Oriley's ruined my brake rotors while turning them

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 12:27 AM
landslide03

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Oriley's ruined my brake rotors while turning them

Ok I have a 2013 g with 27k miles on it. I wanted to do the 30k tune up and paint my calipers and replace my brakes with stop techs. The brake pads were still good and still had a lot of wear left in them. My rotors were working fine and smooth, they were a little glazed over but there were no groves in it. I brought them to Oriley's to get them turned as you are supposed to whenever you change the pads. The employee at the counter measured my rotors and said they were still within specs to turn down. I picked them up a few hours later and they were all messed up. Usually when a rotor is turned it is completely smooth and looks the same all throughout. When I picked them up all of them had issues. One had a chip out of the edge of it. When I pointed it out the employee said it doesn't matter because the pad does not seat that high. Then there were two distinct groves in the rotors with different wear pattern. I could feel it with my fingers. I showed it to one of the employees again and he had the person who did it come out. He said feel this, the employee felt it and said whats wrong with it. The other employee said use your knuckle. Then the guy who did them said, "The blade must have been dull" I went really slow so that may have been it too. Every single one had groves on it that was not on it when I brought them in. The employee said he would redo them and come back in an hour. I gave him the benefit of the doubt and returned. They were still just as bad as they were. This damage was not caused by my it was caused by their machine. The employee then said "I put new blades on it, I dont know what happened. The metal in the rotors must be different consistency or something." These are the oem brake rotors from Infiniti I doubt there could be a problem with them.

I then explain to him that these cannot be used and they were in worse condition than i brought them in. He just said well the best i can do is give you your money back for the turning. I told him that he just ruined $400 in parts and he said there was nothing he could do. I asked for the manager and he just replied by saying "I am the nighttime manager". Since he would not do anything for me I got my refund, and rotors and left.

What can I do about this? I had perfectly good rotors and they ruined them and just tried to refund me my money so I would go away. I was going to contact the BBB. But right now my car is up on jack stands and I don't want to install them and ruin my new pads. Plus then I will not have a case once it goes up through the chain, but as of now I do not have my car up and running.
The following users liked this post:
texaspablo (06-11-2023)
Old 08-24-2014, 12:44 AM
HoldmyMouse

Received 131 Likes on 111 Posts
I had rotors turned there before and came out nice. It' probably training issue at the store. I would definitely hit up corporate by going to their website and looking for contacts.

Any pictures by chance of the damage?
Old 08-24-2014, 02:52 AM
landslide03

Here is one of the rotors, but they all pretty much turned out like this.
Attached Thumbnails Oriley's ruined my brake rotors while turning them-rotor1.jpg   Oriley's ruined my brake rotors while turning them-rotor2.jpg   Oriley's ruined my brake rotors while turning them-rotor3.jpg  
texaspablo (06-11-2023)
Old 08-24-2014, 08:13 AM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by landslide03
Ok I have a 2013 g with 27k miles on it. I wanted to do the 30k tune up .
A tune up?

You could have changed the oil yourself, replaced your air filters and cabin filter. Checked all your fluids.
All very easy to do.

Years ago a tuneup consisted of new points, plugs, condenser, rotor, timing adjustment and a lube of grease fittings.
None of this is no longer necessary on today's vehicles.

...paint my calipers and replace my brakes with stop techs. The brake pads were still good and still had a lot of wear left in them. My rotors were working fine and smooth, they were a little glazed over but there were no groves in it.
What did this have to do with a tune up?

I brought them to Oriley's to get them turned as you are supposed to whenever you change the pads.
I thought you said the pads were still good?
Why would you change perfectly still good brake pads?
NEVER TRY TO FIX ANYTHING THAT ISN'T BROKE
I have a 2012 with 46k miles still with the oem pads with no problems

I picked them up a few hours later and they were all messed up.
Using poorly trained shops to work on a $40k+ vehicle is a big mistake in my opinion. You usually get what you pay for.

What can I do about this? I had perfectly good rotors and they ruined them and just tried to refund me my money so I would go away. I was going to contact the BBB. But right now my car is up on jack stands and I don't want to install them and ruin my new pads. Plus then I will not have a case once it goes up through the chain, but as of now I do not have my car up and running.
You just learned an important lesson.
Put the rotors and wheels back on and have your vehicle put on flatbed and towed to the nearest Infiniti dealer. Replace the rotors and have the work done by a qualified tech.

I'm on my second Infiniti. I only had rotors turned once with brake pads replaced once at 86k miles on my previous 06 G35. i had a loaner while the work was being done. They washed and vacuumed my vehicle and returned it in excellent condition.

