Brakes/Rotor cost

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 12:14 PM
rrao88

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brakes/Rotor cost

I need to get my front brakes replaced and my dealer said they would do that plus resurface my rotors for $315 + tax. This is my first car so I'm not sure if I am getting ripped off by the dealer or this is a reasonable price.

Please help! I could also use any insight on how often/when it is necessary to replace the rotors or just resurface them.

Thanks
Old 01-13-2014, 12:24 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Not too bad for dealership work. The pads are a little over $100 so you're paying about $200 for the labor. Average Infiniti dealership charges about $125/hr for labor so you're paying for about 1.5 hours labor.

You can resurface a rotor until it no longer meets minimum thickness requirements. At least twice, possibly more. You only need to replace it if it is somehow defective or damaged or doesn't have enough thickness to resurface anymore. Many cars use the same set of rotors for the life of the car.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:29 PM
rrao88

Awesome, thanks!

Is it true though that using new pads on old rotors wears away the pads more?
Old 01-13-2014, 12:33 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by rrao88
Awesome, thanks!

Is it true though that using new pads on old rotors wears away the pads more?
Nope, not to my knowledge. You will want to bed in the new pads which is simply a process to transfer some of the new pad material onto the rotor (Google it). But new rotors are absolutely not needed with new pads.
Old 01-13-2014, 01:22 PM
rrao88

Do you have any suggestions for reputable rotors for my 2009 G37s convertible? I am buying my pads and rotors separately and taking them to get installed. Ends up being cheaper to get everything new anyways.
Old 01-13-2014, 02:15 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by rrao88
Do you have any suggestions for reputable rotors for my 2009 G37s convertible? I am buying my pads and rotors separately and taking them to get installed. Ends up being cheaper to get everything new anyways.
I've installed several sets of Centric Premium rotors (on 3 or 4 other cars, not my G) and they seem to work fine as OEM replacements. Got them at rockauto.com because they had the cheapest prices I found anywhere. They have a decent selection of pads too. There's a thread on the forum with a 5% discount code as well.
Old 01-13-2014, 03:44 PM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
^ +1 on Centric premiums from rockauto. did mine a while back, combined with Akebono ProACT pads. Stoptech pads (made by Centric) are also a great combo.

for 99% of the guys on here these rotors are adequate. if a guy was running hard at a track he might want to try something else, definitely different pads and brake fluid, but for most of us they are a great OEM-quality replacement.

FYI to OP - replacing rotors and pads on the fronts is extremely straight forward if you wanted to have a go yourself. nothing more than a jack stand, basic 1/2" ratchet set and a bit of your time is required (probably less than the whole dealership process). turns a $500+ per-axle job at my local dealer into a $150 job and gives you the satisfaction of doing your own work and understanding how cars are engineered and executed.
The following users liked this post:
greggw2gs (06-23-2021)
Old 01-13-2014, 04:55 PM
bschurr
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by canucklehead
FYI to OP - replacing rotors and pads on the fronts is extremely straight forward if you wanted to have a go yourself. nothing more than a jack stand, basic 1/2" ratchet set and a bit of your time is required (probably less than the whole dealership process). turns a $500+ per-axle job at my local dealer into a $150 job and gives you the satisfaction of doing your own work and understanding how cars are engineered and executed.
^+1
Brake replacement = Easy Peasy!
It will actually take you more time to bed in the new pads than it will for you to change them out!

If you are nervous, I am sure there are a ton of youtube videos (BTW - the vert is the same as the coupe) that you can watch to give you some courage. Good luck!
Old 01-13-2014, 05:05 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

I concur that this isn't a particularly difficult DIY with basic tools and a bit of mechanical aptitude. However I have stopped looking down my nose at people who don't. There are a lot of very legitimate reasons why some can't or won't. Lake of time, skill, tools, space, confidence working on a safety system of your car, etc. And there are a surprising number of people who love cars and want to know about them but don't want to do the work themselves.

OP, try to DIY if you are able. You'll feel an amazing sense of accomplishment and manliness if it goes smoothly and you knock it out of the park. No shame if you're not able to.
Old 08-12-2014, 11:06 AM
chris_s

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by bschurr
^+1
Brake replacement = Easy Peasy!
It will actually take you more time to bed in the new pads than it will for you to change them out!

If you are nervous, I am sure there are a ton of youtube videos (BTW - the vert is the same as the coupe) that you can watch to give you some courage. Good luck!
just be sure to pump the brakes A LOT before you start moving after swapping pads. Not sure if you've pumped enough? Pump more!

Having to get a new garage door will eat into the money you saved on the labor