Brake's squealing because tires are too wide Infiniti claims. Please help

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 06:05 PM
11SAPG37

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by rlo
Its not the wheels it is the brakes. I think it is common with G's. I have non-sports and I would have the pig squealing at first from low speed stops, then it slowly progressed to any stop.
Took off the calipers and cleaned everything, was quiet for about a month and then residue built up ,I am guessing, and the squeals returned.

I have since replaced rotors and pads with aftermarket.

Also, I know its a common problem with the non sport G's, but Ive had loaners multiple times and while they may occasionally let out a squeak its something that is quick and relatively quiet. It's not an every stop occurrence.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:08 PM
11SAPG37

How can I prove to the dealer that it's not due to the width of the tires??
Old 07-25-2013, 06:37 PM
Hapa DC5

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Find the tsbs that list the brake squeak. A lot of Nissans have this issue.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:39 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
It is possible for the rotors to be warped at 30k miles. It is not a warranty issue, so unfortunately, it won't do you any good to prove it's not the tires anyways. changing the rotors would probably be your solution. i don't have the judder, but I do have that long squeal everytime I apply the brakes though. but like i said, im just gonna wait and replace pads and rotors. BTW, i'm only at 25k miles.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:12 PM
11SAPG37

Originally Posted by sniper27
It is possible for the rotors to be warped at 30k miles. It is not a warranty issue, so unfortunately, it won't do you any good to prove it's not the tires anyways. changing the rotors would probably be your solution. i don't have the judder, but I do have that long squeal everytime I apply the brakes though. but like i said, im just gonna wait and replace pads and rotors. BTW, i'm only at 25k miles.

The reason I want them to know its not the tires is because I paid for the the rotors to be resurfaced and the rear pads to be replaced. Shortly after their replacement they continue to not only squeal but perform the way they did prior to my visit to the stealership. So in my eyes its like I gave them money for nothing. If they continue to believe my tires are at fault then I have no chance of them fixing what needs to be fixed or receiving a refund for the "work performed."

If the brake squeal is something that all non sport G owners have to deal with then I can accept that, but I don't think it's okay for the wheel to shake when applying the brakes. It really takes all the confidence away from the car.

Forgot to mention to you guys:

When accelerating fast my brake light will blink, shortly after the traction control light will illuminate (the one that blinks when you slip, not the on/off light) and it will completely shut off. Like burn outs for days, OFF. Not sure what that's about.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:17 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
I would take it to another dealer. Isn't there antoher one in the San Diego area?
Old 07-25-2013, 07:28 PM
sriniG37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Kearny Mesa infiniti is not known for good customer service. I only go to them for oil changes. Perry infiniti used to be good. Not sure how they are now.
Try Hoehn Infiniti in Carlsbad. I have never tried them before but I think thats your only other option in SD. You could also try Infiniti of Mission Viejo. Their service department is also pretty decent. But its a 1 hour drive from SD.
If the dealerships are not very cooperative maybe you could get an opinion from a good independent mechanic. Just a thought.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:31 PM
11SAPG37

Originally Posted by sniper27
I would take it to another dealer. Isn't there antoher one in the San Diego area?
I am, next Thursday. But like I said earlier the service adviser that I spoke with went through my notes from Kearny Mesa Infiniti and said that the reason my brakes are squealing is because my tires. The guy has never seen the car before, yet hes so certain that's the problem.

I am almost certain that they will drive the car, replicate the noise, call me with Kearny Mesa Infiniti's observations and diagnose no further...

I really really love this car, but man, its at the dealer more then in my garage. I have had multiple issues besides the brakes. Stalling, not starting, sun roof wont sit properly, window actuators, intelligent key, bose AMP.... The list really does go on.

