Help KW V3 Coilovers - Clunking sound

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 10:50 PM
mezzo
Green Eyes!

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
KW V3 Coilovers - Clunking sound

So i just had a used set of KW v3's put on my G. First night i had on them on i had no issues. Today the second day of daily driving i started experiencing a clunking sound. I only hear it at slow speeds and can feel it as well. Anyways ive done plenty of research already and given my mechanic plenty to look through as far as possible culprits to the issue. Just was wondering if anyone with here with KW's has experienced this same issue as me and what their resolve was.

If you google search KW coilovers clunking you will see plenty of things on the issue so im confident we'll be able to find what the deal is.

Going back to my mechanic in the coming days to get it checked out and hopefully resolved.
Old 07-10-2015, 11:11 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by mezzo
So i just had a used set of KW v3's put on my G. First night i had on them on i had no issues. Today the second day of daily driving i started experiencing a clunking sound. I only hear it at slow speeds and can feel it as well. Anyways ive done plenty of research already and given my mechanic plenty to look through as far as possible culprits to the issue. Just was wondering if anyone with here with KW's has experienced this same issue as me and what their resolve was.

If you google search KW coilovers clunking you will see plenty of things on the issue so im confident we'll be able to find what the deal is.

Going back to my mechanic in the coming days to get it checked out and hopefully resolved.
Don't have the KWs but most clunking related issues are due to improper spring preload, and usually it's the rear setup. Since they were used it's also possible that one or more of the shocks is in need of a rebuild.
Old 07-10-2015, 11:37 PM
mezzo
Green Eyes!

My mechanic will be able to tell if the shocks are in a need of a rebuild by simply looking at them, or is there some sort of test he can do to verify they need to be rebuilt? ill also ask him about the spring preload.

Thanks blnewt!
Old 07-11-2015, 12:13 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by mezzo
My mechanic will be able to tell if the shocks are in a need of a rebuild by simply looking at them, or is there some sort of test he can do to verify they need to be rebuilt? ill also ask him about the spring preload.

Thanks blnewt!
Here's a couple instruction pages
Page 3 in English
http://www.kw-suspensions.com/extras...ea68577085.pdf
English is the bottom half of each page in this one
http://www.kw-suspensions.com/extras...ah68685007.pdf
More than likely your shocks will be OK, the KWs have a long life, so unless they were really driven hard, improperly installed, or have more than 75k miles they should still be OK.

BTW, the KWs drop range IIRC is up to 2", so if you drop more than that expect a shortened lifespan.
Old 07-11-2015, 01:01 PM
mezzo
Green Eyes!

So after washing my ride today around the corner and experiencing the clunking again.

I know now its defintely coming from the front and possibly just the front left side. although i hesitate to say its not on the right front as well though. Think the back is money.

It seems like when ever car hits an uneven surface at slow speeds i get the clunk.

Going to see my mechanic at 9am tomorrow morning.
Old 07-12-2015, 01:44 PM
mezzo
Green Eyes!

Well think we got it dialed in. I noticed though this morning i didn't hear the clunking anymore! So i get to my mechanic. On his day off by the way.. and we ride around. Damn clunking noise isn't happening of course. So eventually we just jacked up the left side so he could just have a look. While jacking it up we noticed the clunk sound occurred. Rode around and heard the clunk again from the same side. He tightened up everything in the front on both sides at this point. Drove it around a bit. Haven't heard the clunk since.

Had a 40 minute ride home so feel fairly confident its resolved.

I'm hesitate to say its good because it constantly happened yesterday but so far so good.
Old 07-12-2015, 03:09 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

So hopefully it was just something not fully snugged down, nice to enjoy a clunk-free ride
Keep us posted.
Old 07-12-2015, 04:06 PM
mezzo
Green Eyes!

Will do. yes after putting that much money into it. nice for it not to clunk lol....

Picture of the car from today. I did some measuring on the drop. The rear is half a mm higher than the front. so id say its not worth mentioning eh? lol

Old 07-12-2015, 05:58 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Looks great, I'd leave it as-is. Did you get it aligned yet?
Old 07-12-2015, 09:23 PM
mezzo
Green Eyes!

Thanks! oh yeah it was aligned right after. My mechanic i been working with as of late has been an infiniti tech at a dealership bout an hour from me for the past 10 years. Really nice guy and honest dude. They have a friends and family program where after hours he can do work on the side at the dealership. Met him through a friend at work. Perfect connection to get things done for cheaper! Hell be doing most of my work from now on if not all. So i had him throw these on and aligned it in the next bay over.

Update on the clunking. It seems the random clunky occurrences while turning is now gone for the most part but im still getting the clunky sound/issue when hitting bumps or dips at moderate speeds. And only from the front end. So i think something is still jacked on the front end on both sides. I'm not bottoming out that's for sure.. Maybe my SPC control arms are hitting the top ??? I have no idea at this point. But im going to let it ride for now until i see my mechanic when i do my cats, and upper/lower intakes with him. Investigate further then. Unless it gets worse....Something is still definitely not right though.

If anything ill task him to take off the fronts all together and put them back on if we cant figure anything else out.

Last edited by mezzo; 07-12-2015 at 09:28 PM.
Old 07-12-2015, 10:01 PM
AroundTheG37
Registered Member

Received 223 Likes on 161 Posts
You almost have the exact same look as me with the wheels (except mine have no lip) and drop. Also, it doesn't look like your rear is sitting higher in that pic but i believe that's because of the difference in wheel gap. Looking good.
Old 07-29-2015, 08:09 PM
mezzo
Green Eyes!

turns out the clunking I kept hearing was probably my TPS valve stems on the inner wheel rubbing up against something. Haven't had the clunking since they were banded to the wheels in the rear.