My mechanic ****ed up (need help)

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2016, 09:06 PM
VinceXS

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry My mechanic ****ed up (need help)

Alright so about 2 weeks ago I went to a shop to make them install my Tanabe NF210 springs.

Got the car, back and everything seemed fine but then today when I swapped out my winter tires for summer ones, I had a little surprise.

As I took out my front left wheel, the upper arm separated itself from the "knuckle". So upon further inspection, It looks like the knuckle bolt wasn't tightened after the spring installation, because I don't have one anymore.

Reference picture for the bolt I'm talking about (from a DIY thread)

Name:  08-removeknucklebolt.jpg
Views: 458
Size:  77.3 KB

So my question to you guys are:

1- Do you know the specs of this bolt and nuts and where I could buy them
2- Can I still drive my car to whatever part store or do I risk killing myself

Thanks!
Old 04-02-2016, 10:13 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
You're saying that the bolt that's circled in the photo is not currently on your car??? Wow. No, do NOT drive it anywhere. Replace it immediately. Or better yet, call the "mechanic" who "worked on" your car and curse his mother for not drowning him at birth and have him provide the bolt and fasten it properly.
The following 2 users liked this post by Black Betty:
bikezilla (06-06-2016), Presto (04-03-2016)
Old 04-02-2016, 10:20 PM
KidJai06
Registered Member

Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts
Wow, have you been driving your car w/o that bolt? I wouldn't go anywhere without fixing it, I would think one wrong bump, turn, etc. could leave you with much much bigger problems. I'm not sure on the bolt specs but perhaps take the other side out and take it to a local hardware store to match it up or if you have an Infinity dealer close by give them a call to see if they have one in stock.
Old 04-02-2016, 10:26 PM
kennyz424

Received 1,499 Likes on 1,272 Posts
STOP! DON'T EVEN START THE CAR LET ALONE THINK ABOUT DRIVING ANYWHERE! WALK OR HITCHHIKE TO THE CLOSEST HARDWARE STORE IF YOU MUST!

But I 100% agree with BlackBetty call this azzhole "mechanic" of yours and let him drive his azz to your house with the bolt and do the labor right there on the spot then give him a beating if he even looks at you the wrong way! I'd rip this guy's head off man, God forbid something happened to you driving 60mph on the highway or something. This isn't something small in my opinion this could've been life threatening at the wrong speeds.

I'm truly glad you're okay man but definitely get this fixed. I wish I was able to help you with specs on the exact bolt needed but unfortunately I can't help with that. But your "mechanic" should be able to help you with it before you bury him! Hopefully it's a reputable shop so you can destroy them on Yelp lol
Old 04-02-2016, 10:44 PM
Landshark
Registered Member

Received 188 Likes on 146 Posts

good luck, hope the "mechanic" who f'd up fixes it to your satisfaction.
The following users liked this post:
bikezilla (06-06-2016)
Old 04-02-2016, 11:14 PM
HoldmyMouse

Received 131 Likes on 111 Posts
I have no clue why your mechanic needed to remove the bolt for a simple spring installation. Are you missing both sides or just one side?
Old 04-03-2016, 02:52 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by HoldmyMouse
I have no clue why your mechanic needed to remove the bolt for a simple spring installation. Are you missing both sides or just one side?
This^^^^ Or were aftermarket camber arms added at the same time??
G/L
Old 04-03-2016, 04:08 AM
Presto

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
Why you don't go for the cheapest Spring replacement quote.
Old 04-03-2016, 09:09 AM
VinceXS

Originally Posted by HoldmyMouse
Just 1 side, and no aftermarket camber kit was installed
Old 04-03-2016, 09:29 AM
G37sGraphite

Received 140 Likes on 115 Posts
Why people go to mechanics I don't even know.......the only way to guarantee its done right is do it yourself. I have not taken my cars in to mechanics for over 10 years now for reasons like this...
The following users liked this post:
Kris9884 (06-08-2016)
Old 04-03-2016, 07:40 PM
crookncastle
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 62 Posts
there was no need for the mechanic to even remove that bolt from the upper control arm to spindle. the coil over can be removed without taking out that bolt you hav circled in the picture.
Old 04-04-2016, 04:03 PM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by VinceXS
Alright so about 2 weeks ago I went to a shop to make them install my Tanabe NF210 springs.

Got the car, back and everything seemed fine but then today when I swapped out my winter tires for summer ones, I had a little surprise.

As I took out my front left wheel, the upper arm separated itself from the "knuckle". So upon further inspection, It looks like the knuckle bolt wasn't tightened after the spring installation, because I don't have one anymore.

Reference picture for the bolt I'm talking about (from a DIY thread)

So my question to you guys are:

1- Do you know the specs of this bolt and nuts and where I could buy them
2- Can I still drive my car to whatever part store or do I risk killing myself

Thanks!
Most likely the nut was OVERTIGHTENED, and broke.

The FSM recommends replacing that nut and bolt whenever its removed.
Cheap insurance.
Go to a Nissan dealer, and get a pair from a 370Z.
Torque to 41ft lbs
Old 04-04-2016, 04:18 PM
kennyz424

Received 1,499 Likes on 1,272 Posts
Originally Posted by G37sGraphite
Why people go to mechanics I don't even know.......the only way to guarantee its done right is do it yourself. I have not taken my cars in to mechanics for over 10 years now for reasons like this...
Alot of people aren't DIY capable and some have no clue where to even begin, even with directions, which is why we have mechanics. But unfortunately most of them are just as clueless and go on a whim on many jobs they do. I can't explain the number of bad mechanic reviews I've heard throughout my life which is really what made me learn things starting out small and building from there, and started doing most of my work myself as well.

But if I come across something I'm not sure of I'm usually there by the mechanic breathing down his neck and learning which is why I don't take it to across shop that won't allow me not to be present And if it's a job that'll take a while then I'll pay the extra money and take it somewhere reputable and make sure a guarantee or warranty on their work is provided.
Old 04-04-2016, 11:45 PM
JeffG37x

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Same here Kenny. I literally interviewed about 10 shops before deciding on one to install my springs. A few shops told me that I was crazy for asking so many questions and I was happy NOT to do business with these folks.

I also insist to talk to the person and meet the person who is working on my car before they even touch it . Then I watch them and bring my kids there the day of work so they know it's more than just me they can affect by doing something like this.
Old 04-04-2016, 11:48 PM
VinceXS

Got everything fixed now, still alive, amen

Quick Reply: My mechanic ****ed up (need help)