Ride Height Does Not Change After Adjusting Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 08:20 PM
Rogue_G

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Ride Height Does Not Change After Adjusting Coilovers

What's up guys, I am in quite a tough spot and need some help. I finally got around to getting the spacers I needed for my rear wheels. Originally, I didn't have any spacers and so my coilovers were maxed out with the wheels being tucked in. I decided to take on the job of putting the spacers on and adjusting the rear ride height prior to going to work. Sadly this didn't go as planned, I had to call into work.....should've waited for my day off. Anywho, I adjusted the heights evenly and everything looked beautiful. As soon as I start moving, the left side seems like it drops completely and starts rubbing extremely hard while the right side stays perfect. Any ideas to what the problem could be? I am at a lost, I am off tomorrow so hopefully I find a solution. Thanks guys!
Old 01-13-2015, 09:02 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by Rogue_G
What's up guys, I am in quite a tough spot and need some help. I finally got around to getting the spacers I needed for my rear wheels. Originally, I didn't have any spacers and so my coilovers were maxed out with the wheels being tucked in. I decided to take on the job of putting the spacers on and adjusting the rear ride height prior to going to work. Sadly this didn't go as planned, I had to call into work.....should've waited for my day off. Anywho, I adjusted the heights evenly and everything looked beautiful. As soon as I start moving, the left side seems like it drops completely and starts rubbing extremely hard while the right side stays perfect. Any ideas to what the problem could be? I am at a lost, I am off tomorrow so hopefully I find a solution. Thanks guys!
What brand coilovers? Are they OEM type (separate spring/separate shock) or true coilover setup?
Hard to say w/ just that description. Did you adjust the preload on the shock tube the same amount as you raised the rear coil springs (if it's the OEM type)? Are all your threaded collars tightened securely? Are both springs securely seated in the spring bucket and upper threaded collar seat (oem type)? If you could post some pics that would be of great help.
Old 01-13-2015, 11:20 PM
Rogue_G

Originally Posted by blnewt
What brand coilovers? Are they OEM type (separate spring/separate shock) or true coilover setup?
Hard to say w/ just that description. Did you adjust the preload on the shock tube the same amount as you raised the rear coil springs (if it's the OEM type)? Are all your threaded collars tightened securely? Are both springs securely seated in the spring bucket and upper threaded collar seat (oem type)? If you could post some pics that would be of great help.
Hey Brad! The coilovers are Tanabe Sustec Pro Coilovers (http://nissanraceshop.com/product/ta...FcbtMgodmXYAPQ). They are "OEM-Type" coilovers. There is a separate shock and a seperate spring. I was unaware that I adjust until other than the collar seats above the springs. It's fairly dark currently but I will attempt to take some pictures. Thanks so much for the help. I believe everything is seated properly from when I installed in a while back.

Last edited by Rogue_G; 01-13-2015 at 11:32 PM.
Old 01-13-2015, 11:52 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Hey Brad! The coilovers are Tanabe Sustec Pro Coilovers (Tanabe Sustec Pro SOC Coilovers Infiniti G35/G37 | Nissan Race Shop). They are "OEM-Type" coilovers. There is a separate shock and a seperate spring. I was unaware that I adjust until other than the collar seats above the springs. It's fairly dark currently but I will attempt to take some pictures. Thanks so much for the help. I believe everything is seated properly from when I installed in a while back.
Yep, if you adjust the spring collar "up" (to make the car sit higher) you also have to lengthen the shock the same amount by loosening the lock nuts on the shock sleeve then turning the sleeve to adjust the shock the same amount you adjusted the spring perch. This will retain the proper "preload" on the shock. If you just raise the height w/ the spring, the shock travel will now be shortened by how much higher you adjusted the spring height. The proper preload is about a 1/4" give or take. So when your rear end is just hanging free w/ car on jackstands and the suspension is fully unloaded you apply a 1/4" of compression (with a floor jack) to the spring bucket, then adjust your shock height to be fully extended w/ the spring compressed a 1/4", this preloads your springs so at no point will your springs ever be unloaded when the suspension is at full travel.
It's a bit of trial & error getting the height set the first time around, you want to estimate where to set the spring height collar, then set preload on both sides, drop car back down off the jackstands, and if you want to go say 3/4" lower you then adjust both the spring and the shock 3/4" at the same time so you won't lose the preload or add more preload.
Hope that makes sense.
If not let me know.

Last edited by blnewt; 01-14-2015 at 12:04 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by blnewt:
juan goose (04-11-2015), Rogue_G (01-16-2015)
Old 01-14-2015, 12:48 AM
Rogue_G

Yep, if you adjust the spring collar "up" (to make the car sit higher) you also have to lengthen the shock the same amount by loosening the lock nuts on the shock sleeve then turning the sleeve to adjust the shock the same amount you adjusted the spring perch. This will retain the proper "preload" on the shock. If you just raise the height w/ the spring, the shock travel will now be shortened by how much higher you adjusted the spring height. The proper preload is about a 1/4" give or take. So when your rear end is just hanging free w/ car on jackstands and the suspension is fully unloaded you apply a 1/4" of compression (with a floor jack) to the spring bucket, then adjust your shock height to be fully extended w/ the spring compressed a 1/4", this preloads your springs so at no point will your springs ever be unloaded when the suspension is at full travel.
It's a bit of trial & error getting the height set the first time around, you want to estimate where to set the spring height collar, then set preload on both sides, drop car back down off the jackstands, and if you want to go say 3/4" lower you then adjust both the spring and the shock 3/4" at the same time so you won't lose the preload or add more preload.
Hope that makes sense.
If not let me know.
A lot of that makes sense Brad. So something such as this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWgQ-BPd6ck)?

