Pulled the trigger on Swift Springs and Konis today!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 02:13 PM
mpegripper
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
what was the stock ride height?

and impressions on the ride quality after you get the rears in please
Old 07-17-2013, 03:37 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Received 178 Likes on 117 Posts
Looking forward to your before and after measurements and a full review. I'm looking to go this same route with my sedan. I'm definitely doing the Koni's but am still debating on the swift springs as I don't really want a drop but if the drop is minimal, I would be ok with that. Congrats and great job!
The following users liked this post:
Mik3G37S (01-01-2014)
Old 07-17-2013, 03:57 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
That's an interesting spring coil w/ those swifts, three completely compressed wraps to a fully open wound design. Seems like a hybrid progressive design since there's not really a transition between the tight wraps and the open ones. Interested to hear the verdict.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:41 PM
ssscottg

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi All,

Finished the Rear last night and was exhausted. So posting pics that I took this morning.

Started out:
28" all around.

Final score:
26 7/8 front
27 1/4 Rear
I am running 5 twists out of 10 for rebound adjustment. It's not as easy as a clicker adjustments like a bike shock but it's easy enough.

Name:  20130718_103657_zps1002fb4e.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  125.5 KB

Name:  20130718_103517_zps386daa5b.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  135.8 KB

Name:  20130718_104039_zpsa8691a3e.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  101.1 KB

Thanks for all the help that you all offered. And thanks for the funny comments too. Next week I will be driving in the Sierras for vacation so I should get a good idea of the performance improvement.

But my driving impressions so far:
Soft Ride! Not as stiff as my 2000 Camaro SS with Eibach and Bilstien from SLP. It may have something to do with the 17" wheels and 55 profile tires. the front end does not wallow now when I turn in to a curve. And the traction control is kicking on after the apex of a fast turn if I step-on-it. A little more noise from the fronts, so I greased the spring seat, and it quieted things down. Definitly acceptable noise. The car sits about 1 1/4 inch lower so I will have to be careful with parking stops, speed bumps and driveways. But I don't think the drop is excessive. All in all, I am a happy camper.

After vacation, me and a friend are taking our cars out to Santa Clara and will do some night driving on in the coastal mountains. He has a 2011 mustang GT with the Brembo package, so I can't wait to see if I can keep up with him as he is a nationally ranked motorcycle road racer so he knows his stuff. Should be fun. And I promise no street racing stories... That's a rule right?

Last edited by ssscottg; 07-18-2013 at 06:01 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by ssscottg:
blnewt (07-18-2013), LilRocket (07-18-2013), ZenZiglar (07-19-2013)
Old 07-18-2013, 07:22 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by ssscottg
Hi All,

Finished the Rear last night and was exhausted. So posting pics that I took this morning.

Started out:
28" all around.

Final score:
26 7/8 front
27 1/4 Rear
I am running 5 twists out of 10 for rebound adjustment. It's not as easy as a clicker adjustments like a bike shock but it's easy enough.

Thanks for all the help that you all offered. And thanks for the funny comments too. Next week I will be driving in the Sierras for vacation so I should get a good idea of the performance improvement.

But my driving impressions so far:
Soft Ride! Not as stiff as my 2000 Camaro SS with Eibach and Bilstien from SLP. It may have something to do with the 17" wheels and 55 profile tires. the front end does not wallow now when I turn in to a curve. And the traction control is kicking on after the apex of a fast turn if I step-on-it. A little more noise from the fronts, so I greased the spring seat, and it quieted things down. Definitly acceptable noise. The car sits about 1 1/4 inch lower so I will have to be careful with parking stops, speed bumps and driveways. But I don't think the drop is excessive. All in all, I am a happy camper.

After vacation, me and a friend are taking our cars out to Santa Clara and will do some night driving on in the coastal mountains. He has a 2011 mustang GT with the Brembo package, so I can't wait to see if I can keep up with him as he is a nationally ranked motorcycle road racer so he knows his stuff. Should be fun. And I promise no street racing stories... That's a rule right?
Very nice drop Scott, glad everything worked out so well, no pain no gain right
Springs may settle a bit more, as of now looks like a perfect drop for a daily driver, should be easy to navigate the speed bumps, steep drives etc.
Thanks for the review!
Old 07-18-2013, 10:07 PM
shivers

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Looks good. Where is the adjustment for the rear shock? Any pics by chance?
Old 07-18-2013, 10:12 PM
Bota36
Registered Member

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts
Looks great Scott. Love the final product and its great to see another G on Swifts.