You get what you pay for in today's world
Buy cheap, pay twice.

Good luck to you

Telcoman
Old 08-24-2014, 09:34 AM
Dough1397
Registered Member

Received 62 Likes on 35 Posts
Here is one of the rotors, but they all pretty much turned out like this.
Sorry to hear about your misfortune at O'Reilly's, talking to corporate seems like a good idea at this point.

Great pictures, but before you send them to corporate you should know that the correct spellings are "coarse" and "coarseness".
Old 08-24-2014, 09:42 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Many times rotors will look similar to yours after they've been machined. They don't look bad to me. They will not always be perfectly smooth like new ones after they've been machined. I had rotors from my wife's G turned at O'Reilly and they looked the same. I put them on the car and bedded in the pads. They worked perfectly fine. The grooves were completely gone when I checked after about a week of normal driving.
cecrops (08-24-2014)
Old 08-24-2014, 11:27 AM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
^+1. that's the first thing I though after seeing the pics. I don't see the big deal. I've had rotors turned before that looked similar. You'll be fine.

The only thing I agree with Telcoman on is asking why bother mess with the brakes if they had lots of life left?

When it comes time to replace your brakes, just buy some Centric premium blanks and pair with the pad of your choice, like Akebonos or the like. You seem like a DIY guy so the job is an easy one. I would definitely not be taking my car to a dealer for that job, considering the cost for OEM brake parts and dealer labor.
twin_snails (08-28-2014)
Old 08-24-2014, 12:16 PM
landslide03

Yea the reason I wanted to change my pads is I bought some Stop Techs and I painted the calipers. So I thought the proper thing to do was get them turned so the brakes would bed on a completely flat surface. When I first brought them in they were all smooth but glazed. Now that i can feel high points and low points with my finger nail I thought that was the entire reason why we got rotors turned in the first place. I'm going to try to contact their corporate office but in the mean time my car is still up on jack stands.
Old 08-24-2014, 12:16 PM
photopro
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
Dealer for brakes! ? No way unless you like giving away$$! An Infiniti is basically a glorified Nissan with twin piston front brakes! Parts are nothing special and oem are not great quality. Any reputable mechanic can replace or turn rotors not rocket science! Other issues maybe but brakes and rotors are straightforward repairs.
Old 08-24-2014, 01:18 PM
landslide03

Lol my thoughts exactly! I would not ever go to a dealer for brakes, plus I know how to change them my rant was just going off on how they messed up my rotors. The main manager is not in there today. I was going to try to contact him tomorrow. I am just bummed my car is still up on jack stands and I hate having unfinished projects when I am just missing one piece!
Old 08-24-2014, 03:22 PM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

Received 374 Likes on 178 Posts
Originally Posted by photopro
An Infiniti is basically a glorified Nissan with twin piston front brakes! Parts are nothing special and oem are not great quality.
Really?
Old 08-25-2014, 08:20 PM
landslide03

Ok I was able to talk to the real manager today, he looked at them and said what happened it they must have rattled loose as they were getting turned. He took them and gave them one more shot, he was able to get them perfectly smooth although now i am almost at the min thickness. So next time I change my brakes in another 30k I will replace my rotors. He even redid it for half price. So for Telcoman who wants to go to the dealer and pay a little more.... I was able to turn my rotors, replace pads with upgraded ones, and flush my entire brake system for under $200. I remember reading somewhere that the dealer charges almost $700 for the basic brake job! Plus it gave me time to bond and spend some tlc with my G
Old 08-25-2014, 10:08 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Ok I was able to talk to the real manager today, he looked at them and said what happened it they must have rattled loose as they were getting turned. He took them and gave them one more shot, he was able to get them perfectly smooth although now i am almost at the min thickness. So next time I change my brakes in another 30k I will replace my rotors. He even redid it for half price. So for Telcoman who wants to go to the dealer and pay a little more.... I was able to turn my rotors, replace pads with upgraded ones, and flush my entire brake system for under $200. I remember reading somewhere that the dealer charges almost $700 for the basic brake job! Plus it gave me time to bond and spend some tlc with my G
Glad you got them done to your satisfaction, and it's possible you'll get more than 30k out of that setup. FWIW I changed rotors/pads at 50k because I wanted some pads w/ better bite and some drilled/slotted rotors. To my surprise my OEM rotors and pads still had plenty of life left, I think I could have gotten another 20k on those pads. I think BlackBetty had a similar observation w/ stock pads/rotors getting closer to 75k.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:33 AM
landslide03

I hear you there they were not bad at all. But I got some new stop techs so hopefully they will have a little more bite!