Coils suggestions ???

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 04:59 PM
Huaniitoo
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Coils suggestions ???

So I'm looking at getting some coils for my 2012 G RWD and need some suggestions on good brands? I just want to get rid of the wheel gap and a smooth ride home. Eventually I will get either 19s or 20s but for now I'll keep the ugly stock wheels
Old 03-15-2016, 05:07 PM
RxRyanM
Registered Member

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
Did you search or look in the suspension sub-forum? Because you should.
Old 03-15-2016, 05:34 PM
chuckie311
Drop A Gear and Disappear

Received 194 Likes on 160 Posts
im running tein street flex and love them
Old 03-15-2016, 05:36 PM
Huaniitoo
Registered Member

Originally Posted by chuckie311
im running tein street flex and love them
How's the comfort ?
Old 03-15-2016, 05:48 PM
chuckie311
Drop A Gear and Disappear

Received 194 Likes on 160 Posts
i have them set all the way up and the ride is still great. i had Eibach's for a few years but glad i switched to coilovers the ride is 100 times better
Old 03-15-2016, 09:07 PM
juan goose
Premier Member

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Eibachs are good. Tien street basics are a good price point for what they offer. Tanabe makes decent one. I have those and got rid of wheel gap. Any coilover will get rid of the gap. As for comfort some people have varied opinions on harshness/comfort. Depending how low you go get a camber kit as well. Good luck.
Old 03-15-2016, 09:08 PM
beachbum718

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Bc coils.when installs right they are great.
Old 03-15-2016, 11:15 PM
Huaniitoo
Registered Member

Originally Posted by juan goose
Eibachs are good. Tien street basics are a good price point for what they offer. Tanabe makes decent one. I have those and got rid of wheel gap. Any coilover will get rid of the gap. As for comfort some people have varied opinions on harshness/comfort. Depending how low you go get a camber kit as well. Good luck.
How's the comfort on yours ?
Old 03-16-2016, 12:17 AM
juan goose
Premier Member

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Ride is perfect for me. Smooth riding down the road.
Old 03-18-2016, 02:20 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
If you are concerned about ride quality why don't you just get lowering springs? Coilovers usually do not ride very well on the street. I have a set of Tein Basis coilovers and they are about the smoothest riding coilovers I have ever had on a car (and I have had a lot of coilovers over the years), but I would still say just about any lowering springs will ride better than any coilovers.
Old 03-18-2016, 02:23 PM
AUR11

Received 78 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
If you are concerned about ride quality why don't you just get lowering springs? Coilovers usually do not ride very well on the street. I have a set of Tein Basis coilovers and they are about the smoothest riding coilovers I have ever had on a car (and I have had a lot of coilovers over the years), but I would still say just about any lowering springs will ride better than any coilovers.
I disagree, I had swifts on my X previously and the car rode like crap. I switched to FA500 coils and the car rides better than it did when it was stock. A well made set of coils will easily ride as good if not better than a car did stock. But if you were to pair a set of lowering springs with koni yellows, you would have a great setup too.
The following users liked this post:
VIVID (03-18-2016)
Old 03-18-2016, 02:28 PM
ZOSTER33
Premier Member

Received 228 Likes on 166 Posts
You know what the most important question here to is Juanito....how much money do you want to spend on the coilovers? The best ones are going to cost you money $1500 to $2500.
Old 03-18-2016, 08:44 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by AUR11
I disagree, I had swifts on my X previously and the car rode like crap. I switched to FA500 coils and the car rides better than it did when it was stock. A well made set of coils will easily ride as good if not better than a car did stock. But if you were to pair a set of lowering springs with koni yellows, you would have a great setup too.
That is very unusual for springs to ride worse than coilovers as most coilovers have a stiffer spring and dampening. Especially Swifts- I was originally planning to get those and everyone told me they rode great. Most people told me they rode better than the Tein Basis and these have easily been the best riding coilovers I have ever had, especially the best Teins. I think the only exception would be Rochester who has a Swift/Tein Basis setup and thinks both ends ride about the same. How many miles were on your shocks when you got the Swift springs?
Old 03-19-2016, 02:04 AM
ZOSTER33
Premier Member

Received 228 Likes on 166 Posts
That is very unusual for springs to ride worse than coilovers as most coilovers have a stiffer spring and dampening. Especially Swifts- I was originally planning to get those and everyone told me they rode great. Most people told me they rode better than the Tein Basis and these have easily been the best riding coilovers I have ever had, especially the best Teins. I think the only exception would be Rochester who has a Swift/Tein Basis setup and thinks both ends ride about the same. How many miles were on your shocks when you got the Swift springs?
I think he was referring to the swift lower springs and not swift springs you can upgrade or downgrade to on coilovers.
Old 03-21-2016, 11:47 AM
AUR11

Received 78 Likes on 61 Posts
I have swifts on my FA coils, 9k front and 8k rear. The spring rates are perfect for a daily driver and not bouncy at all. The real part of a good ride quality is having the dampening set appropriately. I am at 5 clicks front and 4 clicks rear, max is 24. Previously with my swifts and stock dampers, the car always felt like it was out of control when I'd hit a bump. Probably would not have been an issue if they made Koni's for the X.

Quick Reply: Coils suggestions ???