Help Choosing Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 06:41 PM
teonguyen

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Choosing Coilovers

I am sorry if this question has been asked before and I also did research and read many reviews on coilovers. Most ppl recommend KW3 but that is something out of my budget. I am aiming to 3 setups Tanabe sustec pro, BC, and Stance. I am currently on Eibach (0 complaint) just wanting to go a bit lower and still maintain the comfort driving and better handling. So far I found ppl recommend Tanabe for what i am looking for , but I am afraid it will go bad as some members report the struts leak, blow-out and their customer service is horrible to deal with, they find all excuses not to warranty their products

What do you suspension guru think about BC and Stance? I know these 2 have adjustable damping..and Tanabe is not (not a big deal to me since i dont track and drive the car about 200 miles/wk.)

My preference is Tanabe>Stance>BC (got a quote $845 for Tanabe , $940 for BC, havent asked for Stance but i guess $1100-1200) ... Thanks all
Old 09-20-2013, 08:24 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Stance seem to be going for about $1050 and would be my choice if I needed to replace my coilovers, the fact they come w/ Swift springs is a very big plus, especially at that price point. They're also a true coilover so you'll have more precise adjustment compared to the OEM separate spring setup. Might shoot a PM to Need4Speed, they're getting ready for a suspension blowout sale, plus he's running the Stance SS coilovers on his coupe and really likes them. Otherwise THMotorsports has them for a good price.
The following users liked this post:
teonguyen (09-20-2013)
Old 09-20-2013, 08:45 PM
teonguyen

Originally Posted by blnewt
Stance seem to be going for about $1050 and would be my choice if I needed to replace my coilovers, the fact they come w/ Swift springs is a very big plus, especially at that price point. They're also a true coilover so you'll have more precise adjustment compared to the OEM separate spring setup. Might shoot a PM to Need4Speed, they're getting ready for a suspension blowout sale, plus he's running the Stance SS coilovers on his coupe and really likes them. Otherwise THMotorsports has them for a good price.
I looked around and seems like ppl are happy with Stance plus they look very well built. If the difference is only $200 i think i should save to get the Stance setup rather than Tanabe...
Old 09-20-2013, 09:33 PM
mj_39

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts
My choice would be stance, you have the option of going true or oem style. Stance are a very well built coilover for the money. I was in the same situation about a month back stance vs BC. Went with stance oem style.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:50 PM
rks
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
KW v1 allow you to control ride height but are set at the factory for damping / rebound. I believe they are about $1K.

Edit: I'm sorry for the mis-information. Even the v1 are well over $1600.

Last edited by rks; 09-20-2013 at 11:45 PM.
teonguyen (09-20-2013)
Old 09-20-2013, 10:42 PM
teonguyen

Originally Posted by mj_39
My choice would be stance, you have the option of going true or oem style. Stance are a very well built coilover for the money. I was in the same situation about a month back stance vs BC. Went with stance oem style.
I heard oem and true style .. Can you elaborate what is the difference
Old 09-20-2013, 11:15 PM
mj_39

Oem set up = shock and spring separate. This is how our cars come factory

True = shock and spring together.

This only applies for the rear of our cars, front setup is already true style.
Old 09-20-2013, 11:25 PM
teonguyen

Oem set up = shock and spring separate. This is how our cars come factory

True = shock and spring together.

This only applies for the rear of our cars, front setup is already true style.
Thank for the info provided, I did install Eibach myself and saw the rear springs and struts are separated. what if we go with true style setup then there are no rear springs installed??
Old 09-21-2013, 12:00 AM
mj_39

Exactly the true style eliminates the need for the spring in the spring bucket as now the coilover is all one piece (spring and shock together)
teonguyen (09-21-2013)
Old 09-21-2013, 12:31 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

There are pros & cons for the oem vs. "true" coilover, the impact zone is very concentrated w/ the true coilover which the G wasn't designed for. The OEM setup has most of the impact centered on the hefty upper spring pad. I haven't read of any serious consequences but it's brought up quite often so there must be some history of associated issues.
A couple pros w/ the true coilover is the adjustment and overall performance is easier to dial in since it's one integrated unit. Another plus is you can utilize toe arms which essentially replace the lower control arm (spring bucket) and give a wider range of toe adjustment w/ a better lock out for "locked-in" toe settings.
The Stance website doesn't list the part #s just has two listings for the 370z (which is the same application). If anyone here has the two separate part #s that would be helpful. The only one I found is~Stance SS coilovers ST-Z34-SSO (I assume this is the "true" coilover set).

