Help Corroded brake fittings and top of caliper

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 01:54 PM
phanman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Corroded brake fittings and top of caliper

I am changing my pads and when I took off my wheel I noticed that the fitting on the firewall was pretty badly corroded. Also, my caliper had some surface corrosion and the seals on the pistons where dry. Do I need to do anything about the lines or calipers or is that normal? There is no leaking from the lines themselves. Everything else under there seems to just have the normal wear and corrosion.
Old 09-22-2015, 04:47 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by phanman
I am changing my pads and when I took off my wheel I noticed that the fitting on the firewall was pretty badly corroded. Also, my caliper had some surface corrosion and the seals on the pistons where dry. Do I need to do anything about the lines or calipers or is that normal? There is no leaking from the lines themselves. Everything else under there seems to just have the normal wear and corrosion.
Depends if they're brittle and cracking, if so I'd get a new seal kit. Check RockAuto Parts Catalog for caliper repair kits, very affordable. Also check your piston sides (where they slide in the rubber seals) for any heavy corrosion or pits.
Old 09-22-2015, 04:51 PM
phanman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
Depends if they're brittle and cracking, if so I'd get a new seal kit. Check RockAuto Parts Catalog for caliper repair kits, very affordable. Also check your piston sides (where they slide in the rubber seals) for any heavy corrosion or pits.
Pistons are so so... Not awful but could stand to be changed. I am just going to change the pads now and work on calipers one set at a time to change them out over the next few pay days for front and rear. I definitely think the lines could stand to be changed first.