Brake's squealing because tires are too wide Infiniti claims. Please help

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 04:06 PM
11SAPG37

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
Brake's squealing because tires are too wide Infiniti claims. Please help

Hi everyone,

I could really use some advise right now. I took my 2011 G37 with 30k on the clock to get serviced at Kearny Mesa Infiniti back in May because my brakes were squealing really bad (not the first time; its been there before for this issue right after I bought the car new). Anytime you hit the brakes they would let out a extremely obnoxious squeal while shimmering the steering wheel and making a terrible grinding noise. They resurfaced the front rotors and replaced the rear pads at my expense. A couple of days later the car started doing exactly the same thing, so I called and made another appointment and brought it in. They drove the car and claimed they were unable to replicate the sound, although I really cant understand how because it sounds like a 70's bucket when applying the brakes.

After several emails and phone calls exchanged they refused to further diagnose the issue and claimed it was because my tires are too wide for the car. (The car has a set of G35 rays with 255/40/19 in the front and 275/40/19 in the rear. It's also lowered on a set of Eibachs.) I explained that this issue started well before I changed the wheels and tires, but that didn't seem to process well with them.

Can this issue of my brakes squealing, grinding, and shaking the wheel be because of the width of the tires? It sounds like B.S. to me but I could be wrong. Keep in mind though, this problem existed long before I put the G35 wheels and tires on the car.

I have also called consumer affairs and requested a vehicle repurchase (and denied) because the car has been there 4 times now for this issue over the two years I've owned it. I made another appointment today at Perry Infiniti in Escondido because its getting worse. I explained everything in this post to the adviser and he is saying exactly the same thing! "Its because you wheels and tires are too large and they are not meant for the vehicle."

Any input???
Old 07-25-2013, 04:10 PM
Hapa DC5

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Speak with the Service Director. Be calm and professional. Ask if they are willing to swap stock wheels and tires out to see if the brake squeak persists to basically negate that theory.

I have never heard of wheels and tires causing the brake squeak, but I do know there are a few TSBs on this issue. Try to look them up.
Old 07-25-2013, 04:18 PM
11SAPG37

Originally Posted by Hapa DC5
Speak with the Service Director. Be calm and professional. Ask if they are willing to swap stock wheels and tires out to see if the brake squeak persists to basically negate that theory.

I have never heard of wheels and tires causing the brake squeak, but I do know there are a few TSBs on this issue. Try to look them up.
I actually went on a drive with the service chairman. He drove the car out of the parking lot and around the block while the car was cold and we had no luck replicating the noise. I explained to him that it needs to be driven more than just around the block. When I left, after driving a few blocks down the road it started back up again.

Kearny Mesa Infiniti have been very uncooperative with me from the start. I'm a young guy (20) so I think they just don't take me seriously.

Here is a video I took. It's since gotten worse.

Old 07-25-2013, 04:39 PM
BLamb
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Do you have the sport brakes or the regular ones?

Doubt this is it but double check the torque on your lug nuts, make sure they're not too tight. Could also try blasting some brake cleaner on the rotors to remove any residue.

Only other thing I can think of is if your dust shield on the back of the brakes got bent or damaged slightly. Can pull the wheel of the wheel that makes the loudest squeak and see if you notice any rubbing.

I've seen people run a lot wider tires than you and they don't complain about the squeak except in reverse (seems to be an akebono issue).
Old 07-25-2013, 04:53 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
I have the same squeal. My service advisor told me the rotors are glazed. Not much they could do for you. He suggested I just wait it out until I need new pads/rotors and changed them instead of wasting $ on resurfacing them. I will not go with OEM pads/rotors.
Old 07-25-2013, 04:56 PM
11SAPG37

Originally Posted by BLamb
Do you have the sport brakes or the regular ones?

Doubt this is it but double check the torque on your lug nuts, make sure they're not too tight. Could also try blasting some brake cleaner on the rotors to remove any residue.

Only other thing I can think of is if your dust shield on the back of the brakes got bent or damaged slightly. Can pull the wheel of the wheel that makes the loudest squeak and see if you notice any rubbing.

I've seen people run a lot wider tires than you and they don't complain about the squeak except in reverse (seems to be an akebono issue).
Non sport. Infiniti actually said the same things about the wheels being over torqued but that isn't the issue. They have removed the wheels multiple times and confirmed they were at the right torque spec.

