cut or buy new rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 02:05 AM
drizzy315
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
cut or buy new rotors?

guys dealer states they cut rotors and replace pads was told they cut rotors up to 2 times before needed replacing. why do you sugest buy or resurface them rotors have not been cut before
Old 06-27-2013, 07:36 AM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by drizzy315
guys dealer states they cut rotors and replace pads was told they cut rotors up to 2 times before needed replacing. why do you sugest buy or resurface them rotors have not been cut before
In April 2009 with 84928 miles on my 2006 G35, the dealer replaced my brake pads and cut the rotors and charged $530.00.
I was very happy with the work and I was due for another pad replacement last August with 171796 miles on those pads on my G35.
Rather than spend the money for brake replacement and a few other items I decided to trade it in for a new 2012 G37S

Bottom line, I got good mileage out of the OEM pads and good mileage out of the dealer replaced pads.

I'm an old farht and what I've learned over my many years of driving and owning many vehicles is that I only trust the dealer to work on my cars.
I also request that only the top most experienced factory trained technician do any work on my vehicle.
I get my New Jersey $130 hourly labor charge moneys worth with excellent top quality work.

Having said all that, In order for the dealer to guarantee their work that is the factory recommended procedure.

Keep in mind your life depends on brakes and tires.
Would you rather trust this work to some inexperienced kid to save a few bucks?

Good luck in your decision

Telcoman
Old 06-27-2013, 08:23 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,650 Likes on 3,478 Posts
Originally Posted by telcoman
I'm an old farht and what I've learned over my many years of driving and owning many vehicles is that I only trust the dealer to work on my cars.
All that means is that you didn't put the effort into finding a respected street/pro mechanic that you could build a trusted relationship with. That also tells me that you don't engage mechanics to modify your car with non-OEM parts, so you either do that stuff yourself, or not at all.

There are some things that a dealership's Service Department can be more efficient with, because of corporate training certifications and having done the identical work on the identical cars over and over. However, that really only applies to the senior mechanics... and of those, only the ones who still give a fck.

Here's my advice about brakes, (from another old farht who's only months away from the big Five-O):
  • Aftermarket performance parts are superior to OEM.
  • A good mechanic will do just as good a job as the dealership on brakes, if not better.
  • The differential in cost is a HUGE savings over OEM parts and Dealer-installation, potentially half as much.
  • You will end up with a better quality brake system.

Last edited by Rochester; 06-27-2013 at 08:30 AM.
The following users liked this post:
quakerroatmeal (06-27-2013)
Old 06-27-2013, 08:30 AM
owslystnly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
And that is why I generally avoid giving dealers my $$.

And of all things to work on, brakes are just about the simplest, and least difficult to **** up.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:52 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by telcoman
How do you know the dealership doesn't delegate brake jobs to the new kid? Do you interview their mechanics, then pick your favorite? I'd like to see that.

Originally Posted by owslystnly
And of all things to work on, brakes are just about the simplest, and least difficult to **** up.
For the most part, yes. However the parking brake design in the G adds a little complexity.

Personally, I hate it. I wish it were an actual emergency brake. If I had a dollar for every time I approached a speed trap and my hand instinctively pulled up on the brake handle, then went "Doh!" realizing it wasn't an actual, proper e-brake...
Old 06-27-2013, 08:59 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,942 Likes on 4,175 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
All that means is that you didn't put the effort into finding a respected street/pro mechanic that you could build a trusted relationship with. That also tells me that you don't engage mechanics to modify your car with non-OEM parts, so you either do that stuff yourself, or not at all.

There are some things that a dealership's Service Department can be more efficient with, because of corporate training certifications and having done the identical work on the identical cars over and over. However, that really only applies to the senior mechanics... and of those, only the ones who still give a fck.

Here's my advice about brakes, (from another old farht who's only months away from the big Five-O):
  • Aftermarket performance parts are superior to OEM.
  • A good mechanic will do just as good a job as the dealership on brakes, if not better.
  • The differential in cost is a HUGE savings over OEM parts and Dealer-installation, potentially half as much.
  • You will end up with a better quality brake system.
I just DIY, cuz I'm also an old fart, I'm cheap, and still give a fck

Good points John, all of them.
drizzy315 (06-28-2013)
Old 06-27-2013, 09:37 AM
blazeplacid

Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts
nothing wrong with cutting ( turning) rotors as long as they are within spec.

