Swift spring or Eibach?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 10:33 PM
drkay
Premier Member

Received 44 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by roadrash666
quality lowering springs will not cause your struts to wear out faster. The strut will run within its design parameters as long as the suspension doesn't bottom out. The strut starts a little deeper in it's stroke, but doesn't exceed its normal travel as long as the suspension isn't allowed to. If the suspension bottoms out regularly, the strut will blow through it's travel thus shortening it's life. A progressively wound spring is designed to prevent bottoming of the suspension.my coupe on eibachs has never bottomed out once since installing the springs, and i drive my car pretty hard.
+++++++1^^^^^^
Old 02-05-2016, 03:24 AM
timc00k

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Here is a stupid question; Assuming I ordered the Eibach springs. Do I need to give the shop any measurement on how much to lower? Or They will take all 4 wheels off and install the springs and that's it. Nothing else required?

Also, in terms of hitting small potholes, do you feel a difference in either swift/eibach springs? Typically with OEM springs, you don't feel much since the car sits higher. There is always a small bump. Just wondering what impact it takes on the car since its much lowered.
Old 02-05-2016, 03:50 AM
Mr_Mer

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
Pretty much it is just an install, spring indexing (so the car is level left to right) and done. Hardest part is the front spring install where a spring compressor is required to safely remove the strut from the spring.
Old 02-05-2016, 09:11 AM
m3clubracer
Registered Member

Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts
A spring compressor is nearly impossible to compress on a front Eibach enough to get installed. A wall mounted compressor is way worth the time, effort, AND money. Pay to have it removed and replaced. The top nut is a PITA! The rear I could do blind folded with a coke in one hand.

You can tell that the struts are not matched very well to the spring rates but I got over that in 2-3 weeks. It is much stiffer. If I had to do it again I might get a cheaper coil over set.
Old 02-05-2016, 09:17 AM
JUMBO PALACE
Registered Member

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts
The Eibachs will most likely be noticeably stiffer than stock since the drop is pretty significant. That being said, your teeth aren't going to rattle like they would with a super low coilover setup but it's something to consider. I think drkay would agree with me that the Swifts are very comfortable even on stock struts. Hardly noticed a difference from stock unless the bump is huge (which you are typically avoiding anyway).
The following users liked this post:
Al Czervik (02-05-2016)
Old 02-05-2016, 11:36 AM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Received 560 Likes on 390 Posts
Originally Posted by JUMBO PALACE
The Eibachs will most likely be noticeably stiffer than stock since the drop is pretty significant. That being said, your teeth aren't going to rattle like they would with a super low coilover setup but it's something to consider. I think drkay would agree with me that the Swifts are very comfortable even on stock struts. Hardly noticed a difference from stock unless the bump is huge (which you are typically avoiding anyway).
The ride on Eibach springs (even with 20" wheels) is not much, if at all, different from stock in my opinion. My friend has a G37 sedan with stock suspension and stock 18" wheels and I have a hard time noticing a difference. I went into the install expecting to be disappointed in the loss of comfort, but was pleasantly surprised. I do agree on very large bumps, or something like railroad tracks, it's probably a little more jarring than stock suspension.

I daily drive my car 60+ miles everyday with a good mix of highway and suburban driving. I have been lowered for about 2 years and probably over 25k miles. I have zero abnormal or uneven tire wear. My suspension is not blown or failing and I have no reason to expect it to in the near future since the springs were designed to operate within the capabilities of the OEM struts/shocks.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:39 AM
toured

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
What vender should I order Swift Spring s from?
Old 02-05-2016, 11:50 AM
JUMBO PALACE
Registered Member

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryne
The ride on Eibach springs (even with 20" wheels) is not much, if at all, different from stock in my opinion. My friend has a G37 sedan with stock suspension and stock 18" wheels and I have a hard time noticing a difference. I went into the install expecting to be disappointed in the loss of comfort, but was pleasantly surprised. I do agree on very large bumps, or something like railroad tracks, it's probably a little more jarring than stock suspension.

I daily drive my car 60+ miles everyday with a good mix of highway and suburban driving. I have been lowered for about 2 years and probably over 25k miles. I have zero abnormal or uneven tire wear. My suspension is not blown or failing and I have no reason to expect it to in the near future since the springs were designed to operate within the capabilities of the OEM struts/shocks.
It would be interesting to drive a car with Swifts and one with Eibach back to back to see if there's any difference in ride quality. Regardless, This just speaks to what has been said throughout this thread- both are good choices. Guess it really comes down to what drop you want.
Old 02-05-2016, 12:36 PM
Mr_Mer

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
Old 02-05-2016, 12:50 PM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Originally Posted by JUMBO PALACE
It would be interesting to drive a car with Swifts and one with Eibach back to back to see if there's any difference in ride quality. Regardless, This just speaks to what has been said throughout this thread- both are good choices. Guess it really comes down to what drop you want.
I agree. I think it comes down to how the platform responds to being lowered. My previous car was lowered on Eibach springs and it was not enjoyable.
Old 02-05-2016, 02:31 PM
sLADe781
Registered Member

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryne
As promised, a better look at the wheel gaps. Same height as the previous picture, except closer and a little brighter.

Wow perfect drop Ryne!! I'm sure I missed it somewhere but what do you drive again? RWD?

I went with Tein Basis coilovers because I wanted the corners to be uniform all the way around but if I could have achieved this with Eibach springs, I probably would've gone that route instead.
Old 02-05-2016, 02:46 PM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Originally Posted by sLADe781
Wow perfect drop Ryne!! I'm sure I missed it somewhere but what do you drive again? RWD?

I went with Tein Basis coilovers because I wanted the corners to be uniform all the way around but if I could have achieved this with Eibach springs, I probably would've gone that route instead.
Thanks, I have an AWD G37.
Old 02-06-2016, 12:09 AM
HS125
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you guys think the progressive springs are easier on the shocks than the linear springs?
Old 02-06-2016, 12:55 AM
User 122320
Registered Member

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts
If you're going do it. Do it right. Replace the shocks with one that are made for shorter springs and throw in a front / rear camber kit while you're at it.

Even though the prokits can probably work with the stocks, I would just change it just because it would save on labor in the future.
Old 02-06-2016, 01:34 AM
HS125
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by clutchfan
If you're going do it. Do it right. Replace the shocks with one that are made for shorter springs and throw in a front / rear camber kit while you're at it.

Even though the prokits can probably work with the stocks, I would just change it just because it would save on labor in the future.
I would love to...never seen any.

Quick Reply: Swift spring or Eibach?