G37x Sport caliper covers on NON-SPORT G37x

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 03:14 AM
Grippinq

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G37x Sport caliper covers on NON-SPORT G37x

Is it possible to get the sport callipers put onto my non sport G37x? I hate the look of the non-sport ones, look like utter crap but it was the only affordable G with low KM's.

I read somewhere that it's possible to just buy the callipers online then mount them in place of the regular ones.. is that possible? I already have aftermarket 19's that will clear the new callipers in terms of size, now it's just figuring out whether they will fit.
Old 11-17-2015, 03:42 AM
Baby Jumpman
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
Yes they will fit. Plenty of threads on here showing what's needed and steps for the install.
Old 11-17-2015, 08:30 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Yes, but you'll also need new rotors and some associated hardware. Here's a thread that will list everything you need and the lowest pricing~
https://www.myg37.com/forums/brakes-...the-cheap.html

That thread title had me worried, I thought you were considering those tacky slip on caliper covers, was relieved when I read your post
The following users liked this post:
ShuuraRG (11-17-2015)
Old 11-17-2015, 10:24 AM
Grippinq

You sure you need rotors too? That was my question, I'm not interested in changing everything. My breaks actually aren't bad.. I just wish they weren't so ugly. So this is merely for the aesthetic side of the modification. I read somewhere you didn't need new rotors, just the calipers themself.
Old 11-17-2015, 10:24 AM
Grippinq

You don't need special sport rotors or any of that stuff? Just swap off the old calipers and put on the sport calipers and you're good to go?
Old 11-17-2015, 10:28 AM
botlfed98
Registered Member

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
def need rotors, pads, and lines....as well as the calipers
Old 11-17-2015, 11:37 AM
Baby Jumpman
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
Lines aren't a necessity. Just get the proper size banjo bolts if you stay with stock lines, and trim your dust shield.

But yes you'll need to get larger rotors.
Old 11-17-2015, 01:02 PM
qmantran
Registered Member

Received 181 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Grippinq
You don't need special sport rotors or any of that stuff? Just swap off the old calipers and put on the sport calipers and you're good to go?
Do you understand why the sport model brakes look better? Its not just for looks, they are bigger brake calipers that have 4 pistons in the front and 2 in the rear.

Your base model brakes only have 2 pistons in the front

Bigger calipers requires bigger rotors.

It's like brembo brakes, but for our infiniti it's made by Akebono.

So YES you will need new bigger rotors and pads to fit the larger akebono brake calipers.
Old 11-18-2015, 09:48 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
I am also glad to see you did not mean you were going to get the covers for your calipers. Those look awful and just trap heat and dust in the brakes. The sport brakes do look better, but they are larger because they provide substantially better braking- especially at speed and are able to dissipate heat much better. This is why you do not see any 3,700lb. race cars with tiny brakes. They would overheat and not be able to stop.
Old 11-18-2015, 09:57 AM
CRV_33
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Baby Jumpman
Lines aren't a necessity. Just get the proper size banjo bolts if you stay with stock lines, and trim your dust shield.

But yes you'll need to get larger rotors.
How many banjo bolts are needed to do the swap?
Old 11-18-2015, 10:01 AM
AUR11

Received 78 Likes on 61 Posts
You'll need pads, rotors, 4 banjo bolts, calipers and the associated hardware for the pads and you'll need to trim the dust shields at all 4 corners. I did the swap and it was straight forward and made a huge difference in looks and braking.
Old 11-18-2015, 10:05 AM
nelledge
n00b

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
I am also glad to see you did not mean you were going to get the covers for your calipers. Those look awful and just trap heat and dust in the brakes...
^^^This can't be overstated.

Originally Posted by 4DRZ
...they are larger because they provide substantially better braking- especially at speed and are able to dissipate heat much better. This is why you do not see any 3,700lb. race cars with tiny brakes. They would overheat and not be able to stop.
FWIW, the non-Akebono brakes are perfectly adequate to handle all but the most extreme real-life braking situations. The weakness is in severe, cyclic braking which should not be occurring in daily driving on public roads.

You track? Then it becomes another story. However, I periodically autox and never have fade issues with stock brakes paired with performance pads. 5 sub-minute laps separated by 30 car staging is plenty of time for the brakes to dissipate the required amount of heat to retain braking performance.

True road courses are a completely different animal. Install BBK for the roads courses. I can't emphasize that enough. You will experience fade even with performance brakes. I would venture to say that a vast majority of Gs with the multi-piston calipers (stock or aftermarket) rarely encounter extremes that justify them. In the end, it's solely about the looks for most owners.

Last edited by nelledge; 11-18-2015 at 11:22 AM.
Old 11-18-2015, 10:38 AM
MaQG37
Registered Member

Received 208 Likes on 166 Posts
Originally Posted by nelledge

True road courses are a completely different animal. Install BBK for the roads courses. I can't emphasize that enough. You will experience fade even with performance brakes. I would venture to say that a vast majority of Gs with the multi-piston calipers (stock or aftermarket) rarely encounter extremes that justify them. In the end, it's solely about the looks for most owners.
Looking fast is what is it's all about. Get with the program, yo.
Old 11-18-2015, 11:09 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
Originally Posted by Grippinq
I already have aftermarket 19's that will clear the new callipers in terms of size
You sure of that, are you? That's a safe assumption with 20" rims, but 19"... not so much.

OP, the practical thing to do is use a set of wheels that don't showcase the brakes. There are a lot of 15 spoke rims would fit that bill, and look pretty elegant in the process.

Originally Posted by nelledge
This can't be overstated.
Not for lack of trying, eh, nelledge?.
Old 11-18-2015, 02:15 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
You sure of that, are you? That's a safe assumption with 20" rims, but 19"... not so much.
My 20s won't clear Akebonos without a 10mm spacer
My Wilwoods clear w/ 3mm to spare though

Quick Reply: G37x Sport caliper covers on NON-SPORT G37x