Help Choosing Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 11:19 PM
teonguyen

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
Sorry to hear you're having so much trouble getting the height set, sounds like your rear is about like mine, even at max height it's still pretty low. I think if I went as high as it will safely go I'd be about 26.5 to the fenders, I have mine at 26.25" all around. Coilovers shouldn't settle too much unless something wasn't seating properly. About all I can say is be sure all your adjusting nuts are fully locked down and tight and don't do any test driving unless everything is torqued to spec. Hopefully there's nothing stripped in your front adjusting threads causing the height to shift.
Good Luck and post pics if you continue running into trouble.
Be really careful if you're cruising under 26" in front, lots of things can get in your way
Also don't drive it much until you get it aligned
Thanks blnewt, I finally had the height adjustment figured it out. You were right thought it is hardly to get it correct the first time. It drove me insane when I had to remove wheels , bolts...etc ..I did like a thousand times on Sat and could not get it right. Did dome research last night and found out there is a way to adjust height without messing the preload and removing anything except the wheels. Still Took me 4 hours this morning to get everything. It was scary to cruise around that low also the alignment was way way out of specs. Steering wheel was off, handling was horrible. Driving 5 miles to the alignment shop this morning was the scariest experience... I was going 10-15 mph and ppl were looking at me like "wth"

After alignment and cruising 80 miles around towns, I have to say I love this setup, the handling and drive comfort (8 clicks from stiff) Handling is awesome but a bit soft and bouncy;however, it is way better than Eibach. When I was on Eibach , it was great on the smooth roads but felt like everything was gonna fall apart on the bumpy roads.

Car current sits 26.5 fronts and 26.8 rears..will lower the rear 1/4" more and adjust the rear damping up 1 or 2 clicks. Thinking about installing the rear extenders to avoid removing the whole struts just to set the damper...

Overall I am really happy with this C.O and should have gone with it in the first place to save time and money...
Old 10-06-2013, 11:36 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by teonguyen
Thanks blnewt, I finally had the height adjustment figured it out. You were right thought it is hardly to get it correct the first time. It drove me insane when I had to remove wheels , bolts...etc ..I did like a thousand times on Sat and could not get it right. Did dome research last night and found out there is a way to adjust height without messing the preload and removing anything except the wheels. Still Took me 4 hours this morning to get everything. It was scary to cruise around that low also the alignment was way way out of specs. Steering wheel was off, handling was horrible. Driving 5 miles to the alignment shop this morning was the scariest experience... I was going 10-15 mph and ppl were looking at me like "wth"

After alignment and cruising 80 miles around towns, I have to say I love this setup, the handling and drive comfort (8 clicks from stiff) Handling is awesome but a bit soft and bouncy;however, it is way better than Eibach. When I was on Eibach , it was great on the smooth roads but felt like everything was gonna fall apart on the bumpy roads.

Car current sits 26.5 fronts and 26.8 rears..will lower the rear 1/4" more and adjust the rear damping up 1 or 2 clicks. Thinking about installing the rear extenders to avoid removing the whole struts just to set the damper...

Overall I am really happy with this C.O and should have gone with it in the first place to save time and money...
Nice that you finally got it corrected, if you feel that its' floaty/bouncy just a few clicks firmer should get you the perfect feel. Like I said, I'm about a third of the way up the scale and found it perfect, probably similar w/ your setup. Were you able to get your alignment in spec?
Old 10-07-2013, 09:47 AM
teonguyen

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Yes , everything was well back to specs. Its worth to elongate the slots for toe bolts and it wasn't that hard. I used the bit for cutting steel and aluminum (dremel #9903) took about 20-25 mins for all four.
Would you mind if you could tell me what damping setting do you have for front and rear? I will adjust the rear this weekend ..

Here the pic for specs

Last edited by teonguyen; 10-07-2013 at 11:10 PM.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:24 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by teonguyen
Yes , everything was well back to specs. Its worth to elongate the slots for toe bolts and it wasn't that hard. I used the bit for cutting steel and aluminum (dremel #9903) took about 20-25 min for all four.
Would you mind if you could tell me what damping setting do you have for front and rear? I will adjust the rear this weekend ..

Here the pic for specs
Those are some excellent alignment readings, some of the best I've seen (mine are real close to that as well).
My coilovers have a 35 point range from 0 being just the springs and 35 is full damping stiffness. I'm at 12, so depending on your range I'd shoot for a third of the way up from zero. Be sure to go all the way firm and all the way back to zero before setting your stiffness. Glad you had better luck than I did w/ that Dremel bit, mine was toast after one hole .
The following users liked this post:
teonguyen (10-07-2013)
Old 01-01-2014, 10:35 PM
eastwick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ive been reading the post and it been a great help. Im looking to get stance as well and reading all these posts has made my decision that much easier.
Old 01-01-2014, 11:05 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by eastwick
Ive been reading the post and it been a great help. Im looking to get stance as well and reading all these posts has made my decision that much easier.
Official "welcome to the site" since it's your first post
Look forward to hearing your review of the coils, be sure to get camber/toe kits to go w/ the coilovers.
The following users liked this post:
SevenSpeedSean (01-28-2014)
Old 01-02-2014, 09:08 PM
eastwick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the welcome. Im on H&R now but my shocks are done so im looking for coilovers. I will keep you guys posted. Hope to see more pictures with the stance