I had mine turned at around 40K miles and they stop as good as they did when I bought the car.

I worked at a parts store while I was in college. We turned around 20 sets of rotors a week. Never had any issues.
drizzy315 (06-28-2013)
Old 06-27-2013, 10:11 AM
pricojorge

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I got new pads, new drilled rotors, and installed by my guy all for give or take 500$
Old 06-27-2013, 10:21 AM
SwissCheeseHead

Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
I just DIY, cuz I'm also an old fart, I'm cheap, and still give a fck

Good points John, all of them.
Same here. But i'm not an old fart....yet.

Price of pads and rotors were just north of $250, IIRC and an afternoon's worth of time.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:09 AM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
OP - if your rotors are within specs (i.e. not too thin) go ahead and have them turned (cut) when you have the pads replaced. rotors are often good for at least one turning.

i couldn't agree more with the above posts referencing high-quality and reputable independent shops being excellent alternatives to the dealership. especially when it comes to routine maintenance items like brakes and alike. many long-time Nissan/Infiniti technicians start their own businesses and are extremely competent at their craft. many of these shops will allow you to provide your own parts too, which multiplies the savings! buying parts at the dealer and having the work done by the dealer is just nuts, IMO.

of course, DIY is always a great idea if one has the means to do the straight forward jobs.

as long as you keep your records and receipts, you are covered for warranty claims.

and yes, many premium aftermarket brands surpass OE parts in terms of performance/wear characteristics and value. OE stuff will always work, of course, but aftermarket is often better.
drizzy315 (06-28-2013)
Old 06-27-2013, 12:46 PM
quakerroatmeal
Registered Member

Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts
Rochester really great post.

Telcoman you're fooling yourself if you think the dealership is the best. Have you ever been back to the bay? I've recently went to Infiniti and I always look at who's working on my car etc. Nothing but 18-19 yr old kids working on the cars back there. Nothing impressive @ 130$/hr. Just rape prices for consumers who does not know any better pays for it.

I for one prefer OEM pads. Even though they cause a ton of dust..I just like the feel. Most (not saying all) after market pads lose initial bite which I don't like.
drizzy315 (06-28-2013)
Old 06-27-2013, 01:00 PM
monty2003
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I always buy new. Have had rotors cut a few times (on Acuras) and they all warped. That being said I have a cut pair of rotors on my 09 G right now (had been cut right before I purchased the car) and they have been great.

The main reason I don't cut is because I don't typically have time to wait a day or two to have it done. I suppose I could buy a new set for immediate replacement and then I would have years to get the used set cut. Since it takes me 60-70k to wear through a set of pads/rotors, I'm not too worried about it and I don't want rotors sitting in my garage for years.
brian
Old 06-27-2013, 01:50 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by monty2003
Have had rotors cut a few times (on Acuras) and they all warped.
You should read this.

-Warped- Brake Disc and Other Myths
Old 06-27-2013, 01:59 PM
monty2003
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Very interesting - thanks for sharing. I should rephrase --- on the Aucras, I experienced Judder -- way past the point of annoyance and into dangerous territory. I must admit I did not follow a proper break in procedure and at the time I did not own a torque wrench so who knows what could have happened.

On my previous infiniti (new rotors each time), I did follow the burnishing procedure in the service manual and experienced long life with OEM (kiriu rotors) and Akebono Ceramic pads.
Brian
drizzy315 (06-28-2013)
Old 06-27-2013, 02:09 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by monty2003
Very interesting - thanks for sharing.
It really is interesting, isn't it? Thanks, monty.

One of the little tricks that my mechanic does after bedding in new brakes is to immediately shoot the rotors with an IR Gun, to verify that the brakes are being applied with relative pressure on both sides. In my entire life, I've never seen anyone do that before, although it makes some sense.
drizzy315 (06-28-2013)

Quick Reply: cut or buy new rotors?