Thinking about the suspension

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 11:32 PM
jomak123

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Question Thinking about the suspension

So I have no idea about suspensions, lowering, dropping have you. I am pretty handy. I have customized my headlights, dropped in a thicker rear sway bar, custom brake work, rims, etc. I know nothing about suspension lowering. I like the look, but I don't want to compromise my handling. Handling is key to me, so I was looking for options: air lift, springs, what do I need and what should I know?

I don't want it too low (above the tire), but I am not against a suspension that lowers to the tires when off or something. Help would be appreciated!
Old 01-01-2016, 03:02 AM
Baby Jumpman
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
Air is the most expensive obviously. Ease of height adjustment, added security lol. Coilovers would be your best bet. Height and dampening adjustment depending on the model you get.
Old 01-01-2016, 01:07 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
It comes down to budget, typically the milder the drop the closer you'll get to the OEM ride. Also dropping more than 1.5" would require a full F&R camber kit to keep your tread wear reasonable. That will add about $500 in parts.

Tein Basis coilovers are a mild drop coilover that will give you a decent ride, not overly firm from all the reviews coming in. These sell for about $600 but do not have damping adjustment, if you adjust them for a milder drop you can get by w/ just a rear camber bolt, rear toe bolt kit. You need two of these kits (4 bolts total) and this sells for about $50 total. You will need to elongate the slots for the camber & toe bolts w/ a dremel tool.
http://www.spcalignment.com/componen...AFrom&to=USATo
Install info
http://www.spcalignment.com/instruct...65-INS_WEB.pdf
And vendor
SPC Performance Camber/Toe Cam Bolt Kit; Pair, Reqr's 1 per Wheel INFINITI FX35
If you have a bigger budget KW suspension has their V1 set (no adjustable dampers) and V3 w/ adjustable dampers, these are heavy duty sets good for track duty, a bit overkill for a daily driver and they will drop low in the back on sedans at their highest setting, but they are one of the better setups.

IMO you can't get more bang for the buck than the Teins they get you just the height you want and dampers are set up for the daily driver, but there are plenty of coilover choices from the taiwan sourced BC/Megan/D2. etc that have a lot of features but can have quality issues.

For a bare bones budget you can always try lowering springs on your stock dampers, Eibach is one of the most popular and drops in the 1.5" range and sell for $280-300.

If you're good at wrenching you'll have no problem w/ the suspension DIY.
The following users liked this post:
doublea88 (01-01-2016)
Old 01-01-2016, 02:18 PM
doublea88
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 50 Posts
Very nice summarized post on suspension! Thank you Brad.
The following users liked this post:
blnewt (01-01-2016)
Old 01-02-2016, 02:09 PM
jomak123

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by blnewt
It comes down to budget, typically the milder the drop the closer you'll get to the OEM ride. Also dropping more than 1.5" would require a full F&R camber kit to keep your tread wear reasonable. That will add about $500 in parts.

Tein Basis coilovers are a mild drop coilover that will give you a decent ride, not overly firm from all the reviews coming in. These sell for about $600 but do not have damping adjustment, if you adjust them for a milder drop you can get by w/ just a rear camber bolt, rear toe bolt kit. You need two of these kits (4 bolts total) and this sells for about $50 total. You will need to elongate the slots for the camber & toe bolts w/ a dremel tool.
http://www.spcalignment.com/componen...AFrom&to=USATo
Install info
http://www.spcalignment.com/instruct...65-INS_WEB.pdf
And vendor
SPC Performance Camber/Toe Cam Bolt Kit; Pair, Reqr's 1 per Wheel INFINITI FX35
If you have a bigger budget KW suspension has their V1 set (no adjustable dampers) and V3 w/ adjustable dampers, these are heavy duty sets good for track duty, a bit overkill for a daily driver and they will drop low in the back on sedans at their highest setting, but they are one of the better setups.

IMO you can't get more bang for the buck than the Teins they get you just the height you want and dampers are set up for the daily driver, but there are plenty of coilover choices from the taiwan sourced BC/Megan/D2. etc that have a lot of features but can have quality issues.

For a bare bones budget you can always try lowering springs on your stock dampers, Eibach is one of the most popular and drops in the 1.5" range and sell for $280-300.

If you're good at wrenching you'll have no problem w/ the suspension DIY.
Thank you for the great write up, but I don't understand. the Tein coils I find online are $1,891 flex damper for 4...they have a cuople of options which I have no idea about these. I see the camber bolt pdf, but not sure what that has to do with the suspension? It looks like an undercariage bolt independant of the suspension.

The lowering springs I understand, sounds like it would work, but can you point me more info on learning about Tein?
Old 01-02-2016, 02:33 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by jomak123
Thank you for the great write up, but I don't understand. the Tein coils I find online are $1,891 flex damper for 4...they have a cuople of options which I have no idea about these. I see the camber bolt pdf, but not sure what that has to do with the suspension? It looks like an undercariage bolt independant of the suspension.

The lowering springs I understand, sounds like it would work, but can you point me more info on learning about Tein?
Looks like they have a holiday sale here
TEIN Street Basis Coilover Kit; OEM Front Upper Mount; OEM Rear Upper Mount; Not EDFC Compatable INFINITI G35
Short on time now but can help w/ your other ??s later