Help Installed Lowering Spring and now car vibrates, clunks and rattles

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 10:25 AM
Bugzpimpin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installed Lowering Spring and now car vibrates, clunks and rattles

Hey everyone. This is my first post and I need some help. I just lowered my 2012 G37S Sedan on Saturday with an Eibach Pro Kit. It does not have a camber kit (rear SPC kit will be installed this weekend) and has not been aligned yet (also this weekend).

The car was driving fine (has a great ride considering that I only installed springs) up until yesterday. I took a hard right turn at about 30mph drifting out the back end a bit. I immediately heard a loud noise that sounded like the tire went flat. I pulled over and nothing seemed wrong with the car. I drove it home thinking everything was hunky dory. This morning I woke up and drove the car to work and noticed that the front driver's side suspension is rattling over uneven road surfaces and has a really bad vibration when turning and steering towards the right. If you turn the steering wheel sharply while the car is stopped you can sometimes hear a clicking noise.

To the naked eye, it doesn't appear that anything is broken. I'm thinking that something may be loose but I'm unsure. When I installed the lowering springs, I had to undo the endlinks and now I'm thinking that this could be causing the problem??? I'm pretty sure that everything was tightened up nicely but perhaps I'm wrong.

Anybody have any ideas what I should check first? I'm going to go home early today to diagnose and hopefully fix the issue. I really don't want to take the car to Infiniti to hear them say the inevitible "This isn't covered b/c you voided the warranty by lowering the car."

Disclosure: The car has under 10k miles and I drift it all the time. I drifted it at least 4 times before this while it was lowered and didn't have any issues. I really doubt that something suddenly broke from my aggressive driving. I feel strongly that it's related to the car being lowered.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!
Old 03-12-2013, 11:59 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by Bugzpimpin
The car was driving fine (has a great ride considering that I only installed springs) up until yesterday. I took a hard right turn at about 30mph drifting out the back end a bit. I immediately heard a loud noise that sounded like the tire went flat.

Disclosure: The car has under 10k miles and I drift it all the time. I drifted it at least 4 times before this while it was lowered and didn't have any issues. I really doubt that something suddenly broke from my aggressive driving. I feel strongly that it's related to the car being lowered.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!
First of all, drive like a grown up and you might not have this issue. Just sayin. Of course its' from how you are driving it. Lowering it is a factor, but cars with 10K don't normally break from normal driving do they? Read what you wrote and tell me how it seems like something other than what you were doing at the time that it broke is the reason why it's broken. Are you sure you didn't hit anything?

When you drive like that, then sometimes the car may break. Be prepared for that and knowledgeable of what you need to do to fix it if you insist on driving it like that. It sounds like you damaged something in your suspension. Determine which corner(s) it is and break it all down until you find out what's bent/damaged/misaligned. Then fix or replace the parts you broke. You need to get under it and closely inspect everything in the suspension. Lowering a car puts additional stress that the components were not designed for on some of the suspension parts. Check end links. Upper control arms. Strut mounting points.

After you find and fix it, buy an old beater to drift in or you'll keep having this happen in a car that's more expensive to fix.

Welcome to the forum.

Last edited by Black Betty; 03-12-2013 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 03-12-2013, 12:40 PM
OB G

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Haha epic post by BB!

Check your sway bar endlinks, you may have snapped one and it's just hanging there now.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:55 PM
myk1013

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Check the bushings if the spring is sitting on it properly...

Had a similar clunking (metal to metal rubbing/hitting sound) when I installed my Eibach's and that was the problem.

I agree with BB.... get a beater for the drift ride.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:00 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Well I'm just telling the truth. Many of us have driven like a teenager before. I know I have. But if I break my car doing it I don't think that it might be something other than what I did to it. Lowering puts stress on suspension stuff. Driving like a tard makes it worse. The problem isn't the suspension, it's what's being done to it.

OP I hope it didn't come across as rude or bashing you. I don't mean to, I'm just telling you the truth about what I think is wrong with your car from what you posted.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:18 PM
JerseyG37s

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
im not going to lie i laughed my *** off when i read the disclosure.... good luck fixing that buddy welcome to the forum
Old 08-30-2016, 11:52 AM
Bugzpimpin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LMAO. Just came across my old post 3 and a half years later and laughed a bit. The issue was the front hub. I guess that I tightened the rim on too tight so it broke 2 of the studs. Was an easy fix.