Please Clarify: CUSCO vs GTSPEC Chassis Braces

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 11:46 AM
JMS2000

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Question Please Clarify: CUSCO vs GTSPEC Chassis Braces

Sorry if this was asked before, but I only started researching chassis braces and I couldn't find this information... Please confirm/refute the following points:

1. The CUSCO Front Power Brace is analogous to the GTSPEC Front Subframe Tie Brace, i.e. installed in the same location. If so, which is the "better" brace?
  2. The CUSCO Rear Power Brace is analogous to the GTSPEC Rear Lower Lateral Reinforcement Brace (M Shape), i.e. installed in the same location. If so, which is the "better" brace?
  3. GTSPEC does not offer a counterpart brace to the CUSCO Rear Bulk Power Brace (trunk brace).
  4. CUSCO does not offer counterpart braces to the GTSPEC 2-Point Subframe Reinforcement Brace, the 4-Point Ladder Brace, the 6-Point Rear Subframe Brace, or the Rear Lower Tie Brace.
  5. All GTSPEC chassis braces can be installed at once.
Also, regarding the Rear Lower Tie Brace... it seems its purpose is to tie the rear toe bolts together to add rigidity. Is it compatible with aftermarket toe bolts such as SPC? And how is it possible to tie them? Don't the toe bolts' position/distance relative to each other vary for wheel alignment purposes? It looks like the tie brace is a solid piece and not adjustable.

Thanks.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:35 AM
JMS2000

Alright, I did some more searching yesterday, and for those interested...

• I found Ivoidwarranties' car with all the GTSPEC undercarriage braces installed, so that answers question #5. Great username btw.
  • I found the instructions for the trunk bulk brace and it requires cutting the interior trunk trim, so I have no more interest in this part. Disregard question #3.
  • It looks like the GTSPEC set of braces is much more comprehensive than CUSCO's. I did not find counterpart braces made by CUSCO, so that answers question #4.
  • I'm still not sure about the first two questions though. If they are the same, it would probably be pointless to install the two CUSCO braces mixed with the rest from GTSPEC. I'd rather just be uniform, unless the CUSCO braces are that much better, or if they can be all be installed at once (CUSCO and the full set of GTSPEC). But I'm not sure, so my first two questions still stand.
  • I submitted my final question regarding the rear lower toe brace to GTSPEC and I am waiting for a response. I will post the information here for future reference.
Old 10-18-2013, 12:25 PM
hinomura

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
If you really want to get a good deal on GTSpec stuff, the best place I found is Autoplicity.com | Discount Performance and OEM Auto Parts, 100% In Stock. For some reason if you search by name, none of the parts show up. But if you search their website by the GTSpec part# they are all listed there for usually $20-$40 off other website's prices. At least they used to be when I purchased a bunch of stuff from them.
Old 10-18-2013, 02:18 PM
WPPJR30

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
I have some [powdercoated] GT Spec braces for sale if you're interested. There is a thread in the classifieds.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:34 AM
JMS2000

Thanks for the info guys, but this wasn't really a WTB thread. I'm still just researching for now. I need a few questions answered in order to decide what to buy, before I start to look where to buy. I emailed GTSPEC and posted to other threads here without much luck. If you can answer my questions... appreciate it!

https://www.myg37.com/forums/brakes-...need-info.html
https://www.myg37.com/forums/brakes-...e-brace-2.html

Damn, I'm cross-posting left and right! lol sorry.

Edit: Just to clarify, I am focusing on GTSPEC braces only, nevermind the questions about CUSCO. I need to know about compatibility of the lower lateral M brace with IPL exhaust, lower tie brace compatibility with SPC and installation in general regarding toe bolts, and general installation details of all braces (any drilling/modification required). Thanks.

Last edited by JMS2000; 10-21-2013 at 09:41 AM.
Old 10-23-2013, 02:44 PM
JMS2000

Unhappy Sigh, since no one knows or cares enough to help...

I spoke with a rep from GTSPEC. For those interested and for future reference, I learned the following:
  • There are no compatibility issues with the GTSPEC braces and the IPL, specifically, the rear lower lateral M brace and the IPL true-dual exhaust.
  • There is no compatibility issue with the rear lower tie brace and the aftermarket SPC toe bolts. Additionally, toe-alignment range is not compromised because the slots on the brace are indeed elongated.
  • The braces are completely bolt-on and can all be installed at once with no issues or drilling/modification required.

Happy modding.
Old 07-26-2015, 02:28 PM
VIVID
Pyroclastic Flow

Received 358 Likes on 277 Posts
Thread rising from the dust

I am going to have an Ingen long tube CAI installed. I was interested in Cosco vs. GT-Spec. Is is a pain in the rear to take then off so you can monkey around in the engine bay?

Also, has anyone thought about the quick release option for the strut brace? Have you installed one?

From a distributor: 'A must for any Cusco strut brace that is regularly removed so that you can work on the engine. This quick release clamp suits all Cusco Type-OS strut tower braces.' Part #: CUS 00B 540 C. It's made by Cusco.

Or in Rochester's build thread he mentions he might get a gift of a Cusco strut brace. But he ended up with a GT-SPEC, I believe.

Is that a better way to go? They are comparably priced.

Finally, is this an appearance mod or a performance mod...or both?

Sean
Old 07-26-2015, 04:45 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,727 Likes on 3,532 Posts
Quick release for the Cusco? That's first I've heard of it.

The GT-Spec bar is easy enough to bolt on/off. I carry a small wrench and allen-key in my glove box, specifically because of the tower brace. And for re-mounting, just fold over a microfiber towel twice for thickness, and lay the bar flat on the towel over the engine cover, then bolt down the corner pins. You get the hang of it easily enough... it's not rocket science.

However, a quick-release sure would be nice.

It's more of an appearance mod than a performance mod, IMO... but it most certainly is both. That said, as soon as you install aftermarket swaybars, you'll probably not know whether or not the tower brace is installed.
The following users liked this post:
VIVID (07-26-2015)
Old 07-27-2015, 11:24 AM
VIVID
Pyroclastic Flow

Received 358 Likes on 277 Posts
Cusco Update

I sent two Cusco distributers/dealers this question: , "Will this fit over an Ingen long tube cai? I have had some feedback on forums that it might rub the matting on the underside of the hood."

The Cusco distros/dealers responded today with:"Yes, this is a tight fit for your application." And: "It's tight, but with enough adjustment, you can make it clear."

So I will be looking elsewhere. Don't want any probs with a frustrating fitment. If I can't find that (perhaps GT-Spec?), then oh well...the sways and other susp mods have things pretty well battened down. But as I have said before: 'I'm like a magpie: I'm attracted to shiny bits'. I guess it's pretty much an appearance mod at this point.

Sean