Front Suspension Clunk?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 03:56 PM
JUMBO PALACE
Registered Member

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts
Front Suspension Clunk?

Hey all,

I did some searching but couldn't find a straight answer just a lot of conjecture. I've been getting what sounds like a metal on metal clunk from my front driver's side suspension. And I do mean clunk. It sounds exactly like metal *clunking* on metal. It isn't constant, but it tends to happen more at low speeds, especially upon acceleration right after pressing the pedal.

I am lowered on Swifts with an SPC camber kit and I've read that the stock endlinks can't support lowered suspension. I've had the car looked at by my local shop but they couldn't hear anything when they drove it and suggested I bring it back next time it starts happening, but I haven't been around town when it's come back.

Do endlinks sounds like a reasonable conclusion? If so, what's the best way to go about addressing the problem? OEM is cheap but what's the point if they're just going to crap out on me? Thanks all.
Old 04-04-2016, 04:00 PM
coupecruisin

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
I suspect it is your endlinks. Raise car, disconnect links from sway bar, secure links and sway bar using zip ties, take for quick test spin. If the clunking is gone then replace the links. Get the ones with the grease zerk fittings.
Old 04-04-2016, 04:02 PM
chuckie311
Drop A Gear and Disappear

Received 194 Likes on 160 Posts
replace the OEM junk with aftermarket ones... i switched to SPL endlinks when i put on my swaybars.
but now i get the Clunking from the Aftermarket SPL upper camber arms
Old 04-04-2016, 04:04 PM
chuckie311

Originally Posted by coupecruisin
I suspect it is your endlinks. Raise car, disconnect links from sway bar, secure links and sway bar using zip ties, take for quick test spin. If the clunking is gone then replace the links. Get the ones with the grease zerk fittings.
Endlinks do not come with Zerk Fittings!!
Old 04-04-2016, 04:06 PM
JUMBO PALACE
Registered Member

I Figured as much. Follow up question, is there any immediate safety issue caused by worn out links that would necessitate me buying them asap?
Old 04-04-2016, 08:14 PM
chuckie311

you wont have any issues...might notice that the car doesn't handle as well around corners but that's about it
Old 04-04-2016, 08:36 PM
si_driver
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts
When you installed the swifts, did you do your own work or had a shop do it for you?

When I first did my swift's I got a weird clunk as well and couldn't figure out what it was for a couple of weeks. In the end, I found the problem to be the top nut holding the shock in the shock mount.

I did not tighten it enough and under driving conditions it moved a little and made a weird metal clunking noise.

once I tighten them, no more noise.
Old 04-04-2016, 09:35 PM
JUMBO PALACE
Registered Member

Originally Posted by si_driver
When you installed the swifts, did you do your own work or had a shop do it for you?

When I first did my swift's I got a weird clunk as well and couldn't figure out what it was for a couple of weeks. In the end, I found the problem to be the top nut holding the shock in the shock mount.

I did not tighten it enough and under driving conditions it moved a little and made a weird metal clunking noise.

once I tighten them, no more noise.
That's a little complicated. My local shop did the original install and reversed the hardware for the toe bolts and control arms. I had it fixed at a race shop that's familiar with the platform when I realized something was very wrong.

So, short answer, no it was a shop. I'll see if I can take a look though.
Old 04-04-2016, 10:51 PM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 320 Likes on 277 Posts
Originally Posted by chuckie311
Endlinks do not come with Zerk Fittings!!
I have endlinks with zerks...Moog Problem Solvers
Old 04-05-2016, 10:01 AM
JUMBO PALACE
Registered Member

Did some digging and I don't think you can find front end links for the X models. Only thing that seems to be available for them is the rears. Maybe I'll just have to replace them periodically. It's not like they're expensive so no big deal I suppose.