Help with lowering/deciding camber kits

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 02:52 PM
MylilG

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Help with lowering/deciding camber kits

Let's start off with my car. I have a bone stock 2008 G35X sedan. I wanted to go with the BC Coilovers since it seems like it is favored by everyone and have great adjustability (Please don't hesitate to try to change my mind though). I want to do the camber kits on both, front and rear, just in case I want to change things around (Up, down, in, out). I'm just a little confused on the camber kits available. I believe some people were saying something about grinding/opening a hole in the rear for the SPC camber kit. I'm not worried too much about price, but more on fitment and reliability. What kind of camber kits do you have and difficulty in installation? I want to lower to get rid of the wheel gap for now, but will be getting some 20's pretty soon. I want to do this installation right the first time around so all help is greatly appreciated. Also, Is there anything else I'm missing here to complete the "lowering" process besides squaring my alignment?
Old 05-21-2014, 04:07 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by MylilG
Let's start off with my car. I have a bone stock 2008 G35X sedan. I wanted to go with the BC Coilovers since it seems like it is favored by everyone and have great adjustability (Please don't hesitate to try to change my mind though). I want to do the camber kits on both, front and rear, just in case I want to change things around (Up, down, in, out). I'm just a little confused on the camber kits available. I believe some people were saying something about grinding/opening a hole in the rear for the SPC camber kit. I'm not worried too much about price, but more on fitment and reliability. What kind of camber kits do you have and difficulty in installation? I want to lower to get rid of the wheel gap for now, but will be getting some 20's pretty soon. I want to do this installation right the first time around so all help is greatly appreciated. Also, Is there anything else I'm missing here to complete the "lowering" process besides squaring my alignment?
The rear toe slot needs to be elongated so the new SPC toe bolt can slide its' whole adjustment range, you only need to elongate the inner side of the slot even though the template shows that both sides need to be ground away. There's a DIY for this on the site but don't have it handy. As far as coilovers, I'd look into the Fortune 500 coils that are just coming out for the X, hopefully there will be feedback on them soon. Might shoot a PM to Conner and see how they're coming along
https://www.myg37.com/forums/members...noisseurr.html
BTW, welcome to the site!
Brad
The following users liked this post:
MylilG (06-27-2014)
Old 05-21-2014, 05:26 PM
MylilG

Thank you for the reply and welcome blnewt.

It's funny because I was just looking at the whole process for elongating it right before I checked up on this. I was looking at this write up. http://www.batit.com/forumpics/spctoeboltinstall.pdf

I feel like I've been reading forever the past 3 days on this and the more I read, the more I feel confused on the whole lowering bid and what I need. I saw these write ups on installing http://g35driver.com/forums/g35-coup...m-install.html http://g35driver.com/forums/brakes-s...t-install.html but they're for the 2003-2007 model. Would it be the same?

I seen the post for the Fortune 500's. The K-Sports look nice but thought that the BC's were the best choice. Now with all the horror stories of the clunking noises, I'm kind of skeptical about it now. I just want to do this the right way the first time.

I will definitely make a complete write up on the whole installation, from start to finish, for everyone that needs help on this subject.

Last edited by MylilG; 05-21-2014 at 06:13 PM. Reason: update
Old 05-21-2014, 09:03 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Here's a decent thread on the toe bolt DIY, My reply #51 is an easier way to cut the slot (at least in my opinion)
https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...amber-kit.html
If you can hold off a bit and see what's going on w/ the Fortune coils that might be a good plan. I have Megan LP coils for about 30k miles now w/out issue but mine's a RWD so not sure if there would be similar clunking w/ the X model that the BCs are experiencing.
Old 05-22-2014, 12:12 AM
MylilG

Thanks for the help. After watching these 72050 / 72055 - G35 Rear Camber Arm - Specialty Products Company - YouTube ,
I got a better understanding. I guess now I know what I need to make it possible. Now the question is what coil overs to go with.
Old 05-30-2014, 10:53 AM
chris_s

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I think I'm resigning myself to needing a camber kit with my overly low swift spring drop

so to clarify, what is it that needs a bolt hole elongated? Is it for adjusting camber or is it a toe thing? The alignment shop was able to get my toe in spec with no adjustable aftermarket parts. Would I still need to do more than just bolt on the upper front arms and rear arms?

