BC Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 09:58 PM
Darth Kinetic

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by SwissCheeseHead
I have Tanabe with no noise whatsoever and it has the separate (OEM) rear setup.
Model number? I dont see any coilovers charted for a 2012 X coupe on their website
Old 12-18-2013, 10:15 PM
nukee26

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Marionan
Sleeve type coils? The shock and spring are separate from each other in the rear, so I think that's what you mean. In my opinion, I think that the spring itself is set too high, and is bearing all the weight causing the shock to bounce around when going over bumps (weight being transferred/moved). Anyone think this is right?

Oh and one more thing... I've been having trouble adjusting the preload in the rear, since the directions are awful from BC; could someone just advise me how to adjust the rear preload?? Thanks!
Disconnect the shock absorber at the bottom. Use a floor jack to raise the spring bucket until the spring starts to actually push back against the jack, compress it another centimeter or so. Adjust the shock absorber so you can re-bolt it without having to raise/lower the spring bucket.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:47 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,942 Likes on 4,175 Posts
In my opinion, I think that the spring itself is set too high, and is bearing all the weight causing the shock to bounce around when going over bumps (weight being transferred/moved). Anyone think this is right?
The spring will bear all the weight, the shock doesn't carry a load, it just resists & absorbs shock. You just want to preload the spring from a 1/4" up to a centimeter so when the spring is fully released it still has enough load on it to stay intact in the spring bucket and upper perch.
Just be sure when you preload the car is fully elevated and the spring bucket is under no load prior to jacking the spring.
Old 12-19-2013, 12:11 AM
Marionan
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Thanks, but I got that part. The piece in question is the rings. Do I need to turn only the larger bottom ring with the spanner or do I need to undo the top smaller one as well?

Thanks!

Originally Posted by nukee26
Disconnect the shock absorber at the bottom. Use a floor jack to raise the spring bucket until the spring starts to actually push back against the jack, compress it another centimeter or so. Adjust the shock absorber so you can re-bolt it without having to raise/lower the spring bucket.
Old 12-19-2013, 11:59 AM
nukee26

Thanks, but I got that part. The piece in question is the rings. Do I need to turn only the larger bottom ring with the spanner or do I need to undo the top smaller one as well?

Thanks!
The smaller ring is the locking ring, so yes loosen that one up. Then loosen the larger one and you'll be able to adjust the bottom mount very easily.
Old 01-12-2014, 03:24 PM
techG37elec

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
I too have the BC coil overs and can't get rid of the rattling noise in the right rear. I increased the spring tension on that side only, temporarily, to more than what it should be and it still makes noise. Funny that the left side rear is totally quiet. I believe the noise is from the upper part of the spring not being of the same diameter as the nylon bushing that the spring rides on..... but why the left side is quiet? I don't know.

The noise, while not loud, is extremely annoying. I have been playing with this off and on for more than a month. I have plenty of adjustment left either way, high or low, so I'm right in the middle with a 26" height to fender.... not slammed or anything. The other thing I noticed is that the preload on the right side ends up being higher although I have the exact same measurements from one side to the other as far as the shock length and the spring adjuster goes.... so I would expect the OTHER side to make noise if anything. Weird.

Anyone ever found a way to eliminate this? otherwise they are coming off. Thanks.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:41 PM
nukee26

Originally Posted by techG37elec
I too have the BC coil overs and can't get rid of the rattling noise in the right rear. I increased the spring tension on that side only, temporarily, to more than what it should be and it still makes noise. Funny that the left side rear is totally quiet. I believe the noise is from the upper part of the spring not being of the same diameter as the nylon bushing that the spring rides on..... but why the left side is quiet? I don't know.

The noise, while not loud, is extremely annoying. I have been playing with this off and on for more than a month. I have plenty of adjustment left either way, high or low, so I'm right in the middle with a 26" height to fender.... not slammed or anything. The other thing I noticed is that the preload on the right side ends up being higher although I have the exact same measurements from one side to the other as far as the shock length and the spring adjuster goes.... so I would expect the OTHER side to make noise if anything. Weird.

Anyone ever found a way to eliminate this? otherwise they are coming off. Thanks.
I had the same issue in the exact same corner... with 3 different shock absorbers from them (including a blown one). I learned the hard way if you buy cheap, you get cheap. They were an incredibly helpful company, but the product is crap if you ask me. I wish I had just stuck with Eibach springs. If only you could get KWs for the X coupe.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:26 AM
techG37elec

Originally Posted by nukee26
I had the same issue in the exact same corner... with 3 different shock absorbers from them (including a blown one). I learned the hard way if you buy cheap, you get cheap. They were an incredibly helpful company, but the product is crap if you ask me. I wish I had just stuck with Eibach springs. If only you could get KWs for the X coupe.
Tx for replying nukee.... I figured so much. Not sure why its only that side... BUT... the bucket in the frame that holds the top of the spring is different from one on drivers side. One is much largwr in the amount of area that is available for spring to ride in and the small sheet metal tabs that held the oem pillow mount arent really designed to hold the bc spring holder... imho.

Im going to try letting it settle in but will call Lance to see if he can shed light. Sorry you went through so much trouble. ... dont know if I can b that patient. We will see. Tx again.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:32 AM
techG37elec

So.... did the replacement parts fix your issue ultimately?
Old 01-19-2014, 10:55 AM
1cleanG
NextLevel Performance

Received 210 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by techG37elec
So.... did the replacement parts fix your issue ultimately?
hmmm, this actually is the first I've heard of/seen any issues w/ noises coming from BC's. Everyone on here keeps calling them "cheap"??? How is a 1k coilover setup cheap? yes its less then the KW level or higher end coils, but by all means BC is a quality product for daily driving and is NOT CHEAP. I've had many people purchase these coils, and on the370.com there are 100's of Z's that run BCs with no complaints/issues.

Now, the issue at hand. Have you attempted completely remove the coil that is causing the issue and reinstalling it? Curious if its something within the install that is causing the issue, any loose nut/bolt that he strut is flexing. Also, what are your dampening settings?