Just bought BC racing coils

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 05:19 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by san~man
Are those measurements correct? How can the ID be more than the OD?

Those measurements also don't match any items B linked either
Just went out and "ballparked" some measurements on my Megan LPs (which should be the same as the BCs), looks like the threaded collar section is about 1.90" OD, the Spring ID according to Megans' website is 62mm (about 2.44") so that seems about right as it looks like the springs' ID is about 1/4" away from the threads on the collar.

Old 02-10-2014, 05:20 PM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Received 752 Likes on 356 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
Just went out and "ballparked" some measurements on my Megan LPs (which should be the same as the BCs), looks like the threaded collar section is about 1.90" OD, the Spring ID according to Megans' website is 62mm (about 2.44") so that seems about right as it looks like the springs' ID is about 1/4" away from the threads on the collar.

It seems like Megan and BC coilovers are priced about the same, with similar features. Does Megan suffer from the came clacky noises that come with the BC? I'm thinking about picking some up.
Old 02-10-2014, 05:26 PM
techG37elec

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Well... I spoke w Tim at BC. He was interested enough to have me send an email describing the issue, as well as, pictures... which I didn't take in yesterdays rain/snow mix. He wasn't aware of any noise issues from the right rear on the G37/35 installations so I sent an email with a few links from the threads re this. Hope this happens quick....

I know there are some pix/links in some of the threads, but if any of you have them of the right rear showing the spring and mount.... maybe you can send them to the following email address: (tech@bcracing-na.com). I guess it may be helpful, although I don't know what it could possibly show.

Hopefully they can provide an updated bushing for the spring to upper adjuster surface.
Old 02-10-2014, 05:35 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

It looks like there's a few options for thickness here~
energysuspension.com | Shock Boots & Coil Spring Isolators
Style A~ w/ the proper ID fit (measurement B) of 2 3/8" part # 9.6103 w/ a 7/32" pad thickness
part # 9.6116 w/ a pad thickness of 1/4"

And for extreme isolation Style D~ part #9.6115
This one has a riser height 5/8" but actually might not be as effective since it doesn't have teh flat mating surface of the other two, and the top coilover spring is flat on the top for a flat mating surface to the height collar.

IMO the Style A part # 9.6116 w/ a pad thickness of 1/4" would be the one to get.

Of course this assumes the BC spring diameters are the same

FWIW I just checked the isolators I "blindly" bought off Ebay months ago and the part # is 9.6119G, so it's style D and a bit too big for my application and the slanted mating surface wouldn't work anyhow. Guess the dog can chew on 'em
The following users liked this post:
ANMVQ (02-10-2014)
Old 02-10-2014, 05:43 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by GoFightNguyen
It seems like Megan and BC coilovers are priced about the same, with similar features. Does Megan suffer from the came clacky noises that come with the BC? I'm thinking about picking some up.
My Megans have some "clackiness" over washboard type bumps, hence the inquiries about some form of isolation where the top of the rear spring meets the height adjusting collar. My Megans don't have the right rear clunk that all the BC guys have been talking about. I'm hoping a bit more isolation and that will cure the clacky issue, or at least mute it down as that's the only real issue I've had, and I've got 20k miles on them.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:28 PM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

Received 182 Likes on 128 Posts
I think I'm about to jump on these D2 coils...... Seems like whatever Tunerz Store was working on, didn't really change much. I bet those D2s would ride nice with some swift springs as well...
Old 02-10-2014, 08:41 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by connoisseurr
I think I'm about to jump on these D2 coils...... Seems like whatever Tunerz Store was working on, didn't really change much. I bet those D2s would ride nice with some swift springs as well...
Good luck Conner, nice to hear of another option for you guys. That BC/Swift project does seem to be withering on the vine
Old 02-11-2014, 11:54 AM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
Hey Blnewt I'm going to order this tonight (IMO the Style A part # 9.6116 w/ a pad thickness of 1/4" would be the one to get).

BTW I think my coils came yesterday, I had a UPS tag on my door , I signed it so they can leave it
Old 02-11-2014, 02:03 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by ANMVQ
Hey Blnewt I'm going to order this tonight (IMO the Style A part # 9.6116 w/ a pad thickness of 1/4" would be the one to get).

BTW I think my coils came yesterday, I had a UPS tag on my door , I signed it so they can leave it
I'd make sure that your springs are the same dimensions as mine prior to submitting the order, if not I guess I could buy them from you if they don't work for you
Old 02-11-2014, 06:53 PM
NoveL48
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2 months with BC's on my coupe and they are still clunking. They got a lot better and aren't as loud but it's still getting on my ****ing nerves. I think I'll link BC tech support to this thread so they can either explain a fix or tell us what is wrong with their product..

Originally Posted by warpeacelove
Come on! that Vendor is playing themselves acting like their totally surprised by your questions/statement. When the fact is that this problem is well documented about the "BC BR Type Coilovers" they produce noise from the rear right-hand side (Strut).

Bc racing rear coilover noise - YouTube
Holy **** that's a lot of noise. That sounds like the car is being dropped.. Mine is a lot more quite and less noticeable. You would have to focus on the noise to notice it.. But still quite annoying.
Old 02-12-2014, 01:00 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

I just emailed them about this thread and the link

(Your message was sent successfully. Thanks.)
Old 02-12-2014, 07:01 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

What I got back from BC
Mike,

The infamous clunk people complain about is simply an adjustment error. You must make sure you adjust the rear shock along with the spring perch in order to maintain proper spring preload and avoid noises.

If spring preload is not properly maintained, the spring will have play in it that it is not supposed to have. going over bumps and road imperfections will then cause the noise you see complaints about.

We offer a 1 year warranty against manufacturing defects and will troubleshoot problems with customers on a daily basis. You can be assured if you have problems, we will do everything within reason to fix it for you.

Sam
Old 02-12-2014, 07:27 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

What I got back from BC
Mike,

The infamous clunk people complain about is simply an adjustment error. You must make sure you adjust the rear shock along with the spring perch in order to maintain proper spring preload and avoid noises.

If spring preload is not properly maintained, the spring will have play in it that it is not supposed to have. going over bumps and road imperfections will then cause the noise you see complaints about.

We offer a 1 year warranty against manufacturing defects and will troubleshoot problems with customers on a daily basis. You can be assured if you have problems, we will do everything within reason to fix it for you.

Sam
At least they're keeping open lines of communication. I'll be getting those isolators pretty soon so I'll post back when I get around to it. I'm certain they'll help.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:05 PM
warpeacelove

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
What I got back from BC
Mike,

Sam

I called them a bunch of cunXX as my preload is fine yet it still produces noise. Knock! Knock! Who's there? BC'S.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:25 PM
rm2342

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
Is that nylon gasket the one shown in the vid I posted or is there a cushion / gasket
That sits between the top of the spring and coil mount? Maybe just a thicker gasket would work . I'm starting to think about calling and stopping the order ? do we have no options on coils other than these for the AWD's

Is there a specific reason you want the Coilovers vs. Springs and a nicely paired Shock set?

Quick Reply: Just bought BC racing coils