Are Tein Basis worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 11:40 PM
californiadre

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are Tein Basis worth it?

Hey Guys,

I'm looking to upgrade a few suspension components in the coming months. I was thinking to first get coilovers then move to camber arms and sway bars. I read a couple reviews on the Tein Basis coilovers but am still hesitant about their performance. Will they perform better than stock spring/shock setup around corners? I go on spirited drives through the canyons about twice a week so I would like to get something that's performance oriented. Any input on this is appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 02-25-2016, 12:15 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by californiadre
Hey Guys,

I'm looking to upgrade a few suspension components in the coming months. I was thinking to first get coilovers then move to camber arms and sway bars. I read a couple reviews on the Tein Basis coilovers but am still hesitant about their performance. Will they perform better than stock spring/shock setup around corners? I go on spirited drives through the canyons about twice a week so I would like to get something that's performance oriented. Any input on this is appreciated.

Thanks!
They are a mild drop coilover, not ones that should be slammed. For a mild 1 to 2" drop they should work well. These are a softer setup than most coilovers so when combined w/ sways you should get a nice controlled ride that's not overly harsh. Without upgraded sways you may find the ride a bit soft for high speed cornering.
Old 02-25-2016, 07:40 PM
SiKHG37
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I just bought some for $575 shipped. I'll probably install them soon.
Old 02-25-2016, 09:18 PM
PearlPereZ

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I bought the tein basis on my g37 recently. Its a little stiffer than the normal suspension but, just like anything you get used to it after a while. Here's a picture installed. I think the rear is the max drop already, the fronts can go lower. My wheels specs are 245/35/19 fronts and 265/30 rears.

The following 2 users liked this post by PearlPereZ:
-SnowMan- (02-25-2016), blnewt (02-25-2016)
Old 02-25-2016, 09:48 PM
-SnowMan-

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by PearlPereZ
I bought the tein basis on my g37 recently. Its a little stiffer than the normal suspension but, just like anything you get used to it after a while. Here's a picture installed. I think the rear is the max drop already, the fronts can go lower. My wheels specs are 245/35/19 fronts and 265/30 rears.
Whats your alignment look like? Are you running camber kits?
Old 02-25-2016, 10:48 PM
PearlPereZ

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by -SnowMan-
Whats your alignment look like? Are you running camber kits?
My fronts needed to be aligned, the rears we're perfect. And no I'm not running any camber kits. I bought these wheels used and it had camber wear from the previous owner. I switched the tires outside in. Looks like camber to me.

Old 02-25-2016, 11:13 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
I put Tein Basis on my sedan last year and they should be more than enough for any street/canyon driving. I will be using them for track days as well.
Old 02-26-2016, 12:32 AM
-SnowMan-

Originally Posted by PearlPereZ
My fronts needed to be aligned, the rears we're perfect. And no I'm not running any camber kits. I bought these wheels used and it had camber wear from the previous owner. I switched the tires outside in. Looks like camber to me.
Do you actually have an alignment sheet showing the rears are in spec? The profile photo just makes them look super cambered.

I just don't want to put these on and then blow throw 600 dollars for rear tires 2 months after I put them on.
Old 02-26-2016, 08:21 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Do you actually have an alignment sheet showing the rears are in spec? The profile photo just makes them look super cambered.

I just don't want to put these on and then blow throw 600 dollars for rear tires 2 months after I put them on.
If you want to keep your tires wearing well and not spend much get the rear 4 bolt camber/toe kits, it's about $50 for 2 kits if you DIY the install. Your fronts should wear ok (at least better than the rears) without the arms.

I wouldn't consider coilovers without at least that rear setup.
The following users liked this post:
TheNextoGo (08-18-2016)
Old 02-26-2016, 01:30 PM
-SnowMan-

Originally Posted by blnewt
If you want to keep your tires wearing well and not spend much get the rear 4 bolt camber/toe kits, it's about $50 for 2 kits if you DIY the install. Your fronts should wear ok (at least better than the rears) without the arms.

I wouldn't consider coilovers without at least that rear setup.
Thats what I was looking for. My front passenger strut is leaking so I need to replace it.

I'm hoping to do Tokico Blues and Eibach springs all around since people seem to get away with a decent alignment without the camber bolts.

I may just do the bolts regardless. I'm trying to not spend an extra 600 on new A arms up front and camber arms in back if I don't have to.

I only drive the car less than 500 miles a month and only when the weather is nice since it's my second car so tire ware isn't a HUGE concern for me but its there.
Old 02-26-2016, 09:39 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Thats what I was looking for. My front passenger strut is leaking so I need to replace it.

I'm hoping to do Tokico Blues and Eibach springs all around since people seem to get away with a decent alignment without the camber bolts.

I may just do the bolts regardless. I'm trying to not spend an extra 600 on new A arms up front and camber arms in back if I don't have to.

I only drive the car less than 500 miles a month and only when the weather is nice since it's my second car so tire ware isn't a HUGE concern for me but its there.
Unless you're slammed you'll get your rear in spec w/ the 4 bolt setup, and having full toe adjustment in front is a big plus. It's not a big expense if you DIY and the money you'll save in tires and the piece of mind knowing your alignment is proper is a good plan.