Do sway bars offer any benefits if you already have stiffer springs?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 12:19 PM
SkylineOne

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Your car already has anti roll bars F/R. When you install new bars you will want something that's going to let you adjust them, you will want to adjust the F/R to dial out or dial in oversteer or understeer.

Who ever told you that Anti roll bars will make your car lose grip gave you very bad info.

I will recommend doing as much research as you can on how a cars suspension works and understanding the affects of lowering and changing out your roll bars. Don't just do what you see everyone else doing. You are going to want to setup your car to ride the way you drive and what you are looking for.

Also do not go cheap! this will come back to bit you in the end.

GL

Lowered Suspension Advantages and Disadvantages - CarsDirect

I would also recommend KW V1 and Cusco Roll bars.

Originally Posted by Lances Infiniti
I just got my swift springs on my car and the handling is improved quite a bit. Haven't decided weather or not i want sways because they make you lose grip in the corners. If i was to get sways i would just get 1 and put it in the back.
The following users liked this post:
halfshaft (08-19-2014)
Old 08-18-2014, 06:47 PM
G37Some

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by halfshaft
So even with both springs and sways the ride quality is still pretty decent? I’d like to avoid completely killing comfort if possible.
Yeah, I mean it is completely subjective and it is definitely stiffer than stock, but it isn't like omg this car feels like sh*t hitting bumps. Of course, you should try to avoid hitting big bumps regardless.

I have my sway bars set at soft in the front and medium in the back also. it is a good mix. I haven't felt the need to go stiffer.

I'd have to ask why youre set on mixing swift springs and eibach sways. why not just go with the eibach prokit. The drop will be the same amount, and it will save you money if you buy the pro-plus kit. I don't see the need to mix and match, just saying. in any case you will be happy though if you want stiffer, sportier handling
halfshaft (08-19-2014)
Old 08-18-2014, 10:47 PM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Received 560 Likes on 390 Posts
Just go with Eibach and you'll be happy. Ride quality is great while closing up the wheel gap. Gauge how that feels and then add sways if you'd like to reduce body roll.
Old 08-19-2014, 12:46 AM
halfshaft

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Those of you with lowering springs (Eibach, swift, etc), do you feel that the drop is still fairly daily driverable? I guess the drop has to be just about perfect since I won't be able to adjust anything after. How often are you all scraping on bumps and driveways? I really hope the ground clearance doesn't change enough to make driving a PITA.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:11 AM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Those of you with lowering springs (Eibach, swift, etc), do you feel that the drop is still fairly daily driverable? I guess the drop has to be just about perfect since I won't be able to adjust anything after. How often are you all scraping on bumps and driveways? I really hope the ground clearance doesn't change enough to make driving a PITA.
Eibach ProKit on my car for about 10k. I have about a 50 mile total commute for work and the car is my daily driver. I have not yet scraped the bumper, and I have a very bad curb leading up to my driveway. Take curbs, speed bumps, etc. with caution, as you probably do regardless, and this shouldn't be an issue with Eibach.

The Eibach springs are also GF approved . I haven't had any complaints about "ruining" the luxury feel of the car. The springs take out some of the floaty feel the car has. Instead of "bouncing" over a small bump, it will be more of a "thud" that isn't really heard or felt unless you are trying. No squeaks, no rattles, no nonsense with the Eibachs. I've never gotten out of the car after a ride of any distance and thought "Man, that was brutal.".

I would say that you are definitely doing your due diligence before taking this leap, but don't overthink it. I drove my car about 50 miles to a shop for installation of the springs. On the drive back, I was being very critical of how the ride quality was and could not point out any aspect that was really very noticeable. Any minute difference in the ride quality (not that there is much) will be made up when you step out of the car and see how it looks.

Now don't forget to buy camber kits and get a proper alignment after the install to make sure you get the most out of the setup.

