BC Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 12:31 AM
Marionan
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
BC Coilovers

Just lowered the car ob BC coil overs for the X to get rid of that awful wheel gap. I still haven't adjusted the heights yet, so the front is a little too low and the rear is a little too high. So far so good except for the clunking noise in the back right. Every time I go over a bump there is a noticeable clunk noise. Could this be because of the preload setting?
Attached Thumbnails BC Coilovers-20131213_174428.jpg   BC Coilovers-20131214_142541.jpg   BC Coilovers-20131213_163610.jpg  
Old 12-16-2013, 08:00 AM
ClickClackSmack

Received 65 Likes on 29 Posts
If its a clunk going over big bumps you might have too much preload on the spring which is causing it to bottom out. If its more of a rattle/clunk over small/medium bumps then I'd say there is not enough preload on the spring the noise you hear is it bouncing around. I've personally had both issues and after proper adjustment the noise goes away but some noise always seems to come back. At this point I've honestly learned to live with it. BC's aren't the best but its slim pickin's for us x guys.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:09 AM
Darth Kinetic

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Did you need a camber kit? How did the alignment go? What kind and size are your wheels and what are your tires and sizes? I like them
Old 12-16-2013, 08:19 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by ClickClackSmack
If its a clunk going over big bumps you might have too much preload on the spring which is causing it to bottom out. If its more of a rattle/clunk over small/medium bumps then I'd say there is not enough preload on the spring the noise you hear is it bouncing around. I've personally had both issues and after proper adjustment the noise goes away but some noise always seems to come back. At this point I've honestly learned to live with it. BC's aren't the best but its slim pickin's for us x guys.
Noise in the back is pretty common w/ most any coilover that utilizes the OEM separate spring setup. To allow for the wide range of height adjustment the nice thick rubber OEM cone mount is replaced w/ a thin rubber bushing. Replacing an inch thick rubber seat w/ a 3/8" thick piece of rubber will cause more noise in the cabin, no way around this. The "true coilover" setup won't have the same issues but I haven't seen any of those setups available for the X
Like ClickClack mentioned, if the noise is worse coming from one side the spring preload is probably the culprit. I have mine (on a RWD) set to 1/4" preload and haven't had any preload-related issues.

Last edited by blnewt; 12-16-2013 at 09:33 PM.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:40 AM
ClickClackSmack

Received 65 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Kinetic
Did you need a camber kit? How did the alignment go? What kind and size are your wheels and what are your tires and sizes? I like them
I have front and rear camber kits. If you really like my setup Track Star is selling the exact same setup (in silver/machined) https://www.myg37.com/forums/private...new-tires.html

Keep in mind we have sedans so they will fit you're coupe differently. You'd have to look into the proper offsets the coupe to achieve w.e. fitment you are looking for.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:18 AM
Darth Kinetic

No I want black. Whats the manufacturer and model or design #?
Old 12-16-2013, 10:38 AM
Marionan
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Darth Kinetic
Thanks!
I may need a camber kit in the front, but it depends on the height/camber after I'm done adjusting them. I didn't align yet, but still drives perfectly without a new alignment. The wheels are Giovanna Lindos 20x8.5 & 20x10 with BF Goodrich A/S 245/35/20's all around.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:53 AM
Ryno23

Looks good man! Nice to see another X coupe coming together!
Old 12-16-2013, 06:53 PM
yrag

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
the noise in the back is pretty common, not suppose to be very loud though
Old 12-16-2013, 09:21 PM
Marionan
Registered Member

Yeah it's no really all that loud, but it's just a little annoying. I'll adjust the preload etc. this weekend and see if that's a fix

Originally Posted by yrag
the noise in the back is pretty common, not suppose to be very loud though
Old 12-17-2013, 12:57 PM
SwissCheeseHead

Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts
I have Tanabe with no noise whatsoever and it has the separate (OEM) rear setup.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:07 PM
G37xIA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having the same issue with my x coupe where I'm bouncing like crazy over small bumps due to not enough preload. Does anyone know what the correct preload for the rear should be? I had set it to the pretty close to the lowest setting to get max height for winter drive, max height of 26.8 :-( . I'm on 18 wheel A spec winter setup bought from other member.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:53 PM
nukee26

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Pre-load on the rear should be about 1 cm from what I recall.

Marionan, I had that same clunking issue with 3 different shock absorbers from BC. I know coilovers will inherently be noisier, but I was less than satisfied with the BC set.
Old 12-18-2013, 12:01 PM
evil-G-nius
Registered Member

Received 395 Likes on 238 Posts
Are the BC's sleeve type coils? I had a set of Skunk2 sleeves on my old Galant and the noise was there as well..think it is just a the type of coil that produces that noise. Like they said not much you can do about it. It did get annoying enough for me to swap to springs. I am still on the fence of what to do with my coupe so I am glad all these coil and spring threads are popping up so I can see what issues people are running into. Good luck though, car looks pimp!
Old 12-18-2013, 09:29 PM
Marionan
Registered Member

Sleeve type coils? The shock and spring are separate from each other in the rear, so I think that's what you mean. In my opinion, I think that the spring itself is set too high, and is bearing all the weight causing the shock to bounce around when going over bumps (weight being transferred/moved). Anyone think this is right?

Oh and one more thing... I've been having trouble adjusting the preload in the rear, since the directions are awful from BC; could someone just advise me how to adjust the rear preload?? Thanks!

Originally Posted by evil-G-nius
Are the BC's sleeve type coils? I had a set of Skunk2 sleeves on my old Galant and the noise was there as well..think it is just a the type of coil that produces that noise. Like they said not much you can do about it. It did get annoying enough for me to swap to springs. I am still on the fence of what to do with my coupe so I am glad all these coil and spring threads are popping up so I can see what issues people are running into. Good luck though, car looks pimp!

Quick Reply: BC Coilovers