G37X Front Suspension Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 10:01 PM
jason05gt
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
G37X Front Suspension Rattle

Hi,
I am hearing a slight rattle from the left front suspension of my 2009 G37X Sedan. The rattle is more prominent at lower speeds with slight bumps in the road.

I took the car to the dealer and the tech that drove with me said he could slightly hear it and that it sounds like normal suspension noise. I drove two separate G37X loaner cars and neither had the suspension front rattle present. The tech said that he looked over the front suspension and everything appeared to be normal.

Has anyone had a similar issue and if so what was the resolution?

Thanks!

Jason
Old 09-18-2013, 10:06 PM
NJ Torque
Registered Member

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
Brake splash sheilds?
Old 09-18-2013, 10:09 PM
jason05gt
Registered Member

Originally Posted by NJ Torque
Brake splash sheilds?
I did a search and found a video on here which showed that. The shields seem pretty tight. I guess I can jack the car up and put it on jackstand to see if that's the issue.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:16 AM
jason05gt
Registered Member

Originally Posted by NJ Torque
Brake splash sheilds?
I went out there and double checked the splash shield on the driver side. The top doesn’t make noise, but the bottom (6 o’clock) makes a slight popping noise with light pressure. I think this is the issue. What does your dealer typically do to fix this?
Old 09-19-2013, 10:56 AM
FlyLopa

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I had that when i had my i30 it was common that the axles went quick do you hear it in turns?
Old 09-19-2013, 10:29 PM
NJ Torque
Registered Member

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by jason05gt
I went out there and double checked the splash shield on the driver side. The top doesn’t make noise, but the bottom (6 o’clock) makes a slight popping noise with light pressure. I think this is the issue. What does your dealer typically do to fix this?

Push the back with a screwdriver/extention to "adjust" them.
Old 09-20-2013, 07:15 PM
michg37

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
If thd brake shield doesn't fix it see if you can recreate it with the car stopped. I had the same issue on a friends 09 g37x but I could hear it when I rocked the car hard from left to right. I had a passenger side end link go bad, I could feel the slight movement when I was holding it if someone rocked the car for me. I couldn't feel any play in it if the car wasn't rocking. After I took it off I could feel that one of the two ball joints didn't have smooth movement. Replaced both links to be safe, problem gone.
Old 09-22-2013, 05:14 PM
SlimTV
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
^^ what michg37 said. I have similar noise coming fom the driver side front suspension on my awd sedan xS. I thought it was a broken motor mount or my intakes knocking. I stuffed rags under my intake tubing (Stillen) thinking that was the culprit, but the noise was still there. I took it to the dealer (Infiniti of Norwood) a few months back and asked them to check my suspension including tie rods and ball joints. They couldnt find anything loose or wrong, they even brought me out back while my sedan was on their lift and they wiggled the tie rods and ball joints/control arms to show me it was all solid. I left upset with less confidence in that dealership, and dealt with the noise all summer long fearful that why wheel will fly off. Recently my handling got a bit sloppy/loose and the noise started increasing, along with some steering pull to one side. I took it to my local garage over the weekend, and within 2 minutes of it being on a lift, the mechanic who speaks limited english showed me its coming from a worn driver side swaybar end link. He said "my f-r-r-reng lookie heah es el link" and he banged on the swaybar end with his open palm and I heard that irritating clunk/rattle thats been annoying the hell outta me for so long. I bought it from the dealer for like $46 since I chose to go oem, but you can get them on Rockauto.com for like $10-$45 each depending on brand & quality. But if you have a warranty, this should be covered. I spoke to a mechanic out in the lot at the dealer after my diagnosis and he spoke of the reliability of the newer G sedans vs the older models, and said the swaybar link is a common issue, but overall the G37's are very solid and reliable cars. After that, I browsed around looking at the Q50's (I wasnt too impressed) and the Qx70's. Then I went back inside and grabbed 3 danishes, a soda, a bottled water and a couple granola bars for my troubles. BTW if your trying to decide if to replace both or just the faulty one, the mechanic suggested I just replace the bad one, and wait until the other one goes to replace it since Im paying out of pocket and my mileage is relatively low. But the correct way to do things is to replace in pairs just like any other suspension piece.

Last edited by SlimTV; 09-22-2013 at 05:25 PM.
Old 09-23-2013, 12:48 PM
michg37

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Like Slim said you don't need to change both if you know only one is bad and figure out which it is. The bad one sounded less like a clunk and more like a rattle which made it harder to find. I kept the drivers side one since it is still good as a spare. If you feel ambitious you can easily just take them off to check them...it was obvious in the one that went bad, it wasn't smooth moving like the other. I could also feel some play in it.