Help I Hit The Mother of All Pot-Holes

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 06:37 PM
Goonz
Premier Member

Received 60 Likes on 54 Posts
I Hit The Mother of All Pot-Holes

Guys last night on my way home I hit the MOTHER of all potholes, never saw it, it was at a depression plus with the rain no way I could have seen it. Anyways the impact was AWFUL! It sounded like someone smashed into me but anyways at that moment my radar detector fell off the windshield.

Now my concerns, I SHOCKINGLY didn't pop my front tire, the alignment is def a bit off but whats really scaring me is that I have Hotchkis sways front and rear and they both are set at the stiffest setting. Im hoping the impact didn't snap something although the car seems to be acting fine? However I feel its handling a bit lose perhaps? Or maybe thats in my head? I mean there is no atypical noise coming from the suspension, no clunking, no creaks nothing. Perhaps all the car needs is an alignment? I just dont want to take it in to the stealership and have them rape me for $160 only to tell me nothings wrong.

I also got the car at a higher speed and luckily the wheels didn't feel like they were bent, it was smooth. Anyways any comments or advice? Maybe its all in my head and everything is fine? thanks guys
Old 02-28-2013, 07:17 PM
GTLAW
Banned

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
I would have the car put up on a left and have a look under. I also shocks and sways.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:42 PM
IPL 370GT

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts
Get under the car and take a close look. Don't take it into the dealer...yet anyways. You will need a wheel alignment obviously but don't pay the dealer, check out the says, links, bushings, shocks or coilovers?

What about the wheel.. Have you checked for visible bends, cracks and damage?
I'm assuming these are OEM or cast wheels?

Also make note, take pictures and report the location of the pothole and file a claim with the state or county. Your state tax dollars should replace/repair the damage.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:44 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
If it makes you feel any better I did the same thing but in a PARKING LOT! Turning around in a truck stop parking lot in heavy rain, there was no way to see that underneath the puddle was a chunk of concrete missing. The hole was so deep my front bumper hit the ground and popped loose.

Fortunately as violent as it was, I didn't find any suspension damage, just the damaged bumper. As mentioned, take it to a good suspension shop and tell them what happened. They can put it on the lift and check alignment. If its still aligned there is almost no chance of suspension component damage. If alignment is off there might be. They can inspect underneath for any damage.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:29 PM
Goonz
Premier Member

I know the alignment is off, but checking the car visibly, I dont see anything out of place. No clunking, creaking, nothing atypical. Wheel seems fine, no vibrations at high speeds. I have stock everything except for the Hotchkis sways front and rear set at the stiffest. Hopefully that didnt damage anything.

how would I know if a shock is blown? like the car would feel too bouncy?
Old 03-01-2013, 12:47 PM
Iplcarbon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Goonz

I had a Strut go out on my GTO...it sagged a lil bit... and but Coilovers not sure if thats what you have...

I hit a Dip to fast and it popped. I thought it was a Tire...but broke the seal in the Strut and got it replaced ...that was 5-6 years ago...didnt bounce but became stiff for no recoil of that Strut keeping it ip...

Get it lifted check for leaks, damage and aligned costs roughly $60 at a nice shop not the Stealership...

Good luck
Old 03-01-2013, 01:30 PM
gtslo88

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Iplcarbon
Goonz

I had a Strut go out on my GTO...it sagged a lil bit... and but Coilovers not sure if thats what you have...

I hit a Dip to fast and it popped. I thought it was a Tire...but broke the seal in the Strut and got it replaced ...that was 5-6 years ago...didnt bounce but became stiff for no recoil of that Strut keeping it ip...

Get it lifted check for leaks, damage and aligned costs roughly $60 at a nice shop not the Stealership...

Good luck

funny same thing happened to the bcs on my 06 GTO, on another note, first other member ive seen on here to come from a goat
Old 03-01-2013, 01:34 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

To check for a blown strut, look visually for any sag or significant height difference form one side to the other. If you want to be **** about it measure the height to the top of the wheel opening on both sides, a tiny bit of difference is normal. Then press down quickly and firmly on the fender just above the wheel you are concerned about. It should go down with pressure and pop right back up immediately. If there's little resistance when you press down, or it bounces up and down on the rebound it's bad.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:01 PM
Goonz
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Black Betty
To check for a blown strut, look visually for any sag or significant height difference form one side to the other. If you want to be **** about it measure the height to the top of the wheel opening on both sides, a tiny bit of difference is normal. Then press down quickly and firmly on the fender just above the wheel you are concerned about. It should go down with pressure and pop right back up immediately. If there's little resistance when you press down, or it bounces up and down on the rebound it's bad.
I see no ride height difference, there is no fluid leaking from that side so the strut must be fine and also there is no crazy chopped springs type of bounce on the roads when going over bumps. Everything seems to appear normal, besides the alignment which I'll have done in the spring seeing as theres more of winter left here in new england.

I have stock suspension just hotchkis sways front and rear.