Last edited by Ryne; 08-19-2014 at 11:21 AM.
halfshaft (08-19-2014)
Old 08-19-2014, 10:42 AM
JT2014

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
My Eibach sways will be on my car Saturday.
Old 08-19-2014, 03:01 PM
StoneColdG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the Eibach Pro kit installed, which is springs and F/R sway bars and it's great. Handling has improved from stock night and day difference. Not wife approved though, she has a hard time putting make-up in the car now. But going around those corners puts a smile on your face.
Old 08-19-2014, 03:03 PM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Originally Posted by StoneColdG
I have the Eibach Pro kit installed, which is springs and F/R sway bars and it's great. Handling has improved from stock night and day difference. Not wife approved though, she has a hard time putting make-up in the car now. But going around those corners puts a smile on your face.
Make-up isn't allowed to be put on in my G.
GS07 (08-23-2014)
Old 08-19-2014, 07:55 PM
G37Some

I DD my car with springs sways every day. the swift drop and eibach drop is the same. not sure about the spring rates
Old 08-22-2014, 05:05 PM
blackvr4tt

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Halfshaft I was in the same mindset as you about a year ago trying to decide on springs, amount of drop, sways etc. Here's my 2 cents:

- Coilovers - if you can afford them (typically selling for around $800 used) I would go with them. Having the adjustability to adjust exactly the drop of your car is huge. Alot of ppl, including myself regret not going this route.

- Springs - I went with Swift springs which I really like. But keep in mind the labor of swapping out all 4 springs (typically an hr a corner). I highly recommend these over the Eibachs because they do not drop the car enough and it will not look lowered. Even with the Swift springs it doesnt look that low, ideally I wish it was a touch lower with a drop of 1.4 F / 1.1 R. In terms of stiffness, the Swift springs are the best ride quality Ive driven. They are a constant spring rate and very close to stock.

- *Spacers - if you go with springs make sure you use spacers. With Swift springs and wider tires front and rear (245 F, 275 R) you can go 20mm spacers in the front and 15mm in the rear. With the wider and lower stance you will definitely notice the difference in body roll and handling!

- Sways - I will be putting these on in the next yr. While the swift springs have helped with body roll, the sways will make an even better difference.
Old 08-22-2014, 05:52 PM
G37Some

eibach drop, fwiw (no camber kits at the time, so tires tuck a little):

https://www.myg37.com/forums/3815326-post1698.html
Old 08-22-2014, 11:58 PM
halfshaft

Originally Posted by blackvr4tt
Halfshaft I was in the same mindset as you about a year ago trying to decide on springs, amount of drop, sways etc. Here's my 2 cents:

- Coilovers - if you can afford them (typically selling for around $800 used) I would go with them. Having the adjustability to adjust exactly the drop of your car is huge. Alot of ppl, including myself regret not going this route.

- Springs - I went with Swift springs which I really like. But keep in mind the labor of swapping out all 4 springs (typically an hr a corner). I highly recommend these over the Eibachs because they do not drop the car enough and it will not look lowered. Even with the Swift springs it doesnt look that low, ideally I wish it was a touch lower with a drop of 1.4 F / 1.1 R. In terms of stiffness, the Swift springs are the best ride quality Ive driven. They are a constant spring rate and very close to stock.

- *Spacers - if you go with springs make sure you use spacers. With Swift springs and wider tires front and rear (245 F, 275 R) you can go 20mm spacers in the front and 15mm in the rear. With the wider and lower stance you will definitely notice the difference in body roll and handling!

- Sways - I will be putting these on in the next yr. While the swift springs have helped with body roll, the sways will make an even better difference.

Thanks for the reply. Glad to hear the swift springs are so nice. I already went with the swift springs and eibach front and rear sways. I'll be putting them on in a few weeks. I'm also looking to go with spacers (20mm front and 15mm rear), I just need to decide between H&R DRS or DRM.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:58 PM
halfshaft

Originally Posted by G37Some
eibach drop, fwiw (no camber kits at the time, so tires tuck a little):

https://www.myg37.com/forums/3815326-post1698.html

Looking really good
Old 08-24-2014, 05:39 PM
dtea54

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
I would say coils and sways is a must. Coming from my e90 suspension. the g is quite softer then my e90. Both are on coil set up but the handling on the e90 is more tight gives quite a lot of feed back. Hopefully by doing a sway up grade on my g paired with coilovers will give it more of a stiff turn in feeling.
Old 08-24-2014, 07:09 PM
JT2014

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Just put the Eibach sways on my car. Front soft, rear medium. I do feel a difference. How much? Not really that drastic. I was expecting a drastic difference given the feedback...
I'll give it a few weeks, might dial the rears to max.

Quick Reply: Do sway bars offer any benefits if you already have stiffer springs?