Eibach springs....you DO need front camber kit!

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 05:11 PM
JohnnyD

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by mindonmatter
LOL, camber isn't rocket science. I would have to be pretty stupid to confuse camber with toe. Not only does the tread wear clearly indicate that camber is out, the negative camber is clearly visible to the naked eye. Are you suggesting that TOE would be changed by lowering?? Yeah, okay.
So you think lowering a car only changes the camber??? LOL yeah, ok.
Nobody said you had camber and toe confused. Just most people who lower their car and ruin their tires think it's camber automatically. Yes you may be able to see your negative camber, but toe is the tire slayer. Toe determines how much wear. Camber determines where it happens.

Yeah, just ignore physics. A good mechanic will just bend it into alignment. Don't worry that there is no camber adjustment, lol.

Enjoy guys. I didn't really mean for this to be some sort of debate. To me, it's not debatable. Just a fair warning. Take it or leave it. Peace.
Seems like you have the wrong attitude towards people trying to help you....
Old 09-19-2013, 05:56 PM
acm25
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The stock front suspension has no camber adjustment, so if you're unlucky and don't meet spec after installing springs, then if there isn't anything a "good" mechanic can do about it without a camber kit installed.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:27 PM
CodeG

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
^^ There is way to adjust camber, not easy but doable. Slack from mounting points allow camber or even caster adjustment by pushing or pulling then tighten these mounting point. It involved lots of muscles and cussing, but can be done.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:33 AM
ChillySoft
Registered Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
First and foremost, THERE IS NO CAMBER ADJUSTMENT from the factory on G's. The Camber is set at -.50 from factory. So If you lower your car and inch now, your camber is going to be around -1.5 (leaning inward) causing more wear on the inside.

Can you lower your car without a camber kit? ABSOLUTLY!

IS it going to be right? HELL NO!

Just because you can steer a car with your feet, doesn't make it a good idea.

There is so much half assed misinformed people directions given here it is silly.

If you want factory tire wear you MUST have a camber kit. If you want better cornering and more tire wear DON'T do a camber kit.

Toe will effect tire wear slightly, but what is being described here is a camber adjustment that you cant make without adjustable A Arms.

Feel free to click the link below and learn more:
Let me google that for you
Old 09-20-2013, 02:21 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,942 Likes on 4,175 Posts
Originally Posted by ChillySoft
First and foremost, THERE IS NO CAMBER ADJUSTMENT from the factory on G's. The Camber is set at -.50 from factory. So If you lower your car and inch now, your camber is going to be around -1.5 (leaning inward) causing more wear on the inside.

There is so much half assed misinformed people directions given here it is silly.

If you want factory tire wear you MUST have a camber kit. If you want better cornering and more tire wear DON'T do a camber kit.

Toe will effect tire wear slightly, but what is being described here is a camber adjustment that you cant make without adjustable A Arms.

Good post, except for the "toe will effect tire wear slightly", toe will effect tire wear greatly if it's out of spec, much worse than having your camber out by a bit. But otherwise agree w/ what you said about no front camber adjustment and some general misinformation. The rear is slightly adjustable, but the concentric slot is so small that the adjustment is more like a tweak, same can be said for the rear toe adjustment range
Old 09-20-2013, 02:51 PM
quakerroatmeal
Registered Member

Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts
Hello blnewt,
Thanks for the reply. I have tried finding my current alignment sheet, but no where to be found. I remember them telling me that everything was in spec except camber, which couldn't be adjusted. I can't remember if they even had to adjust the toe, but I don't know why they would.

It's a possibility that toe has fallen out of specs. That would be strange, but certainly possible. However, as you said, I can clearly see that camber is an issue.

Thanks.
So did they give you an alignment sheet that you lost? Did you look over the sheet? You stated that you just remember them "telling" you that everything was in spec except camber..but you don't even remember if they even had adjusted the toe. You don't know why they would? Because toe gets knocked off as soon as you lower the vehicle.

Toe is far more critical than camber and will have a greater effect on the tire if it's off.

Quoted from tirerack.com

"Additionally the vehicle's toe is one of the most critical alignment settings relative to tire wear. A toe setting that is just a little off its appropriate setting can make a huge difference in their wear. Consider that if the toe setting is just 1/16-inch off of its appropriate setting, each tire on that axle will scrub almost seven feet sideways every mile! Extend it out and you'll discover that rather than running parallel to each other, the front tires will scrub over 1/4-mile sideways during every 100 miles of driving! Incorrect toe will rob you of tire life."
The following 4 users liked this post by quakerroatmeal:
blnewt (09-20-2013), Ey3CoNz2 (03-17-2016), Gio37 (09-20-2013), teonguyen (09-21-2013)
Old 09-20-2013, 07:06 PM
ChillySoft
Registered Member

I agree with both posters on their view of importance of toe, the adjustment is there for a reason. But, in the description of the issue he is having, with a lowered car and inside tire wear, adjusting the camber is going to.resolve his ongoing issue. They can adjust toe from the factory. This is my point specifically to his issue. I am not here to debate alignment adjustments. They are all ultimately important.