Both front brakes squeal equally from what I've observed. Infiniti also lubed them up, and it worked for about a day but that's it.

I was explained to my service adviser that I've seen multiple G's with much wider tires than me that run fine. He's reply to that was the car is not built to run a staggered setup nor 275 mm rear tires. I then said well what about the G37S/IPL G models. They run a staggered setup from the factory.
Old 07-25-2013, 04:57 PM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
Lazy *** dealership, not wanting to do their job. Do you have any other dealers nearby that you could bring your car to?
Old 07-25-2013, 04:59 PM
11SAPG37

Originally Posted by sniper27
I have the same squeal. My service advisor told me the rotors are glazed. Not much they could do for you. He suggested I just wait it out until I need new pads/rotors and changed them instead of wasting $ on resurfacing them. I will not go with OEM pads/rotors.
I was told the same thing, except my adviser insisted that I abuse my car because my brakes were glazed.

I would wait it out but I just paid $380.00 to fix the squeal and it came back almost immediately after my G was serviced. Not only that but my wheel shutters pretty badly when braking.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:01 PM
11SAPG37

Originally Posted by efuseakay
Lazy *** dealership, not wanting to do their job. Do you have any other dealers nearby that you could bring your car to?
Yea, Perry Infiniti of Escondido. I called to make an appointment and the service adviser was going through my notes and immediately said the problem is due to my tires being too large. I didn't expect him to right away agree with Kearny Mesa Infiniti without even seeing the car.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:26 PM
11SAPG37

Here's a few pics of my car. I know, I'm a terrible photographer. The car looks better in person.

I'm not much of a fan of chrome but it doesn't look bad. I originally wanted 370z wheels but had a hard time locating a set.

Name:  P3_zps2be082bd.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  83.8 KB

Name:  p1_zpsdc7119c7.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  100.3 KB

Name:  P2_zpsc1478f3e.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  87.3 KB
Old 07-25-2013, 05:30 PM
Hapa DC5

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Do you have stock wheels to swap?
Old 07-25-2013, 05:39 PM
11SAPG37

Originally Posted by Hapa DC5
Do you have stock wheels to swap?
No, I wish. I sold them shortly after putting the rays on. Had I known they were going to give me these problems about the wheels I would of kept them.

Soonest Perry Infiniti can get me in is next Thursday. However I don't see them fixing the problem anyway. Consumer Affairs hasn't been help nor has the BBB. All I was asking from KMI was to refund my money so I could take the car somewhere else which they denied. I sent a rebuttal through the BBB with no response yet. It's surprising to me that Consumer Affairs wont step up and help me out being that the brakes are a critical system in the car, and potentially a liability.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:52 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
Dealer is saying your tires are too wide when you have stock 19s? What tire size are you running. Not that it matters, but just curious why they would even consider that. The brake judder sounds like warped rotors. I have coupe 19s on my sedan as well, but i know plenty of people complaining of their brake squealing even with stock tires. Infiniti knows of the glazing issue with their OEM brakes.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:00 PM
rlo
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Its not the wheels it is the brakes. I think it is common with G's. I have non-sports and I would have the pig squealing at first from low speed stops, then it slowly progressed to any stop.
Took off the calipers and cleaned everything, was quiet for about a month and then residue built up ,I am guessing, and the squeals returned.

I have since replaced rotors and pads with aftermarket.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:02 PM
11SAPG37

Originally Posted by sniper27
Dealer is saying your tires are too wide when you have stock 19s? What tire size are you running. Not that it matters, but just curious why they would even consider that. The brake judder sounds like warped rotors. I have coupe 19s on my sedan as well, but i know plenty of people complaining of their brake squealing even with stock tires. Infiniti knows of the glazing issue with their OEM brakes.

Stock 19's from a G35 coupe. Regardless the fitment is fine, that's not the problem although that is what Infiniti is implying. I am running 255/40/19 in the front and 275/40/19 in the rear.

I also thought it warped rotors, but on a car with 30k miles? Something would have to be wrong. My commute is minimal and I don't smack the gas to 80 MPH to then slam on the brakes at ever stop light.

The squeal isn't something subtle, if that were the case I would just live with it. They squeal every time you apply the brake and continue until the car is stopped, no matter the conditions or the amount of brake force applied. It's very loud and obnoxious.... Not only the noise and the wheel vibrations bother me, they just don't perform like the way they did when I bought the car.

Quick Reply: Brake's squealing because tires are too wide Infiniti claims. Please help