Just bought BC racing coils

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 09:49 AM
techG37elec

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ANMVQ
Same thing they told me???
Yeah.... it is... sorry I didnt quote you on my initial response copying that.

As far as the differences from right rear to the left..... the sheet metal IS different. My guess is.... from studying one side vs the other.... is that there is an angular difference between them. I can notice that with very little preload, the spring seems to almost want to kick out on that side (right) while the left seems to sit flat? Its not an issue w the stock setup bc the isolator is so thick and accounts for this???. Imho. BUT.... what would be the purpose in one side to the other being asymmetrical? in manufacture?

I may get back into this today if I find time.... I have a band aid I want to try.
"Squeaky wheel gets the grease".... more of us need to call BC if they keep pushing this off as an install error.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:01 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by techG37elec
As far as the differences from right rear to the left..... the sheet metal IS different. My guess is.... from studying one side vs the other.... is that there is an angular difference between them. I can notice that with very little preload, the spring seems to almost want to kick out on that side (right) while the left seems to sit flat? Its not an issue w the stock setup bc the isolator is so thick and accounts for this???. Imho. BUT.... what would be the purpose in one side to the other being asymmetrical? in manufacture?
Good stuff right there ^^^
From what you're saying the right side seems to have at least enough variation that you've noticed a rather significant difference in the way the slightly loaded spring behaves. I would imagine if the linear operation of the spring is disrupted due to the angle of the mount it could result in noisier operation. Thanks for giving this a closer look and you may be on to something here.
Old 02-16-2014, 03:16 PM
Dj1ofDet
Registered Member

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
Out of those having the sound issues, does anyone have upgraded end links? I'm wondering if the sound may be just the clunking I had before with Springs only, magnified by the aftermarket shocks? Just another thought...
Old 02-16-2014, 03:53 PM
techG37elec

Originally Posted by Dj1ofDet
Out of those having the sound issues, does anyone have upgraded end links? I'm wondering if the sound may be just the clunking I had before with Springs only, magnified by the aftermarket shocks? Just another thought...
Not me.Stock.
Old 02-17-2014, 04:50 AM
Sylo
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Allow me to chime in, I have AMR Engineering coilovers that are pretty similar to BC and they make a lot of noise, especially if I am driving on low speeds on uneven road (rear right being most prominent). I always thought it was the spring playing around so I installed rubber isolators which I have made myself. In the pic below you can see the thick 1" rubber isolator that replaced the aftermarket top hat, below that is another 1" rubber with that sits between the spring and the height adjuster (1/2" rubber between the spring and the height adjuster). I was hoping this would make the noise disappear but it didn't. It is really frustrating not being able to fix this. I am leaning towards the shocks being the culprit.

Name:  IMG_3502.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  113.4 KB
Old 02-17-2014, 06:05 AM
techG37elec

Wink

Originally Posted by Sylo
Allow me to chime in, I have AMR Engineering coilovers that are pretty similar to BC and they make a lot of noise, especially if I am driving on low speeds on uneven road (rear right being most prominent). I always thought it was the spring playing around so I installed rubber isolators which I have made myself. In the pic below you can see the thick 1" rubber isolator that replaced the aftermarket top hat, below that is another 1" rubber with that sits between the spring and the height adjuster (1/2" rubber between the spring and the height adjuster). I was hoping this would make the noise disappear but it didn't. It is really frustrating not being able to fix this. I am leaning towards the shocks being the culprit.

Very interesting.... your bottom fix was what I was aiming for..... now you have me thinking that I may be barking up the wrong tree? I hadn't even thought of the shock.... hmmm.... I mean I had made sure the top 17mm nut was tight, so I obviously removed the whole shock and it all looked/felt fine.... then re-installed it. On my car, the sound "seems" to eminate from the spring when I tug on it. I need to keep an open mind on this. Thanks.

But... did the noise you experienced sound kinda like a "creaking" noise? "dull" rattle? Did adding the rubber change anything???
Thanks for "chiming" in..... gotta look at all aspects of this.

Damn weather has prevented me from trying anything lately.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:57 AM
Dj1ofDet
Registered Member

Right now in the rear I'm running the BC strut, with Swift lowering Springs, which use the factory top hat. I don't think the spring is the issue. In the other hand, how is it that 2 different manufacturers are having the same issue? Could this issue be coming from the end links? So far, no one running coilovers in this thread has aftermarket end links.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:25 PM
Sylo
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
So far I don't hear any "creaking" noise but the rattling noise is still there (as if I have something loose in my trunk). I too thought it was the spring as you can make a similar noise by moving it around. I can't make the noise with the rubber installed.
Did anyone try setting the shocks at full stiffness? On other forums this helped. I was thinking of doing the same next time I get a chance to work on my car.

