Stiff clutch/Bad chatter?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 12:35 AM
Crewnecks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stiff clutch/Bad chatter?

I just bought my 2008 G37 Sport coupe in February and since I bought the car I have had the worst luck with my clutch.

I had the clutch and flywheel replaced with an Exedy clutch kit and flywheel but I had no idea it would cause such a bad chatter when I would have the car in neutral. It bothers me a little bit but what really gets on my nerves is when I'm below 2k RPMS it will make a really nasty loud chattering noise but overall the car drove ALOT better but only for about a month or so.

After 3 months it was really hard to put into gear then finally it had me stranded because my CSC went out and the shop that replaced my clutch didn't replace it when they did the clutch and flywheel so I had to get that replaced and when I got my G back it felt PERFECT. The clutch was really smooth and soft but not too soft but for only about 2 weeks. Then 2 months later the car was hard to put into gear again and the clutch was really stiff then it went out again and I had to get ANOTHER CSC put it.

Since getting my G back for the 3rd time the clutch is still incredibly stiff, hard to put into gear, and chatters TERRIBLY when I'm in neutral or below 2k RPMS.

I have tried replacing my clutch fluid, I have had the clutch bled twice by the mechanics who replaced my CSC but still have I had no luck getting the clutch to feel how it did the first time I had the CSC replaced.

Any thought? Any feedback is greatly appreciated
Old 11-09-2014, 01:58 AM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
Most guys who go with aftermarket clutch parts use the heavy duty CSC by zspeed or conceptz because the oem CSC does not hold up to higher pressure plate spring rates etc. too bad you didn't check here sooner. I would do the clutch master cylinder at the same time too. Both parts are not too expensive, but for you paying labor time and again is a rough deal. Hopefully you get it sorted out soon.

The chatter is due to the lighter single mass flywheel. Chatter is to be expected with that set up. Nothing wrong just annoying. Many similar complaints on here about the same problem. Your new flywheel might be better for some things like acceleration, but it does not have the mass or damping ability of the oem unit to quell firing pulses.
Old 11-09-2014, 07:33 AM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
Not sure why you made a choice to use non OEM replacements?

A quick search on the forums reveals others had similar problems.

Login

Originally Posted by SX APPEAL
Our shop just did a clutch on a 2008 G coupe and honestly, its not a job for a beginner. Not trying to insult your abilities or anything, but there's a reason it costs so much to do one at the dealership, its by no means a "throw it in" job. Ours was complicated even further by the fact that someone had already put a Spec stage 2 clutch/flywheel in at some point (car had 76K on it and had been through 2 clutches :gapteeth: ) and hadn't done the greatest job on the installation. Missing bolts everywhere, not to mention the flywheel bolts for the spec setup are different than the factory ones, so we add to wait on those for an extra day. Its a big job even for a master tech with helpers, a 2 post lift and a trans jack, not the kind of thing you want to be doing by yourself in your garage (unless you have a really awesome garage...)

Also on your synchro concern, depending on how many miles your car has and how you drive, yes they might be starting to get a bit worn, however you wont be able to directly inspect them without ripping the trans apart. For a typical clutch job, this is not done, as the trans gets removed but left intact. You wont see the inside of it by just having it out of the vehicle. Not sure what you're getting at when you say you "think its more the synchros than the transmission or clutch", as the synchros are part of the transmission. I understand wanting to work on your own vehicle to gain experience and knowledge, but judging by your current level of expertise, I'd strongly recommend that you have you clutch done by a professional and maybe take the learning in baby steps. :dblthumb:
On my previous 06 G35 I had the CSC replaced at the dealer under warranty at 92.2k miles for a sticking clutch pedal.
I never had another clutch problem and traded in the car at 171796 miles with the original clutch still working fine.

I find it hard to understand why some choose to use aftermarket parts perhaps because they are cheaper than OEM and then complain about problems afterwards.

When you buy cheap you usually end up buying twice with all the aggravation thrown in at no extra charge.

Just my $.02

Good luck to you

Telcoman
Old 11-09-2014, 03:11 PM
Crewnecks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I figured the Zspeed CSC would be my best bet but I wasn't too sure and wanted another opinion to see if it may fix my problem before I try it. Thank you.

The reason I chose to go with aftermarket wasn't at all the price. I knew that it would overall change the way the car performed and I was in need of a clutch and flywheel. I have so far enjoyed the Exedy clutch and flywheel however I was just concerned why my CSC which is OEM would be the part that is failing.

This has been very helpful. Thank you.
Old 11-09-2014, 03:25 PM
vqsmile

Received 142 Likes on 95 Posts
It sounds to me like whoever is doing your clutch work totally blew it.

As stated in the FSM, the reuse of a CSC is strictly forbidden due to the very high likelihood of contamination entering the hydraulic system. I suspect that when they replaced the clutch the first time, and DIDN'T replace the CSC, that from that point on your clutch hydraulics have been suffering some degree of contamination. At this point, I'd be replacing the master cylinder at a minimum, with a very thorough purge/flush of the hydraulic lines (or even outright replacement) to go along with whatever slave replacement you choose to go with from here on out. If this had been done initially, you would very likely have had no complaints except the noise from a non-dual mass fly.