Brakes for the street and track

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 08:34 PM
blackpanther98

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brakes for the street and track

Hello everyone! Thanks in advanced for the help!

I've been on the track twice with my 2011 G37s and both times I've experienced pretty bad brake fade. My next track weekend is May 18 and I'm already planning on getting power slot rotors for the front axle. I still am using my stock pads, as my car only has about 10,000 miles. My question is, will the slotted brakes in the front be enough to prevent brake fade? Is it absolutely necessary to get performance pads?

I love driving on the track, as it is the one time I can really explore the G's true potential. And my day is always partially ruined by pretty scary fade. It would be great to get this working well so I can track the car for the entire day!

Thanks again for everyone's help and input...I hope I'm not putting up a repeat thread because I've looked all over for this info!!
Old 04-08-2013, 08:56 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Rotors will do nothing to help with brake fade although you may want to get a dedicated track set anyway to use only with your track compound pads. Get a track compound pads. Change your fluid before just before your track day. This will help a little.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:59 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,942 Likes on 4,175 Posts
Originally Posted by blackpanther98
Hello everyone! Thanks in advanced for the help!

I've been on the track twice with my 2011 G37s and both times I've experienced pretty bad brake fade. My next track weekend is May 18 and I'm already planning on getting power slot rotors for the front axle. I still am using my stock pads, as my car only has about 10,000 miles. My question is, will the slotted brakes in the front be enough to prevent brake fade? Is it absolutely necessary to get performance pads?

I love driving on the track, as it is the one time I can really explore the G's true potential. And my day is always partially ruined by pretty scary fade. It would be great to get this working well so I can track the car for the entire day!

Thanks again for everyone's help and input...I hope I'm not putting up a repeat thread because I've looked all over for this info!!
Might be a better plan to upgrade the pads first rather than the expense of rotors. If you only track occasionally the Stoptech Street pads should be an improvement or Hawk HPS. I'd bet the better pads would be a bigger improvement over new rotors and stock pads.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:27 PM
blackpanther98

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blnewt thanks for that advice. You just answered the question I was just going to ask. I've heard 'mostly' good things about Hawk, so I think I will stick with them. Question is would the hp plus be too extreme? I'm not worried about lots of brake dust or the occasional squeal....
Old 04-09-2013, 08:29 AM
soundmike

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
HP Plus will work well on track, but not too well for daily.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:49 AM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
Might be a better plan to upgrade the pads first rather than the expense of rotors. If you only track occasionally the Stoptech Street pads should be an improvement or Hawk HPS. I'd bet the better pads would be a bigger improvement over new rotors and stock pads.
Originally Posted by soundmike
HP Plus will work well on track, but not too well for daily.
Completely agree with the above comments. But I will add one thing.

A track set of pads is paramount, but will do nothing if not bedded in properly.

As mike said, HPS for light track/DD and HP plus for heavy track will work well. Another comparable set are the EBC series...yellow for the light track/DD and red for heavy track.

As for drilled, slotted, and drilled/slotted there's mixed feelings. These rotors, in theory, help with cooling the rotor. In reality, they don't. The only thing good about a good set of quality 2 piece drilled rotors are the weight savings. The slotted rotors help carry dust away from the braking area, and drilled/slotted have a little of both, but they honestly degrade the integrity of the rotor for track purposes.

My advice, get yourself a nice set of regular rotors...not sure if oem counts because of some of the problems known to happen. Betty is right, a set of track rotors/pads only used at the track. It would help not having to clear the brake compound from the rotors every time you want to go to the track...would be easier to just change pads and rotors.

Pros and Cons of Cross-Drilled and Slotted Rotors - Autos.com

Slotted Rotors Vs. Drilled Rotors | eHow.com

Hers two opinions....and I call them opinions because that's what they are. Please do your research before you make such an important descision on track brakes. It can mean the difference between having a great/fun day at the track and wrecking your car or worse getting hurt.

My˘.02

**edit** almost forgot, as Betty has said change/flush your brake fluid and replace it with high temp fluid. If your fluid boils, an awesome set of track brakes won't matter. Amsoil makes high temp fluid. Also, might want to invest in a good set of tires...they aid in braking as well.

Last edited by Rad_Slinger; 04-09-2013 at 09:09 AM.