Its really frustrating to have the dealerships against you.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:34 PM
11SAPG37

Originally Posted by sriniG37
Kearny Mesa infiniti is not known for good customer service. I only go to them for oil changes. Perry infiniti used to be good. Not sure how they are now.
Try Hoehn Infiniti in Carlsbad. I have never tried them before but I think thats your only other option in SD. You could also try Infiniti of Mission Viejo. Their service department is also pretty decent. But its a 1 hour drive from SD.
If the dealerships are not very cooperative maybe you could get an opinion from a good independent mechanic. Just a thought.

Not a bad idea, I'll try that. Maybe if an independent mechanic takes a look and determines what the actual problem is I can present their write up to Infiniti.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:36 PM
Adam West
Registered Member

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
My OEM factory front rotors warped before 30k, probably around 22k or so, but I never had experienced any brake squeal. You should NOT have any vibration in the steering wheel when braking - this is caused by warped rotors. Resurfacing only aggravates the problem a few thousand miles later when the rotors warp again (they get thinner every cut).

Usually noise from the pads can be alleviated by making sure the caliper slides are clean and then putting on a anti-squeal compound on the baker of the pad that contacts the caliper piston. I replaced my OEM rotors/pads with aftermarket, but did the anti-squeal compound and haven't had any noise.

I can't see how larger tires would have any effect on brake noise, doesn't make any sense to me, seems like a lazy dealer. BTW, did you have them check the rear rotors/pads, the noise could be easily coming from those as well.
Old 07-26-2013, 02:11 PM
11SAPG37

Originally Posted by Adam West
My OEM factory front rotors warped before 30k, probably around 22k or so, but I never had experienced any brake squeal. You should NOT have any vibration in the steering wheel when braking - this is caused by warped rotors. Resurfacing only aggravates the problem a few thousand miles later when the rotors warp again (they get thinner every cut).

Usually noise from the pads can be alleviated by making sure the caliper slides are clean and then putting on a anti-squeal compound on the baker of the pad that contacts the caliper piston. I replaced my OEM rotors/pads with aftermarket, but did the anti-squeal compound and haven't had any noise.

I can't see how larger tires would have any effect on brake noise, doesn't make any sense to me, seems like a lazy dealer. BTW, did you have them check the rear rotors/pads, the noise could be easily coming from those as well.

Yes, they checked out the rear brakes. On the invoice it says --

"MMORM Rear brake serivce/mach.CK REAR BRAKES AND SERVICE IF NEEDED. REAR BRAKES WORN OUT Rpl REAR BRAKES MACHINE BOTH REAR ROTORS. BRAKE SHIMMY FROM FRONT PADS 6/7 MM. MACHINE BOTH FRONT ROTORS ON VEH."

If they don't step up and correct what needs to be corrected I will go the aftermarket route.

At this point though, with all the other problems I've experienced I just want to get into a different car.

The car is a hoot to drive but Infiniti dealers (atleast in San Diego) just suck! I had an 05 G35x sedan for 80k, and that was the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. I'm actually shocked that consumer affairs isnt working with me being I am a loyal Infiniti owner. The only time my G35 was at the dealer was for routine maintenance.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:30 AM
Adam West
Registered Member

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
So I'm assuming they replaced the rear pads and resurfaced the rotors in the rear, the is miniminally the right way to do it if they aren't warped real bad. At least the rotor has a fresh mating surface and the new pad can seat into it. As for the fronts, you might have somewhat glazed pads that have also worn uneven since they were not replaced. They gave the rotors a nice true surface, but using the old pads could be causing the problem here. You can either try to go out and do some hard braking (pad burnishing) from 50-0, 40-0, 30-0, to get them very hot and lay down pad material on the rotors. Don't forget to drive around after without using the brakes much to cool them down. Or request they replace the pads with new ones and just do a quick pass on the rotors once more for a fresh surface.

When I do brake jobs I usually just go straight for replacing rotors and pads at once, but that is usually because I have bad enough warpage that I'm not going to deal with resurfacing just to have it warp again in 10k.
Old 07-27-2013, 12:32 PM
CodeG

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
^^ What he said. Brake squeal has nothing to do with wide or narrow tires, just hardware components and installation.