Last edited by Goonz; 03-01-2013 at 05:10 PM.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:29 PM
J0KER

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I dissagree with not taking it to the dealership.......
If the car is still under warranty you need to take it in and tell the advisor that there is a "growling" noise coming from the front of the car. DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT tell them that you hit a pot hole.
If you tell the dealership that the car feels loose in the front end and that there is a growling noise they will look at the car for no charge under the 4/60 warranty and not charge you a diag fee.
The reason for telling them that you are hearing the noise in the front is because wheels bearings are very weak on these cars and I have seen where a very small but well placed impact will cause the bearing to leak and become loose. Often times because dealerships make so much money off of warranty work if you word your concern like this they will likely replace the bearings at no charge as long as you withhold the fact that a pothole might have caused the damage.
With the car having only aftermarket swaybars this will not "void" any warranty pertaining to the suspension, wheel bearings, struts, etc. but to be on the safe side when you go in try and locate the youngest advisor on the drive.
Hope this is helpful
Old 03-01-2013, 05:45 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Why would he take it to the dealership and lie to them only to have them drive it and then tell him that they can't replicate the condition because it's not making any noise and is perfectly fine?

How many wheel bearings are you aware of on 2nd generation G's that have failed? What makes you hold the opinion that they are "weak"? I'm completely serious because I'm curious and this is the first I'm hearing of it. I just replaced a wheel bearing - on my '96 Maxima with almost 240K miles.

And the Hotchkis sways could most definitely be an issue in a suspension failure, particularly on the end links that are stressed by the stiffer bars and different mounting positions in the rear.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:21 PM
J0KER

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
Why would he take it to the dealership and lie to them only to have them drive it and then tell him that they can't replicate the condition because it's not making any noise and is perfectly fine?

How many wheel bearings are you aware of on 2nd generation G's that have failed? What makes you hold the opinion that they are "weak"? I'm completely serious because I'm curious and this is the first I'm hearing of it. I just replaced a wheel bearing - on my '96 Maxima with almost 240K miles.

And the Hotchkis sways could most definitely be an issue in a suspension failure, particularly on the end links that are stressed by the stiffer bars and different mounting positions in the rear.
Several!!! I replace them all the time.
It is a whole lot more likely that he would have busted a wheel bearing or bent a wheel than blew out a strut on the car. Everyone on this forum is so hot to trot when it comes to avoiding dealerships because they think that every little bolt on mod voided warranty and that dealers and service depts are crooks. The simple fix to this is say NO when they ask you to spend money, but to take the car to a "suspension" shop that works on all makes and models as oppose to taking it to a place that specifically trains thier technicians on only 5 different vehicles is asinine!!!
Also the only statement I made regarding the sway bars was that it would not void any warranty.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:28 PM
JerseyG37s

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
all i have to say about this whole post is that i hope the OP's car is all good lol... but JOKER makes a point..... plus not every small little *** shop knows how to fix every car...too many times i have seen friends make a "cheaper" choice the the "stealership" or however you call it and they jack the car up even more than it already is!! all i have to say OP is i hope your car is good! good luck let me know how it goes!
Old 03-01-2013, 06:46 PM
IPL 370GT

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by J0KER
I dissagree with not taking it to the dealership.......
If the car is still under warranty you need to take it in and tell the advisor that there is a "growling" noise coming from the front of the car. DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT tell them that you hit a pot hole.
If you tell the dealership that the car feels loose in the front end and that there is a growling noise they will look at the car for no charge under the 4/60 warranty and not charge you a diag fee.
The reason for telling them that you are hearing the noise in the front is because wheels bearings are very weak on these cars and I have seen where a very small but well placed impact will cause the bearing to leak and become loose. Often times because dealerships make so much money off of warranty work if you word your concern like this they will likely replace the bearings at no charge as long as you withhold the fact that a pothole might have caused the damage.
With the car having only aftermarket swaybars this will not "void" any warranty pertaining to the suspension, wheel bearings, struts, etc. but to be on the safe side when you go in try and locate the youngest advisor on the drive.
Hope this is helpful
Originally Posted by J0KER
Several!!! I replace them all the time.
It is a whole lot more likely that he would have busted a wheel bearing or bent a wheel than blew out a strut on the car. Everyone on this forum is so hot to trot when it comes to avoiding dealerships because they think that every little bolt on mod voided warranty and that dealers and service depts are crooks. The simple fix to this is say NO when they ask you to spend money, but to take the car to a "suspension" shop that works on all makes and models as oppose to taking it to a place that specifically trains thier technicians on only 5 different vehicles is asinine!!!
Also the only statement I made regarding the sway bars was that it would not void any warranty.
Seems a little biased considering you're a service writer for Infiniti

Black Betty offered an honest and helpful suggestion.

J0KER looking at your previous post in other threads, you remind me of the "overly assertive" service guy. Glad you don't work at my local dealer.

Last edited by IPL 370GT; 03-01-2013 at 07:02 PM.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:05 PM
amt120

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Dealers get a bad rep sometimes and a lot of infiniti dealers in so cal are mod-friendly. But when they do get you in situations when you have to spend money, it seems like they are asking for your family jewels as well. Just the nature of the beast...

Quick Reply: Help I Hit The Mother of All Pot-Holes