Originally Posted by techG37elec
Very interesting.... your bottom fix was what I was aiming for..... now you have me thinking that I may be barking up the wrong tree? I hadn't even thought of the shock.... hmmm.... I mean I had made sure the top 17mm nut was tight, so I obviously removed the whole shock and it all looked/felt fine.... then re-installed it. On my car, the sound "seems" to eminate from the spring when I tug on it. I need to keep an open mind on this. Thanks.

But... did the noise you experienced sound kinda like a "creaking" noise? "dull" rattle? Did adding the rubber change anything???
Thanks for "chiming" in..... gotta look at all aspects of this.

Damn weather has prevented me from trying anything lately.
Old 02-17-2014, 05:43 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
Nice work guys so far , has anyone tired using a different gasket on the top of the strut to the body ( the flat spot) ? I there is an angle issue that would move around no?
Old 02-17-2014, 09:29 PM
Dj1ofDet
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ANMVQ
Nice work guys so far , has anyone tired using a different gasket on the top of the strut to the body ( the flat spot) ? I there is an angle issue that would move around no?
What gasket are you using? I just re-used the factory one. Is there an aftermarket rubber/sound dampening one available?
Old 02-17-2014, 10:20 PM
superjer2000

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For the bc's it is definitely the shock and nothing else. Mine were noise free for about 4,000km and then the popcorn rattle noise started. Everything was still tight as a drum. Both sides made the noise but one side was worse

Once I put my stock shocks back on, the noise was gone.
Old 02-18-2014, 06:40 AM
techG37elec

Originally Posted by superjer2000
For the bc's it is definitely the shock and nothing else. Mine were noise free for about 4,000km and then the popcorn rattle noise started. Everything was still tight as a drum. Both sides made the noise but one side was worse

Once I put my stock shocks back on, the noise was gone.

I'm just perplexed as to why its "just" the RIGHT side. Not one complaint re the left. It very well could be shock related, I don't discount that.

I drove mine last night, really concentrating on "where" the sound was coming from. It does appear "high".... shock? BUT, why just the one side? As I said the sheet metal is different where the spring adjusters fit.

Weather permitting, I am going to spend some time on this and find the answer, unless someone beats me to it! Its GOT to be simple! At least what's CAUSING it! I will post back, with hopefully, a cure or sumtin. Rick

I have sent another mail to BC, (my second in a week and a half), haven't heard back from either one. Would be promising if they replied to one of them saying they were working on it.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:14 AM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
Originally Posted by Dj1ofDet
What gasket are you using? I just re-used the factory one. Is there an aftermarket rubber/sound dampening one available?

There is there are isolators sold buy energy suspensions. We just need to know the size?

energysuspension.com | Shock Boots & Coil Spring Isolators
Old 02-18-2014, 10:56 AM
platinumg35x

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Guys I honestly don't think this issue will EVER be resolved. The noise issue with the BC coils has been going on since they came out (so for about 4-5 years). They've received COUNTLESS emails and complaints regarding them, yet they still choose to sell their coils without modifying them or even attempting to find the issue. I also had noise issues with these coilovers; there would be a rattle in the rear. They gave me the same bull-crap they're giving all of you right now - that the clunk is due to improper adjustment, etc. They told me the same as well 2 years ago. I went to about 3 installers who have installed HUNDREDS of coilovers for reinstallation and the noises persisted! Is BC seriously going to tell me now that these installers didn't know how to properly adjust the coils?!? Heck, one of those installers was actually one of BC-racing's OWN RECOMMENDED installers in the tri-state area, and he too couldn't solve the issue!!! I wasted a few hundred dollars for these installation/reinstallations. BC even sent me new shocks but even after installing those, the noise persisted. I eventually got sick of the noise and also of throwing money down the drain. Went back to stock suspension and no noises.

Yes, some people with these coils have no noise issues, and it's not because they properly adjusted thier coils while others did not. It's simply because many of their units are flawed from production. There is absolutely no other explanation. It really is hit or miss with these coils and I've noticed that the noise issues iare more prevalent in the AWD models.

DO NOT BUY THESE COILS. THERE IS A VERY VERY HIGH CHANCE YOU WILL HAVE NOISE ISSUES ESPECIALLY IF YOU DRIVE AN X.
Old 02-18-2014, 01:42 PM
mystikal
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I've done the install for these coils, and posted a DIY for the X model on this forum (somewhere)

As for the "Chattering," you need to make sure the locking rings are tighten correctly on the REAR STRUTS (not the springs) make sure the vehicle is on some sort of pressure so you can tighten the rear locking on the struts

Quick Reply: Just bought BC racing coils