Need Advice on New Suspension! Mainly....

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 09:05 PM
rollaspeed1

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Need Advice on New Suspension! Mainly....

So I have a low milage (under 50K mi) ,08 S model and like it. It is a G35 but I am pretty sure its at least 90% similar suspensionwise. I am contemplating a few things up to and including getting a different car (2011-12 Mustang GT or similarly priced and powered car). If I keep the G, I'd put it through a second round of mods, suspension being first as I feel like stock shocks are giving out and had become floaty at high speeds. Currently I am on Eibach's and 20" MRR wheels running I think 245/275. I do not have a camber kit at the current height and keep toe in the green, and something like -2 camber.

Cost is a big factor.

Most seem to agree that sways and end links are a must so I'd be doing that. That's about $500. On top, here are the options I am contemplating and hoping to keep cost in check and as close to another $500 as possible, but not set in stone:

1. Good INEXPENSIVE coils while staying at the same height.
2. Keeping Eibacks and upgrading the shocks to maybe Koni's or such.
3. Get a different car.
4. Your suggestion as to different suspension mods.
5. Alternative mods. I am open to ideas that may make me want to keep it for another 2 years or so.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:06 PM
rollaspeed1

Currently I have Wheels/springs/cat-back/drop ins/Hyperteck canned tune/visual mods
Old 05-20-2014, 09:41 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
A 2011+ Mustang is going to be a big step up in straight line performance. If you want something faster and newer, and don't mind a coupe, it's probably the way to go. I would try and find one with the track package and Brembo brakes if it were me.

If you don't want to swallow a new car payment, I would do the Konis. It's my plan when I get to the 45K mileage range.

I don't think you need upgraded end links with sway bars. I'd skip that, should be able to get sways for ~$300.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:50 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,727 Likes on 3,532 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
I don't think you need upgraded end links with sway bars.
It's the drop on a 6 year old suspension with 50K miles that's going to compromise the end-links over time.

At least, that seems to be the consensus of opinion, AFAIK. I'm not even remotely there yet, so I can't say first-hand.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:57 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
It's the drop on a 6 year old suspension with 50K miles that's going to compromise the end-links over time.

At least, that seems to be the consensus of opinion, AFAIK. I'm not even remotely there yet, so I can't say first-hand.
Good point. But if you're on a budget, it would seem to be an easy thing to cut out--and $500 is tight for coils or Konis. They aren't hard to get to and could be upgraded when needed.

I broke an end link on my Mazda 6s, you'll most definitely know when you snap one
Old 05-21-2014, 12:25 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Good point. But if you're on a budget, it would seem to be an easy thing to cut out--and $500 is tight for coils or Konis. They aren't hard to get to and could be upgraded when needed.

I broke an end link on my Mazda 6s, you'll most definitely know when you snap one
At least OEM end links are cheap, I snapped one when I removed one of my struts

OP, If you keep your G I'd rethink the budget just a bit. Keeping your G will save a lot of money compared to a new car payment. I'd try to bump the coil budget up to about $1100 and consider the Stance SS Coils or just a tad more and get the KW1s, and I'd also get the full F&R camber/toe kit. This might equal 3 car payments but you'd have a solid ride for sure. You could sell the Eibachs to recoup a bit of that budget.
G/L with whatever you decide, those 5.0s are quite compelling.
Old 05-21-2014, 12:47 AM
rollaspeed1

Endlinks aside, would getting coilovers be that much better than getting adjustable shocks?

Also, it is a 6 year old car so I don't really mind slightly used parts...
Old 05-21-2014, 12:52 AM
rollaspeed1

I just thought that another option could be buying take off stock shocks?
Old 05-21-2014, 07:14 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Originally Posted by rollaspeed1
Endlinks aside, would getting coilovers be that much better than getting adjustable shocks?

Also, it is a 6 year old car so I don't really mind slightly used parts...

Koni's are Made in Germany and have a lifetime warranty. I ran them on my F-body with 1.2" lowering springs and loved them. I don't think there is any absolute data to say one is 'that much better' than the other.

Not many people on here run Koni shocks. You would probably have better luck researching them over on the370z.com. We run the same p/n, so it would be a better place to try and pick up a used set, although the warranty is only good for the first user.
Old 05-21-2014, 06:27 PM
rollaspeed1

I came across KYB replacements for $315 shipped. They seem to have good reviews when paired with the ProKit that I already have. I drive less than 10K miles per year so if it works like new for another 2 to 3 years I'd rather spend my money on something else than an expensive set of coils and camber kits. I doubt that I'll keep my G for longer than another year or two.

Unless any of you think they aren't up to par, I'm going to get that and some sways.
Old 05-21-2014, 06:58 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Originally Posted by rollaspeed1
I came across KYB replacements for $315 shipped. They seem to have good reviews when paired with the ProKit that I already have. I drive less than 10K miles per year so if it works like new for another 2 to 3 years I'd rather spend my money on something else than an expensive set of coils and camber kits. I doubt that I'll keep my G for longer than another year or two.

Unless any of you think they aren't up to par, I'm going to get that and some sways.
I never really heard good things about KYB

There are coils over on the 370 board for $700, and someome has Nismo take off shocks for $400. I'd check over there before pulling the trigger on anything.

Can you guess who is lurking for some konis
Old 05-21-2014, 08:43 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

I never really heard good things about KYB
Soundmike had a pretty good review on KYBs and Swifts, he's a pretty knowledgeable guy and has had quite a few suspension combos over the years. I'd trust his opinion.
Brief review of Swift Mach springs - G35Driver
The following users liked this post:
Lego_Maniac (05-21-2014)
Old 05-21-2014, 09:05 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Originally Posted by blnewt
Soundmike had a pretty good review on KYBs and Swifts, he's a pretty knowledgeable guy and has had quite a few suspension combos over the years. I'd trust his opinion.
Brief review of Swift Mach springs - G35Driver
Thanks for the link

soundmike
I think you'll be pleasantly surprised coming from an OEM set-up. If you want an even better ride, pair it up with Koni Yellows!

G35Driver - View Single Post - Brief review of Swift Mach springs

Stop making me want to buy Konis
Old 05-21-2014, 09:09 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Thanks for the link

soundmike
I think you'll be pleasantly surprised coming from an OEM set-up. If you want an even better ride, pair it up with Koni Yellows!

G35Driver - View Single Post - Brief review of Swift Mach springs

Stop making me want to buy Konis
LOL, I told you I'd trust his opinion
The KYBs should be a better setup than OEM especially when paired w/ lowering springs, not Konis but a definite improvement.
Old 05-23-2014, 07:20 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Received 178 Likes on 117 Posts
I'm running Koni Yellows on stock springs. Will be going to Swifts soon. I had the same think happening where the suspension was feeling floaty on the highway. Koni Yellows solved that problem completely. I'm very happy with the Koni's so far.

Quick Reply: Need Advice on New Suspension! Mainly....