By the way, I love the Sierras. If your going fly fishing, you need to hit East Walker...trophy trout there. If you haven't been there, PM me.
Old 07-19-2013, 12:58 PM
ssscottg

Originally Posted by shivers
Looks good. Where is the adjustment for the rear shock? Any pics by chance?

Hi, It looks like this.

You use a small Allen wrench to twist + clockwise.

Old 07-19-2013, 01:54 PM
ZenZiglar

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Looks good! And big thanks for this helpful thread!

Looks like the combo of Swifts and Konis are great for the spirited daily drivers that don't want to go too low!
Old 07-19-2013, 02:29 PM
soundmike

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
That's an interesting spring coil w/ those swifts, three completely compressed wraps to a fully open wound design. Seems like a hybrid progressive design since there's not really a transition between the tight wraps and the open ones. Interested to hear the verdict.
What's interesting to me is how it looks quite different from mine.

That aside, i think it's still a linear design. The tightly-wound coils are meant to compress when loaded, the rest of the coils are linear and typically with higher rates. Looking at Swift's new data table, i think that's pretty much confirmed. Seems their current rates are certainly higher than the one i have.

p.s. FWIW, my drop height is 27" all around and it never settled (GR-2 dampers.)
blnewt (07-19-2013)
Old 07-19-2013, 04:22 PM
ssscottg

Originally Posted by soundmike
What's interesting to me is how it looks quite different from mine.

That aside, i think it's still a linear design. The tightly-wound coils are meant to compress when loaded, the rest of the coils are linear and typically with higher rates. Looking at Swift's new data table, i think that's pretty much confirmed. Seems their current rates are certainly higher than the one i have.

p.s. FWIW, my drop height is 27" all around and it never settled (GR-2 dampers.)
Hi soundmike,

I noticed that you have the plastic wrap on your coils. I think that is the solution for my noise I will probably do one more disassemble and install the plastic wrap on the front coils. The backs are not noisy at all.
I was thinking about contacting Swift, they would probably know where to get some.

But I see that Whiteline makes the plastic wrap coils.

Regards,
Scott
Old 07-20-2013, 12:27 AM
soundmike

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by ssscottg
But I see that Whiteline makes the plastic wrap coils.

Regards,
Scott
Hey Scott, the car is looking great! I actually like how yours dropped a little lower, despite the claims that Koni's raise the height. I always thought that "raising" had to do with a comparison of worn dampers with new ones.

You can get the wrap at Home Depot or any home improvement or electrical store. They're in the electronics department.

Gardner Bender 1/2 in. 3.5 ft. Spiral Wrap - Clear-FSP-CLEART at The Home Depot -- choose the width you prefer to use. Don't get those narrower than 1/2", they're unwieldy.

I've used this on past vehicles, one of which has over 150k miles on it, and it hasn't worn out at all.
ssscottg (07-20-2013)
Old 07-20-2013, 12:13 PM
ssscottg

Originally Posted by soundmike
You can get the wrap at Home Depot or any home improvement or electrical store. They're in the electronics department.

Gardner Bender 1/2 in. 3.5 ft. Spiral Wrap - Clear-FSP-CLEART at The Home Depot -- choose the width you prefer to use. Don't get those narrower than 1/2", they're unwieldy.

I've used this on past vehicles, one of which has over 150k miles on it, and it hasn't worn out at all.
Hey Mike,

Thanks for the tip for local sourcing of the plastic wrap. I will give that a try.

Regards,
Scott
Old 01-01-2014, 08:07 PM
Robert_K
Registered Member

Received 126 Likes on 96 Posts
Scott… Mind giving an impression review now that you've had some time on them? I'm looking to possibly go to the Koni's with my Swift on my sport sedan. THANKS!
Old 01-01-2014, 10:59 PM
Mik3G37S

Received 211 Likes on 146 Posts
Same here I've been toying around with this idea of getting Konis + Swift springs or Eibachs , but was told by couple people here that they wont work with sedans... are these any different from the ones for 370Z ? Is there a specific part number or can you provide a link for those and if you wouldn't mind sharing how much did the whole setup cost you...any more adjustment in the rear to lower it a little bit more?

Quick Reply: Pulled the trigger on Swift Springs and Konis today!