Last edited by Rogue_G; 01-14-2015 at 01:24 AM.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:26 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

A lot of that makes sense Brad. So something such as this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWgQ-BPd6ck)?
Yes sir, that pretty much sums it up
Hope it all works out smooth for you now, good luck.
The following users liked this post:
Rogue_G (01-16-2015)
Old 01-14-2015, 09:07 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Sorry to waste all your guidance Brad, but the Tanabe don't work like that. There's no prelaod or separate adjustment for the spring compression and the shock/strut casing length. You simply adjust the collars up or down to compress or lengthen the spring to change ride height. Then tighten the locking collar to prevent it's movement. That's all.

OP I have noticed that even though the parts may be set identically on each side, the ride height may not be even. If that's the case, adjust up or down on one side to achieve the desired height. They parts themselves may not be set to the same height on each side to get the car ride height even. I don't know why, but I've noticed it with The Tanabe too.
Rogue_G (01-16-2015)
Old 01-14-2015, 11:09 AM
Rogue_G

Yes sir, that pretty much sums it up
Hope it all works out smooth for you now, good luck.
Thanks Brad, I am heading to the garage right now!
Old 01-14-2015, 11:13 AM
Rogue_G

Originally Posted by Black Betty
Sorry to waste all your guidance Brad, but the Tanabe don't work like that. There's no prelaod or separate adjustment for the spring compression and the shock/strut casing length. You simply adjust the collars up or down to compress or lengthen the spring to change ride height. Then tighten the locking collar to prevent it's movement. That's all.

OP I have noticed that even though the parts may be set identically on each side, the ride height may not be even. If that's the case, adjust up or down on one side to achieve the desired height. They parts themselves may not be set to the same height on each side to get the car ride height even. I don't know why, but I've noticed it with The Tanabe too.
Hello Black Betty, okay so I am not crazy when I thought that the tanabe are different :O So I did that yesterday, I tried adjusting my left side a LOT more than my right side and the ride height on the left barely moved. I am talking about 2-3 inches difference on the left than on the right. That is where I am lost. The odd this is, the ride height doesn't seem to want to stay put. I'll adjust the left side, after lowering the car on off the jacks, the ride height looks to be where I need it. Once I start moving the car, the left side completely drops....it won't stay where I adjusted it. I assumed I was adjusting it incorrectly :/
Old 01-14-2015, 11:32 AM
Rogue_G

Called Tanabe USA to confirm if there needs to be any preload adjustment or anything of that sort. The gentleman I spoke to stated that there is no preload adjustment needed as far as the separate shock and spring is concerned. He stated that all that needed to be adjusted was the collar lock in order to adjust height, in which case I did. I am going to try adjusting once again. Hopefully I solve this today :/
Old 01-14-2015, 11:40 AM
ttv36
Race, repair, repeat.

Received 432 Likes on 289 Posts
^ If all you are supposed to do is adjust the spring collar and the side still drops low - perhaps your shock is no longer good?
Old 01-14-2015, 11:53 AM
Rogue_G

Originally Posted by tonyHTX
^ If all you are supposed to do is adjust the spring collar and the side still drops low - perhaps your shock is no longer good?
I'm really hoping that is not the case, but you a right, that is definitely a possibility :/
Old 01-14-2015, 02:41 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Thanks for clarifying the difference BB, boy was that a big waste of time
G/L OP hope you get it solved.
Old 01-14-2015, 02:52 PM
Rogue_G

Alright guys so I finally think I solved it. I took the whole rear shock and springs off, did a good cleaning then put them back on. After putting them back on, I adjusted the left rear side A LOT (almost maxed out). It seems to be sitting proper now. I did a roll around the neighbor hood and seems to have stayed at the adjusted height. I am not sure to what solved it but the left side of our g37's must be ridiculously heavy compared to our right side. Thank you guys so much for your time and advice, I really appreciate it. This community is great!

Jay
Old 01-14-2015, 03:04 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
You are eager to help and usually right in your advice so no biggie. Most coilovers for our cars do adjust that way. Tanabe is a much cheaper design entry level coilover so they don't. Probably the only reason I knew that is because I have them so don't beat yourself up. I'm still gonna throw a thanks on your post because you tried to help.

Alright guys so I finally think I solved it. I took the whole rear shock and springs off, did a good cleaning then put them back on. After putting them back on, I adjusted the left rear side A LOT (almost maxed out). It seems to be sitting proper now. I did a roll around the neighbor hood and seems to have stayed at the adjusted height. I am not sure to what solved it but the left side of our g37's must be ridiculously heavy compared to our right side. Thank you guys so much for your time and advice, I really appreciate it. This community is great!

Jay
I don't know why they are that way, but with these Tanabes it seems sometimes you will adjust them a lot and it doesn't change the ride height very much. Also keep in mind that they will still settle a little after driving for a few days so beware that you may have to do more adjustment then.
blnewt (01-14-2015)

Quick Reply: Ride Height Does Not Change After Adjusting Coilovers