If the toe adjustment would be the thing to resolve this specific issue, he would not continually have inside tire wear as the adjustment would be made if he is aligning his car on a regular basis.

Camber adjustment will eliminate excessive inside tire wear. But there will always be more inside tire wear, because even with the front in spec, the tire lean inward -.50 degrees from the factory.
Old 09-20-2013, 07:25 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

I agree with both posters on their view of importance of toe, the adjustment is there for a reason. But, in the description of the issue he is having, with a lowered car and inside tire wear, adjusting the camber is going to.resolve his ongoing issue. They can adjust toe from the factory. This is my point specifically to his issue. I am not here to debate alignment adjustments. They are all ultimately important.

If the toe adjustment would be the thing to resolve this specific issue, he would not continually have inside tire wear as the adjustment would be made if he is aligning his car on a regular basis.

Camber adjustment will eliminate excessive inside tire wear. But there will always be more inside tire wear, because even with the front in spec, the tire lean inward -.50 degrees from the factory.
Without seeing his alignment specs is just speculation, but it's probably a combination of high camber and toe being boderline or a bit high. Sure high camber will result in accelerated inner tread wear, but if that's combined with toe that's just a bit off it can take the accelerated wear to another level. It'd be nice to know his true alignment readings along w/ a pic or two
Old 09-20-2013, 07:27 PM
ChillySoft
Registered Member

I will agree with you on that statement.
Old 09-20-2013, 07:32 PM
ChillySoft
Registered Member

So dude, get a arms and front and rear camber/toe kits and then an alignment.

I have the complete Kinetix racing kit on my g front and rear, lowered to 26.75 in center of fender wells, about 1.5 in. And everything is set to factory spec. If you are lower than about 2.5 inches you will need to find a arms that will adjust that far. Less than 2.5 in. Lowered and that kit will suit you fine.

They are pretty cheap considering the cost to replace tires.
Old 09-20-2013, 07:54 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

So dude, get a arms and front and rear camber/toe kits and then an alignment.

I have the complete Kinetix racing kit on my g front and rear, lowered to 26.75 in center of fender wells, about 1.5 in. And everything is set to factory spec. If you are lower than about 2.5 inches you will need to find a arms that will adjust that far. Less than 2.5 in. Lowered and that kit will suit you fine.

They are pretty cheap considering the cost to replace tires.
I've got SPCs w/ the toe kit and I'm at 2" drop (26.25" to the wells) and camber at -1.1 and just a bit of toe-in (don't have my spec sheet handy), not sure where the SPCs max out but they've been known to hit the underside of the fender on slammed Gs.
Totally agree about the investment in the arms is much better than dealing w/ regular tire purchases.
The following users liked this post:
teonguyen (09-25-2013)
Old 09-20-2013, 10:46 PM
CodeG

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Then do not give half *** information like "Toe will effect tire wear slightly" How do you know his camber is at -1.5 and based on what you think -1.5 will cause inner tire wear? Take a little more experiences than just Google a subject and touting like a know it all.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:52 AM
ChillySoft
Registered Member

Originally Posted by CodeG
Then do not give half *** information like "Toe will effect tire wear slightly" How do you know his camber is at -1.5 and based on what you think -1.5 will cause inner tire wear? Take a little more experiences than just Google a subject and touting like a know it all.

It is simple Geometry, a car with stock -.5 degrees of camber, then lowered 1.5in, will result in a greater negative degree of camber, period end of story. Camber is what will cause the inner tire wear. Toe will accelerate it, but not resolve this issue.

If you set the front camber to 0.0 then toe would scrub across the entire tire, with minimal to no inner tire wear. But because there is -.5 degrees of camber from the factory, there will always be inner tire wear.

As I also previously stated, all alignment adjustments are important, but to correct his issue, I gave the best answer possible: " Get A Arms for the front and a camber/toe kit for the rear" Do you disagree?

I do not need to Google any of this as I have been doing it all my life, probably longer than you have been alive. but what did you add other than a flame?

Telling people to use slack in the suspension or bending things is just silly kid stuff.
The following 2 users liked this post by ChillySoft:
G37zus (09-30-2014), teonguyen (09-25-2013)