Also there seems to be some debate on the durability of the SPC arms, or is that based on a previous version of this product?

thanks!
Old 05-30-2014, 11:36 AM
ChinkyChoy
Premier Member

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts
I also have an 08 G35x with the same exact set up you are going with.

I installed everything about 4 years ago and its a pretty straight forward install.

only thing is as you mentioned elongating the holes which can be done with a dremel.
Old 05-30-2014, 03:28 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by chris_s
I think I'm resigning myself to needing a camber kit with my overly low swift spring drop

so to clarify, what is it that needs a bolt hole elongated? Is it for adjusting camber or is it a toe thing? The alignment shop was able to get my toe in spec with no adjustable aftermarket parts. Would I still need to do more than just bolt on the upper front arms and rear arms?

Also there seems to be some debate on the durability of the SPC arms, or is that based on a previous version of this product?

thanks!
The SPC arms have gone through a couple changes to improve strength. Never had any issues w/ mine in about 3 years. Check this thread for the toe bolt install. It's just the slot that the toe bolt runs through in the inner part of the spring bucket AKA lower control arm. The front toe is adjusted w/ tie rods so no modifying needed up there.
Here's the thread
https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...amber-kit.html
my reply #51 details an easier way to cut the slot.
HTHs
Brad
Old 05-31-2014, 12:19 AM
MylilG

So I have about a month to make my decision on Coilovers. I'm looking at getting either the K-sports, The D2's or the Fortune Auto 500's. Can someone please tell me what the ride feels like compared to stock? I want about a 1-1.5" drop. Don't know which ones to go with right now.

I hear everyone talking about the Swift springs too. How much of a difference is it as far as comfort?
Old 05-31-2014, 08:26 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

So I have about a month to make my decision on Coilovers. I'm looking at getting either the K-sports, The D2's or the Fortune Auto 500's. Can someone please tell me what the ride feels like compared to stock? I want about a 1-1.5" drop. Don't know which ones to go with right now.

I hear everyone talking about the Swift springs too. How much of a difference is it as far as comfort?
Coupe or Sedan?
Swifts will drop around an inch give or take, one of the best solutions for getting rid of the large wheel gap but still retaining as close to a factory ride.
Coilovers will be a stiffer setup and although you can adjust the dampers there's a fine line between soft and floaty. Most set the coils about midway up the firmness scale because going softer than that results in too much bias toward the springs which will give you a bouncy ride.

If you just want a mild drop and a comfortable daily driver on a limited budget the Swifts would be a good choice IMO. If you want a firmer ride and the ability to get you car the exact height you want then coilovers FTW, and if you plan to track your car then also coilovers all the way.
Old 05-31-2014, 09:58 AM
MylilG

It a 2008 G35x sedan. Lol, I meant to say the coilovers with the swift springs. Not just the springs by themselves. I hear good reviews on the KW V3's but are really out of my budget.
Old 05-31-2014, 02:55 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

It a 2008 G35x sedan. Lol, I meant to say the coilovers with the swift springs. Not just the springs by themselves. I hear good reviews on the KW V3's but are really out of my budget.
I'd look into the Fortune 500s then, I believe the Swift spring option was part of the group buy pricing w/ the THMotorsports deal.
Old 05-31-2014, 05:03 PM
MylilG

Originally Posted by blnewt
I'd look into the Fortune 500s then, I believe the Swift spring option was part of the group buy pricing w/ the THMotorsports deal.
Yeah, I've been leaning more towards the 500's but the only thing that I'm kind of worried about is that the really haven't been tried out long enough. I'm not questioning the quality but would like some feedback first on how they are before I commit.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:18 PM
MylilG

Just ordered the Fortune Auto 500's today. Thanks to Luke from THMotorsports for his help on everything. Got a great deal with the swift springs upgrade. Can't wait until they get here.

Last edited by MylilG; 06-04-2014 at 11:19 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-05-2014, 12:09 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Just ordered the Fortune Auto 500's today. Thanks to Luke from THMotorsports for his help on everything. Got a great deal with the swift springs upgrade. Can't wait until they get here.
Nice!
Look forward to your review & pics when they are on

Quick Reply: Help with lowering/deciding camber kits