and adjusting is super easy. So if you'd like to go lower you can because with shocks you'll stay at the same height

Quick Reply: Coilovers - Keeping OE Ride Height