Just bought BC racing coils

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 09:43 AM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
Originally Posted by ChinkyChoy
sorry to hear man.

did you at least take a ride with the shop tech so he could see and experiance what was going on? or what did he say at least?
He took it for a ride and heard the noise but said he didn't know why,
The shaking he's supposed to take it for a ride this morning , I'm giving them one more shot . I have been modding cars for a long time and this by far has been the most frustrating. Wheels and drop = undrivable car and has been supposedly fixed twice?
Old 03-14-2014, 09:55 AM
ChinkyChoy
Premier Member

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts
good luck!

i guess i got lucky when i put my coils in i didnt get any of what youre experiencing
I cant see how coils would cause all the shaking, but i know that if there was any small shaking caused by something else it could magnify it. I d double check the swaybars too in case. Also did you get a camber kit? maybe you need one of those to really get the alignment back in to spec or at least to a point where they wont shake? sorry just throwing out ideas
Old 03-14-2014, 10:20 AM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

No camber kit yet , I didn't run one on my coupe and the drop was the same the Alimgment was a tad off on the coupe but no shaking . Thanx man tho swing ideas is helping
Old 03-14-2014, 12:36 PM
Pete@BC

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ANMVQ
No camber kit yet , I didn't run one on my coupe and the drop was the same the Alimgment was a tad off on the coupe but no shaking . Thanx man tho swing ideas is helping
Have you thrown the stock wheel and tires back on to rule out a unbalanced wheel/tire for the shake? In my years in the industry I have seen tires and wheels that cant balance properly. Also if the wheel is not hubcentric this can cause vibrations.

If there is any issue whether it be a loose bolt, ring, or anything that would cause a noise, the softer the shock the more the noise issue will be evident.

We have a G37 on the lift right now looking over anything that pops out. Granted it would be best working with someone that has a issue.
Old 03-14-2014, 01:17 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Pete@BC
Have you thrown the stock wheel and tires back on to rule out a unbalanced wheel/tire for the shake? In my years in the industry I have seen tires and wheels that cant balance properly. Also if the wheel is not hubcentric this can cause vibrations.

If there is any issue whether it be a loose bolt, ring, or anything that would cause a noise, the softer the shock the more the noise issue will be evident.

We have a G37 on the lift right now looking over anything that pops out. Granted it would be best working with someone that has a issue.
Hi Pete , Thanx man,

I drove on those wheels for three days for the drop , So called wheel balance and alignment. I had very small and I mean small shake. Nothing even really that bad or noticeable. after the drop( which the front was slammed btw- how it comes) Which I didn't want and that was ignored! Plus the other work I took the car home on HW and it was shaking like crazy. I brought it back the next day( Yesterday) to have the front raised and realignment and balance done all over again . They raised it now the passenger side is a little higher than the drivers they have no idea why? We tried adjusting the dampening ( 20 Clicks soft) to help how harsh the ride was and possibly help with all the noise coming from the rear. Nothing worked, car drives worse( Shaking) pulls HARD left on the HW and now the rears even on smooth ground will make noise if the road dips, No pothole or bump to hear noise. . Just drive

Even IF I get it back today and the shaking is gone I'm at a loss for the noise. Being an older guy the noise is tuff for me to listen to and I DD the car plus ,wife and family in the back will probably make it worse. I may just take it all out and send it back, .
Old 03-14-2014, 01:29 PM
Sylo
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I don't know how related this noise is to what the other guys are getting but is seems similar. Granted these are not BC coils but the setup is pretty much the same.
We can easily simulate the noise by pulling the car up with our hands (holding the wheel well, but the noise will not sound if you push down on the car.
The only thing I can think of is shock hitting itself but I could be wrong.

I took a video of the noise while pulling up on the car
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1vmoug7pdfyflpz/IMG_3603.mp4
Old 03-14-2014, 03:19 PM
rm2342

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
^ Sounds to me like there might be a few things going on which would need to be ruled out. The tires issue and of course the improper install which also contributes.

