Sedan guys with KW - what heights are you running?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 12:30 PM
Falker11
Premier Member

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
Sedan guys with KW - what heights are you running?

Hey guys.

Looking for some feedback from other sedan guys running KW coilovers.

Installed mine last weekend. I still need to make some ride height adjustments. I am currently at 26" in the front and 25.75" in the rear. I'm looking to try to run 26.5" front and rear. Front should not be an issue but I'm concerned about the rear. I'm already pretty close to the maximum distance to extend the spring contact collar in the rear.

Based on my prior research it seemed like while KW's do drop low in the rear that 26.5 wouldn't be an issue to get to but now I am noticing most of the folks were running on the coupe which may drop different from the sedan.

So Sedan guys running KW's let me know where you have your height set and any suggestions you have for getting it dialed in.

thanks
Old 09-08-2015, 07:02 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,942 Likes on 4,175 Posts
You'll probably have to get their spring extenders for the back, but that voids the warranty.
Old 09-12-2015, 05:09 PM
Falker11
Premier Member

blnewt - i think you're right and THMotorsports is looking to locate some 30mm spacers for me.

Today i lifted the rears to 26.125 which i think is the safest I can go on those rear spring perches - it results in about 3 threads coming past the bottom of the inner black perch - it still leaves probably about 80% of the threads from the purple and black making contact - I'll try to grab a pic later today if I'm able to get to my friends lift.

When i get my alignment Tuesday i'll get their thoughts on that rear perch setup. They are a reputable performance shop in the area so look forward to their opinion as well.

Once i get that spacer i'll be a lot more comfortable with the setup.

This also caused the front to lower about 1/8 an inch so going to try to adjust the front to 26.25 later as well.
Old 09-12-2015, 09:50 PM
Falker11
Premier Member

OK so got over to the lift today.

Fronts now sit at 26.25 with plenty of adjustment left in either direction.

Rears still sit at 26.125 after adjusting the fronts. I am ok with this setup for now and will get an alignment. I think the 30mm spacers are on backorder right now so may be some time before i can get those and install them.

Here are some pics of the rear install. In the first pic you'll see what i mean with the purple perch sitting about 3 threads too low on the black housing. Once i have the spacer I'll correct this even if I decide to stay at this height.

Name:  bb7652d3-dca6-41cc-b533-fdb9f7d2e574_zpsxc7bb2zm.jpg
Views: 6404
Size:  197.1 KB

Name:  31c55526-f1a9-4c59-8686-36e52deb5e44_zps6dsilb4k.jpg
Views: 6665
Size:  207.5 KB

Name:  3b761d79-15fe-4818-a86d-f178fc2e1071_zpsgxi1icca.jpg
Views: 6425
Size:  241.3 KB
Old 09-12-2015, 11:59 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

It's too bad they just don't ship them out w/ a spring that's 1/2 to 3/4" longer, or have that option available. Hopefully that spacer spring will get you back to where you want.
Old 09-13-2015, 08:54 AM
rks
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
I have the KW v3 and made a couple call to KW regarding the rear height. First time I asked about the spacer (I have them ready to install) and was told they would mess up the travel and void any warranty. I called again and was told 1. the spacer would not be a bad idea 2. The KW should NOT be marketed to the sedan! They are intended for the Z and G coupe but no shop will dissuade boat owners from buying them. I currently run slight camber to get my 275 to fit on a relatively conservative wheel (19" x 10" +35) but the wheels are tucked in. I think there is about 1" between the tire and fender.

I discussed having perch hanging off the shock similar to what you did but my suspension shop didn't like the idea, they didn't think the spring extenders would be too rough though.
The following 3 users liked this post by rks:
blnewt (09-13-2015), Falker11 (09-13-2015), Rochester (09-13-2015)
Old 09-13-2015, 10:39 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,646 Likes on 3,476 Posts
Originally Posted by rks
but no shop will dissuade boat owners from buying them.
Boat owners...

Originally Posted by Falker11
Here are some pics of the rear install. In the first pic you'll see what i mean with the purple perch sitting about 3 threads too low on the black housing.

Yikes!

I know you want your rears as high as they can go with those particular CO's, but are you genuinely comfortable sacrificing 3 threads of contact on that ring? That seems like a mechanical engineering no-no. That you had to do that in order to come *up* to 26 1/8" suggests to me these CO's might not be the right fit for you.

Your spring design is so much different my my Teins. Yours are narrow at the top, with wider rungs. And look how much thread exposure you have on your adjustment compared to this pic, when yours is actually sitting 5/8" lower. That's amazing.

Apples and Oranges, I guess.

Last edited by Rochester; 09-13-2015 at 10:55 AM.
Old 09-13-2015, 10:46 AM
Rochester
Administrator

What is this spacer you're talking about? I'm guessing it's the fitted, hard rubber/plastic top-seat designed for these CO's, just thicker than the standard one. Yes?
Old 09-13-2015, 11:33 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Don't know if this member is still active, but check this reply in this KW thread, seems like KW might step up and get you those spacers, otherwise they're pretty expensive IMO, about $45 each.
https://www.myg37.com/forums/brakes-...ml#post3543976
Old 09-13-2015, 11:44 AM
nelledge
n00b

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
...Yikes!

