alignment specs

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 10:11 AM
Himalaya
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
alignment specs

I'm lowered on eibach springs and i have front and rear control arms installed.

How are these specs? Should I be expecting uneven wear?

Edit: should the shop be able to adjust the front camber without removing the tire?
Attached Thumbnails alignment specs-imag0830.jpg  
Old 01-11-2014, 11:20 AM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts
Why did the shop not attempt camber adjustments if you have arms??
Old 01-11-2014, 11:28 AM
MyocyteX

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I ran those approximate specs, not quite as much camber, I got about 16,000 out of a set of Falken tires. Definitely experienced uneven wear. On the rears, I had belts showing on the inside, and almost full tread on the outside.
Old 01-11-2014, 11:53 AM
nukee26

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Take it back and get the camber fixed. That's asinine they didn't even touch it if you've got the aftermarket arms installed.

For reference, here was my X on Eibachs with the front and rear arms installed.

Name:  4dbPqyx.jpg
Views: 538
Size:  346.7 KB

Last edited by nukee26; 01-11-2014 at 11:58 AM.
Old 01-11-2014, 12:51 PM
toughcookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Himalaya
I'm lowered on eibach springs and i have front and rear control arms installed.

How are these specs? Should I be expecting uneven wear?

Edit: should the shop be able to adjust the front camber without removing the tire?
Not all alignments include camber adjustments, most are just "tow and go" Usually its something you have to specifically ask for and sometimes there is a extra charge for it

They wont have to remove the tire but it will have to go back up on the alignment rack and go through everything again, they may want to charge you for another alignment (if camber wasn't included). Call and find out if camber is included in their alignments for the price you paid, then go from there.
Old 01-11-2014, 01:44 PM
Gio37
Registered Member

Received 244 Likes on 166 Posts
As a reference Im also lowered on eibach springs & SPC front and rear w/ toe bolt.

Here is my alignment:
Name:  alignment2_zps65cd34cc.jpg
Views: 3355
Size:  745.4 KB

g/l
Old 01-11-2014, 03:31 PM
JMS2000

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
I've never heard of an alignment that doesn't include camber. If it's not adjustable or maxxed out, that's one thing... More likely, the shop wasn't comfortable/knowledegable enough to adjust the aftermarket arms. I usually hand them the instructions for any aftermarket parts they may need to adjust. I'm assuming you have the SPC parts? I believe you can download the instructions for them from their website. Show the shop how to adjust them if you have to, but don't let them just ignore it.
Old 01-11-2014, 04:15 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Some shops especially dealers will have an "alignment check" where they'll just printout your current alignment readings w/out doing any adjustment. An actual alignment would include adjusting all alignment parameters to meet or exceed spec. Sounds like what was done was just the check, or you really got ripped off
A true alignment should be at least $100 and for a lowered car will take some time to get it properly adjusted. And some places will just do a front wheel alignment, you need to request a 4 wheel alignment if it's not previously spelled out.
Old 01-11-2014, 06:29 PM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by toughcookie
Not all alignments include camber adjustments, most are just "tow and go" Usually its something you have to specifically ask for and sometimes there is a extra charge for it

They wont have to remove the tire but it will have to go back up on the alignment rack and go through everything again, they may want to charge you for another alignment (if camber wasn't included). Call and find out if camber is included in their alignments for the price you paid, then go from there.
Thats BS, an alignment includes all angles. Toe and go is thievery.
The following users liked this post:
AnotherVQ (08-22-2022)
Old 01-12-2014, 01:21 AM
Himalaya
Registered Member

I didn't get rear toe bolts installed so they told me they couldn't adjust rear camber anymore and get the toe straight... They said the rear was the best they could do.

I think this makes sense, because my camber is close to nukee26.

As for the front, they told me they would have to charge me half more or double possibly because they would need to do a bunch of extra work like taking off the tire to reach the camber adjustment bolt so i didn't get that done.

my car was pulling and the steering wheel was off center so i needed to get the alignment done. I didn't think -2 degrees of camber would wear the tires much if the toe was straight. Don't bmw's come with -2 stock?
Old 01-12-2014, 09:03 AM
JMS2000

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
That makes more sense. I didn't get the alignment kit at all on my last G, and the camber was maxed in the rear to get the toe back within spec. You should look into getting the toe bolts. As for the front, the camber/caster adjustment is via the top ball mount. The wheel probably does have to be removed to get to it. Regarding price, some shops charge for "performance" alignments. Expect to pay more than a standard alignment since there is more labor involved.
Old 01-12-2014, 11:24 AM
Himalaya
Registered Member

so back to my original question.... will -2 degrees of camber kill my tires if the toe is straight

Any experience people? Theres one person so far who said that its going to kill my tires in under 20k miles. But my friend's bmw has -2 degrees camber stock in the front and -1.5 in the rear and his tires wore out fine. There was some inner tire wear, but the outer tire wear was still there and it was okay.

I'm wondering if its different in our g's
Old 01-12-2014, 11:41 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by Himalaya
so back to my original question.... will -2 degrees of camber kill my tires if the toe is straight

Any experience people? Theres one person so far who said that its going to kill my tires in under 20k miles. But my friend's bmw has -2 degrees camber stock in the front and -1.5 in the rear and his tires wore out fine. There was some inner tire wear, but the outer tire wear was still there and it was okay.

I'm wondering if its different in our g's
-2 w/ toe in spec will still wear the inner tread quicker, if you have tires that you can flip & remount to even the wear that would help to get more tire life but other than that expect to replace tires sooner. It's really what you want to pay~up front or down the road, I prefer up front
Old 01-12-2014, 11:53 PM
toughcookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Ok this is coming from my BF who aligns lowered cars on the regular:

1. You said you have front/rear control arms, can you post pictures or links so I know exactly what you have?

2. The front is not adjustable stock, but your toe is good but at -2 camber you will have uneven wear and I would say closer to 10,000 miles they would either be flipped or you would need new tires

3. There is a rear camber and toe adjustment stock from the factory. Its as easy as twisting one nut. Your rear toe as of now is bad. Yes its within spec but realize that .2 is almost a quarter of a degree off so your rear tires will wear quicker than your fronts.

Next time you get a alignment make sure to tell them you want the toe to be 0.00 and not to "factory specs". Your right rear before was actually perfect before they touched it.

4. That tire shop lied, from factory you should be able to get 2 degrees of adjustment from the stock camber and toe adjustment. I have done multiple 35/37s and gotten -0.5 camber and 0.00 toe on these cars on coils and springs

Once I see what exactly you have on your car I can help you out a little more.
The following 2 users liked this post by toughcookie:
Gio37 (01-13-2014), Hopes&Dreams (04-04-2021)
Old 01-16-2014, 01:31 PM
Himalaya
Registered Member

Update: I got the rear toe bolts installed and got the front camber adjusted. As well as got the alignment done again. They charged me for installing the rear toe bolts and adjusting the front camber. And the toe adjustment they did for free since I already paid for the alignment last week... My alignment sheet is attached.

Anyone know any accurate tools I can buy under 100 to measure my camber? I am planning on getting the firestone lifetime alignment and I will be getting coilovers soon. I don't want to pay everytime to get the front camber adjusted. I know how to do it myself. I just don't have tools to measure the camber and I'd like it to be as accurate as possible.
Attached Thumbnails alignment specs-imag0880.jpg  

Quick Reply: alignment specs