It is hard to find good labor. If you are saying one side was raised higher than the other, how much attention to detail was taken, know what I mean?

PM me for a reputable shop I used which is on the north shore and can handle jobs like these.
Old 03-14-2014, 03:38 PM
Pete@BC

Originally Posted by Sylo
I don't know how related this noise is to what the other guys are getting but is seems similar. Granted these are not BC coils but the setup is pretty much the same.
We can easily simulate the noise by pulling the car up with our hands (holding the wheel well, but the noise will not sound if you push down on the car.
The only thing I can think of is shock hitting itself but I could be wrong.

I took a video of the noise while pulling up on the car
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1vmoug7pdfyflpz/IMG_3603.mp4
Preload is off. If the spring was preloaded you would not be able to move compress the shock that easy by hand.

You also may want to check that top nut on the shock. It could be backing itself off.

Last edited by Pete@BC; 03-14-2014 at 03:53 PM. Reason: add in
Old 03-14-2014, 04:14 PM
Pete@BC

Ok guys I need to know some locations from those having this issue. Also work conditions in your garage or whatnot.

The test on the car here has shown no evidence of any issues. We purposely left rings unlocked and barely can get any noise on the rear purposely. The noise is so faint it was not able to be picked up on my Iphone video. What I'm trying to see is if we can get approval to go to 2 locations and check your vehicle out. If you haven't bothered going through my list of possible things that can make noise, then you wouldn't be considered. Please understand fellas. If we show up and we tighten a ring or bolt and that fixes your noise, this would be a major waste of our time.
Old 03-14-2014, 04:22 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Ok guys I need to know some locations from those having this issue. Also work conditions in your garage or whatnot.

The test on the car here has shown no evidence of any issues. We purposely left rings unlocked and barely can get any noise on the rear purposely. The noise is so faint it was not able to be picked up on my Iphone video. What I'm trying to see is if we can get approval to go to 2 locations and check your vehicle out. If you haven't bothered going through my list of possible things that can make noise, then you wouldn't be considered. Please understand fellas. If we show up and we tighten a ring or bolt and that fixes your noise, this would be a major waste of our time.
Pete Nor East , Boston MA
Old 03-14-2014, 04:24 PM
ChinkyChoy
Premier Member

thats awesome Pete i appriciate you doing that and traveling. i get the clunking in the rear like these guys are saying i guess i got lucky when i installed mine, but there are some small creeks, but you cant hear em when the radio is playing lol.

@ANMVQ- you mentioned a small amount of shake but with coils everything is stiffer so its possible that the coils amplified the shake. Did you get hub rings?
Old 03-14-2014, 04:53 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Did you get hub rings? I as thinking about that today, They came with the wheels, :/ I think. I bought them from I member here off his car G37 sedan and never thought to look. till an hour ago
Old 03-14-2014, 04:56 PM
ChinkyChoy
Premier Member

i didnt have hub rings until maybe a month ago but the shaking i experienced was due to the wheels being unbalanced. when i did finally get hub rings i did noticed my steering wheel being a little less shakey on the crappy roads. if you do get hub rings just make sure its the right size and they are the metal ones not the plastic ones
Old 03-14-2014, 05:02 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ChinkyChoy
i didnt have hub rings until maybe a month ago but the shaking i experienced was due to the wheels being unbalanced. when i did finally get hub rings i did noticed my steering wheel being a little less shakey on the crappy roads. if you do get hub rings just make sure its the right size and they are the metal ones not the plastic ones
No definitely will be looking . the shop said she was all set. So I'll see what he has to say. Just been stuck at work.

Also if was missing hub rings the Tire place ( Town Fair Tire) would notice since that's all the DO!
Old 03-15-2014, 05:03 PM
NoveL48
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Like i mentioned above im in Vegas and me AND my shop have done everything you have explained... I took a recording of the noise also and posted it to this thread..

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1RSqHEwgkIh <-- Thats the voice memo of the noise

A trip to Vegas wont be bad either huh?

Quick Reply: Just bought BC racing coils