I know you want your rears as high as they can go with those particular CO's, but are you genuinely comfortable sacrificing 3 threads of contact on that ring? That seems like a mechanical engineering no-no. That you had to do that in order to come *up* to 26 1/8" suggests to me these CO's might not be the right fit for you...
^^^ This. So much this. If your shop doesn't aggressively dissuade you from keeping this configuration, you should remove "reputable" from their description.
The following users liked this post:
Falker11 (09-14-2015)
Old 09-13-2015, 07:20 PM
taek

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i have KW V1s and i love how they ride except the the height setting in the rear is still too low. i just measured mine and it is reading ~ 25.6 inch from ground to the fender and mine is maxed out too.

I am running 245/45/18 in the back (or 275/35/19 summer setup) and tires are kind of tucked in.. I really want to raise it up by quarter of an inch or something.. some people are saying i can get spring spacers from KW but when i went to the website it says it doesn't fit G37..

and like Rochester said, i am not sure if i would be comfortable sacrificing 3 threads on the contact rings..

I called KW customer support and this guy was saying KW V1/V3 are not designed for Sedans and it s not going to work for Sedan because the rear is much heavier because of 2 more doors LOL(which is total BS because i know the rear weight difference is less than 10 lbs between coupe and sedan.

Anyways, i am satisfied with the ride quality and craftsmanship of the product but not the customer service in US.
Falker11 (09-14-2015)
Old 09-13-2015, 08:40 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

This thread on the Audi forum may be of use to guys needing to go higher, might get KW to foot the bill
ST KW Rear Spring Spacer now available
Falker11 (09-14-2015)
Old 09-14-2015, 11:36 AM
Falker11
Premier Member

Originally Posted by rks

I discussed having perch hanging off the shock similar to what you did but my suspension shop didn't like the idea, they didn't think the spring extenders would be too rough though.
I know you want your rears as high as they can go with those particular CO's, but are you genuinely comfortable sacrificing 3 threads of contact on that ring? That seems like a mechanical engineering no-no. That you had to do that in order to come *up* to 26 1/8" suggests to me these CO's might not be the right fit for you.
Originally Posted by nelledge
^^^ This. So much this. If your shop doesn't aggressively dissuade you from keeping this configuration, you should remove "reputable" from their description.
Thanks for all the responses guys. Actually after sleeping on it Saturday night I decided to change the rear set up again to be flush with the bottom of the black housing - so no threads hanging off. While i think the 3 threads hanging off was 'probably' ok - decided it wasn't worth finding out the hard way that it's not.

What is this spacer you're talking about? I'm guessing it's the fitted, hard rubber/plastic top-seat designed for these CO's, just thicker than the standard one. Yes?
See this image - essentially it sits between the current purple perch and the yellow spring - will allow me to screw the perch up more to the middle of the black threads and still be at a higher ride height.

Originally Posted by blnewt
Don't know if this member is still active, but check this reply in this KW thread, seems like KW might step up and get you those spacers, otherwise they're pretty expensive IMO, about $45 each.
https://www.myg37.com/forums/brakes-...ml#post3543976
Originally Posted by taek
i have KW V1s and i love how they ride except the the height setting in the rear is still too low. i just measured mine and it is reading ~ 25.6 inch from ground to the fender and mine is maxed out too.

I am running 245/45/18 in the back (or 275/35/19 summer setup) and tires are kind of tucked in.. I really want to raise it up by quarter of an inch or something.. some people are saying i can get spring spacers from KW but when i went to the website it says it doesn't fit G37..

and like Rochester said, i am not sure if i would be comfortable sacrificing 3 threads on the contact rings..

I called KW customer support and this guy was saying KW V1/V3 are not designed for Sedans and it s not going to work for Sedan because the rear is much heavier because of 2 more doors LOL(which is total BS because i know the rear weight difference is less than 10 lbs between coupe and sedan.

Anyways, i am satisfied with the ride quality and craftsmanship of the product but not the customer service in US.
Originally Posted by blnewt
This thread on the Audi forum may be of use to guys needing to go higher, might get KW to foot the bill
ST KW Rear Spring Spacer now available
Thanks guys - I'm going to try my luck with KW but since they do not officially support the sedan with these coilovers i think it's doubtful I can get them for free. Even if I can't get them comp'd I'll still shell out the 80 bucks for them. I really want to try to make this work.
1 - I love the ride quality with these on so far and
2 - don't really want to lose 30-40% to sell these and pick up a different coil. It's worth the 80 dollars to give it a shot.

If it doesn't end up working out I'll probably end up with the teins.

PSA to all you sedan guys potentially considering KW - know the limitations and that they are not officially supported by KW on our platform. Even though everyone says the fit the sedan (which is true, install was a breeze) you may not get the drop you want. (or maybe you will if you want to be slammed )
Old 09-14-2015, 11:50 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Falker11
It's worth the 80 dollars to give it a shot.
If you're paying a mechanic for repeated work, maybe not. But if you're DIY on this project, then absolutely it's worth a shot.

G'luck.
Old 09-14-2015, 11:56 AM
Falker11
Premier Member

If you're paying a mechanic for repeated work, maybe not. But if you're DIY on this project, then absolutely it's worth a shot.

G'luck.
yeah - DIY.

It will take longer to drive to my buddy's place and lift the car than it will to install lol.

Quick Reply: Sedan guys with KW - what heights are you running?