camber kit installed and alignment done but...

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 06:18 PM
Himalaya
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
camber kit installed and alignment done but...

I got my front control arms installed, and rear control arms installed, but no toe bolts, on my 2009 g37x lowered on eibach. Did the alignment and install at the same place, and there was some misunderstanding between the alignment shop and I, and i asked for -1.0 camber in the front and -1.5 camber in the front but they did a -1.5 square setup on all 4 wheels with 0 on the toe on the front and 1/16th inch in on each side on the rear for the toe...

Initially on the phone, they told me that they would fix it for free because there was a misunderstanding, but then they called and said they would charge again for the alignment because a .5 difference in camber is not visually or wear wise different in the front... Are they right? They already refused to fix it, so should I fight to get it fixed or should I just leave it how it is? This was their their fault and the owner did say that there might have been some misunderstanding but that he wouldnt fix it for a .5 of a difference.

What kind of wear am I looking at for a -1.5 degree of camber in the front vs the -1.0 and how many miles do you think my tires would last with -1.5 degrees of camber in the front if the toe is 0?

If they refuse again, I'll just call my credit card company and open a case. Paid 150 for the alignment and they wanted me to pay another 75 to fix the front.
Old 06-22-2013, 06:58 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Camber at -1.5 is just fine, you might want a slight toe-in though. Do you have the spec sheet?
Old 06-22-2013, 08:10 PM
john91

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
-1.5 is fine dude... I have -2.5 and its still takees longggggggggggg time to wear.....the only thing I would lose all respect towards that shop for their incompetence.
Old 06-23-2013, 12:23 AM
Himalaya
Registered Member

they said they don't do print out spec sheets...

It looked like he measured the toe himself because he showed me 1/16 on the measuring tape... which was kinda sketchy. I actually wouldn't have got it done there if I knew they dont show print out sheets. I never been to a place like that, I thought it was standard where they give you print out sheets. This was at a place I have never been to before. The only reason i got the alignment done there was because I got parts installed there and i didn't want to get the camber kit installed at one place and do the alignment elsewhere since i was afraid of driving after considering the toe and camber would be different for every wheel.

I will not be going here again. They are a great shop and my stay was pleasant, but I just wouldn't go there because they refused to fix what was their mistake
Old 06-23-2013, 12:31 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by Himalaya
They are a great shop and my stay was pleasant, but I just wouldn't go there because they refused to fix what was their mistake
If they're a great shop they'd be fixing a mistake they caused IMO. Sure even great shops have screw ups or a bad employee, but they should make things right in the end. And in this day & age any reputable alignment shop should have the equipment to verify exact alignment specs to their customers. So I'd say it's an OK shop at best
Old 06-23-2013, 01:56 AM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
If they're a great shop they'd be fixing a mistake they caused IMO. Sure even great shops have screw ups or a bad employee, but they should make things right in the end. And in this day & age any reputable alignment shop should have the equipment to verify exact alignment specs to their customers. So I'd say it's an OK shop at best
Agreed... If they agreed to a specific spec that you requested and didn't follow through, they should fix it.
Old 06-23-2013, 01:59 PM
Himalaya
Registered Member

I dont know what I was thinking when I wrote they are a great shop. I meant to just say my stay there as pleasent...

Them not fixing the problem means they lost my business. The funny thing is when i left, I was actually talking to the owner about getting all my bushings changed to whiteline bushings in the rear. This is around 400 dollars minimum here for labor and I will not be going there to get this service done. He also had a whiteline sway bar for my car that I was going to buy from him but I now changed my mind.