BTW, if you did the Eibach install you'll love the coilover install, much easier, but just be sure to preload the springs as per the instructions prior to adjusting the rear shocks (if it's the OEM style), the fronts & the rears (if it's the true coilover) should be preloaded already, but check the install instructions just to be sure.
Old 09-21-2013, 12:40 AM
teonguyen

Originally Posted by rks
KW v1 allow you to control ride height but are set at the factory for damping / rebound. I believe they are about $1K.

Edit: I'm sorry for the mis-information. Even the v1 are well over $1600.
$1600, I think some vendors here can do KW V3 for $1800-$2000. KW looks awesome i wish i just had a lot more cash. Are you running one?
Old 09-21-2013, 12:43 AM
teonguyen

Exactly the true style eliminates the need for the spring in the spring bucket as now the coilover is all one piece (spring and shock together)
How do you like your set up now ? Are they a lot or just slightly stiffer than stock? Thanks
Old 09-21-2013, 12:49 AM
teonguyen

Originally Posted by blnewt
There are pros & cons for the oem vs. "true" coilover, the impact zone is very concentrated w/ the true coilover which the G wasn't designed for. The OEM setup has most of the impact centered on the hefty upper spring pad. I haven't read of any serious consequences but it's brought up quite often so there must be some history of associated issues.
A couple pros w/ the true coilover is the adjustment and overall performance is easier to dial in since it's one integrated unit. Another plus is you can utilize toe arms which essentially replace the lower control arm (spring bucket) and give a wider range of toe adjustment w/ a better lock out for "locked-in" toe settings.
The Stance website doesn't list the part #s just has two listings for the 370z (which is the same application). If anyone here has the two separate part #s that would be helpful. The only one I found is~Stance SS coilovers ST-Z34-SSO (I assume this is the "true" coilover set).

BTW, if you did the Eibach install you'll love the coilover install, much easier, but just be sure to preload the springs as per the instructions prior to adjusting the rear shocks (if it's the OEM style), the fronts & the rears (if it's the true coilover) should be preloaded already, but check the install instructions just to be sure.
Thanks blnewt, just curious that are you running any spacers on your car? Reason I ask is I currently have 15 F and 20R If i drop to 251/2 or 26 ground to fender (I think i saw somewhere that how low you drop your car too) will it rub? I m currently running stock tires for now 225/45/19 and 245/40/19) but will go 245/275.....
Old 09-21-2013, 02:12 AM
mj_39

Originally Posted by teonguyen
How do you like your set up now ? Are they a lot or just slightly stiffer than stock? Thanks
Awaiting install, I'm sure I'm going to love them as most do
teonguyen (09-21-2013)
Old 09-21-2013, 08:53 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by teonguyen
Thanks blnewt, just curious that are you running any spacers on your car? Reason I ask is I currently have 15 F and 20R If i drop to 251/2 or 26 ground to fender (I think i saw somewhere that how low you drop your car too) will it rub? I m currently running stock tires for now 225/45/19 and 245/40/19) but will go 245/275.....
I was at 25.75" when I was running B&G lowering springs, that was too low for my daily drives so w/ my coilovers I set them at 26.25" at all 4 corners and am much happier.

Keep in mind as you go lower the wheels tuck further in so you won't have any clearance issues w/ your spacers if you go lower. When you go 245/275 you may not need the spacers or possibly just the 15mm. Without knowing your whole setup it's hard to say. BTW, I don't run spacers I have 8.5" +40 front on 245/35/20 and 10" +45 rear on 295/30/20, rears are flush front about 8mm inside (didn't want any rubbing issues on that non-rolled front edge).
teonguyen (09-21-2013)

Quick Reply: Help Choosing Coilovers