G37S Brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 02:55 AM
sukhusukhu

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
G37S Brake pads

Hi everyone,

It's that time in the life of my G37S 2012 when I need to change the brake pads. I can hear squealing noises when I light press the brakes at low speeds. I want to do the brake job myself as I want to learn more about the car. I watched several YouTube videos and feel confident about changing the pads myself.

My use case is just daily driving, which means I don't need anything that's performance grade. Pads that are comparable to the OEM parts will work.

Here are some resources that I have seen on how to change pads:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...n-08-g37s.html

Here are the Rear Pads I found on Amazon:
Amazon.com: Hawk Performance HB370F.559 HPS Performance Ceramic Brake Pad: Automotive Amazon.com: Hawk Performance HB370F.559 HPS Performance Ceramic Brake Pad: Automotive

But, I am not sure which pads to order for the front. The front pads on Amazon have two sizes 320mm vs 330mm
320mm:
Amazon.com: Hawk Performance HB387F.547 HPS Performance Ceramic Brake Pad: Automotive Amazon.com: Hawk Performance HB387F.547 HPS Performance Ceramic Brake Pad: Automotive

330mm:
Amazon.com: Hawk Performance HB370F.559 HPS Performance Ceramic Brake Pad: Automotive Amazon.com: Hawk Performance HB370F.559 HPS Performance Ceramic Brake Pad: Automotive

I am not sure which ones would fit on my car? Is there a way to find out? The rotors are stock and never replaced. If anyone has entirely different suggestion on which pads to get, I am open to that as well. Please help me choose which pads to buy.

Thanks alot!
The following users liked this post:
afrayedknot (11-07-2018)
Old 10-13-2015, 08:11 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,942 Likes on 4,175 Posts
Welcome to the site!
The big Sport Akebono brakes have 355mm front 350mm rear rotors, check out RockAuto Parts Catalog for Centric Posi Quiet (similar to OEM w/ very little dust) these come w/ shims & hardware pkg too. The Hawk pads are a good option, not available at rockauto, be sure to get the ones for the 355/350 rotors.
I would also do a full brake fluid flush too, a quart will suffice, I've had good results from Valvoline Dot 3-4 Full Synthetic.
Old 10-13-2015, 10:38 AM
krazyfiend
Registered Member

Received 61 Likes on 41 Posts
I can't say enough good things about the current Hawk HPS 5.0 pads that I'm running. I was running StopTech street series pads beforehand (with stock sport rotors) and transitioned to the Hawk 5.0 (newer iteration from them that takes an approach of doing everything 'good' rather than doing one or two attributes well at the sacrifice of others) pads w/ Centric Premium rotors.

I've had HPS+ pads on prior cars and I'd go with the 5.0 pads from them any day of the week now (plus a few dollars less when I ordered from Amazon). They are built to fit our application with no need for shims (like stoptech pads).

Just for reference and knowing these exactly fit the Akebono setup.

Hawk Performance HB602B.545
Hawk Performance HB601B.626

Good luck! I think you will be elated at how easily the sport setup makes it for changing pads out and learning to do this sort of stuff on your own.
Old 10-15-2015, 02:38 AM
sukhusukhu

Originally Posted by blnewt
Welcome to the site!
The big Sport Akebono brakes have 355mm front 350mm rear rotors, check out RockAuto Parts Catalog for Centric Posi Quiet (similar to OEM w/ very little dust) these come w/ shims & hardware pkg too. The Hawk pads are a good option, not available at rockauto, be sure to get the ones for the 355/350 rotors.
I would also do a full brake fluid flush too, a quart will suffice, I've had good results from Valvoline Dot 3-4 Full Synthetic.
Thanks for the reply! How hard is it to do a brake fluid change? I cannot find any DIYs on the forum about this. Can you link me to any information that you have on it?
Old 10-15-2015, 03:58 AM
sukhusukhu

Originally Posted by sukhusukhu
Thanks for the reply! How hard is it to do a brake fluid change? I cannot find any DIYs on the forum about this. Can you link me to any information that you have on it?
Never mind, found this amazing thread!
https://www.myg37.com/forums/brakes-...oem-bbk-s.html

I feel a little nervous doing this. Looks like a intermediate difficulty task.
Old 10-15-2015, 09:45 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,942 Likes on 4,175 Posts
Originally Posted by sukhusukhu
Never mind, found this amazing thread!
https://www.myg37.com/forums/brakes-...oem-bbk-s.html

I feel a little nervous doing this. Looks like a intermediate difficulty task.
If you have a helper it's not hard to do, the main things are not letting the master cylinder get low in fluid during the bleed, doing the proper sequence (Passenger Rear, than Driver Front, than Driver Rear, and Passenger Front. Always bleeding inner nipple first, and moving onto the outer.) And make SURE to keep all brake fluid away from any painted surfaces, a couple towels around the master cylinder is a good idea along w/ a water spray bottle and a couple rags just in case you need a quick clean up.
Old 10-15-2015, 01:29 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
If you have a helper it's not hard to do, the main things are not letting the master cylinder get low in fluid during the bleed, doing the proper sequence (Passenger Rear, than Driver Front, than Driver Rear, and Passenger Front. Always bleeding inner nipple first, and moving onto the outer.) And make SURE to keep all brake fluid away from any painted surfaces, a couple towels around the master cylinder is a good idea along w/ a water spray bottle and a couple rags just in case you need a quick clean up.
When you bleed brakes don't you want to start with the furthest away and gradually get closer instead of going furthest to closest across and then again going furthest to closest across?

I also can recommend the Hawk performance ceramic for street use. Used those to replace the stock pads on my '14 Evo and they drastically reduced the dust without any noticeable change in performance on the street.
Old 10-15-2015, 01:35 PM
krazyfiend
Registered Member

Received 61 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
When you bleed brakes don't you want to start with the furthest away and gradually get closer instead of going furthest to closest across and then again going furthest to closest across?
That's the usual/standard ideology when bleeding, but for whatever reason... the way blnewt mentioned is how Infiniti outlines the process in the FSM.
Old 10-15-2015, 03:56 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by krazyfiend
That's the usual/standard ideology when bleeding, but for whatever reason... the way blnewt mentioned is how Infiniti outlines the process in the FSM.
Wierd. Well, I guess you learn something new every day.