Worn & warped rotors at 13K miles

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 02:17 PM
rmjcvelez

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Worn & warped rotors at 13K miles

This is my 3<sup>rd</sup> G<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
2007-G35 4 door sedan<o></o>
2009-G-37 4 door Journey w/ NAV<o></o>
2012-G37s 4 door sport w/NAV<o></o>

I took my 2012 G-37s 4-door in for 13K mile maintenance andthe dealer discovered 4 warped rotors, brake pads that were down to the lastmil and damaged brake pins. I was toldthat my car has the same wear and tear as a car with 40,000 miles. Did I mention I only have 13k miles.. The dealership tried to charge close to $2,800but eventually warrantied the resurfacing of the rotors and rear brakepads. I was left with a $700 bill forthe front brake pads and the cost of the original maintenance. I purchased this G in Jan-2012 brand new.

With my previous G’s, I never went through a set of brakepads or a set of tires but in less than a year, my 2012 has drastic wear and tear. <o></o>

The dealer asked about my driving habits-do I drive with theemergency brake on (really!), do I frequently drive up and down mountainous terrain,Am I a speed racer or do I track my car. All of which are NO-I’m a conservative driver and never had a speedingticket. I do enjoy an occasional burstof speed off a light or getting on the freeway but I’m in my late 40’s andoften drive with kids and I drive less than 10 miles to work every day. <o></o>

I also noticed that I get about 14 to 16 MPG. Is it possible that I’m experiencing somesort of out of sync calibration with my computer system and the ABS system thatwould be engaging the brakes longer than needed? Any other suggestions? Is anyoneelse experiencing a similar issues?

Just an update-Aug-2013
My G just hit 20k miles. I noticed a pulsating feeling when braking again. I returned the 2013 G to the dealer for inspection and my rotors are once again warped, my pads worn and my braking system shows excessive wear and tear.

The dealer is now replacing the rotors and pads for the 2nd time within a year.

Last edited by rmjcvelez; 08-15-2013 at 04:51 PM. Reason: updated
Old 02-08-2013, 02:21 PM
rmjcvelez

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry, not sure why my post is showing HTML code and changing the font formatting.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:20 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
Driving with your ebrake engaged would wear out the rear parking brake SHOES, not the pads. Sounds to me like a caliper piston(s) is/are not retracting properly after application, causing the pad to continue pressing against the rotor. Thus, wearing out the pads prematurely and overheating the rotors ----> causing the warping.

With the sport calipers (bbk), the caliper body itself does not slide like on a traditional/typical disc brake setup. Instead, the pistons float, retracting slightly when you remove pressure from the pedal.

Did they show you the pads? Were they worn evenly?

$700 sounds alot for just one axle, even from the dealer.

What is "brake pin"? Are you referring to the pins the pads slide on?

How many times have you had the tires off/rotated? Was there any mention about premature pad wear? Although i drive low miles, I do change from summer/winter tires twice a year. With the wheels off, I can get a real good look at the pads/remaining material.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:49 PM
JohnsVert

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
700 dollars for just front brake pads and cost of maintenance? Could you give me info on what this cost of maintenance was ? Because from my understanding I could see them charging you for brake pads which is normal wear but everything else should be under warranty, but a 700 bill sounds way too much
Old 02-08-2013, 04:38 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,643 Likes on 3,474 Posts
Originally Posted by Jsolo
Driving with your ebrake engaged would wear out the rear parking brake SHOES, not the pads.
I don't have any advice for the OP, but I'd note that Jsolo makes a good point about these brakes. That's a parking brake, not an emergency brake. Those itty bitty shoes are next to useless in an emergency.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:45 PM
chilibowl

Received 82 Likes on 65 Posts
I will never in my life take my Infiniti to any dealership, except the first ever service (because its free)

Front brake pads? $80 shipped
Labor? Less than an hour
5 qts of oil? $25
Filter? $5

Where they got $700 and how you PAID $700 is beyond me.

You have been raped.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:09 PM
ZOSTER33
Premier Member

Received 228 Likes on 166 Posts
OP, If I were you I'd call Infiniti Customer Care and explain to them what happened. At 13 thousand miles you should not have worn out front brake pads, unless you ride your brakes, with the rears it is possible if you don't disengage the E-Brake but not likely because you'd have that RED E-Brake light on your display in front of you and I've never driven with the E-Brake on but I'm sure you would get some kind of audible warning alerting you to the fact that you did not disengage the E-Brake?. Now, $700.00 is way too steep for front brake pad replacement. I would ask to be reimbursed for that money that you spent. All of that should have been covered under warranty unless of course you've been taking your G to the track??

BTW...I have a 2010 G37S Sedan 43k miles and I'm still on the same pads and rotors!

Last edited by ZOSTER33; 02-08-2013 at 05:37 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:16 PM
Rochester
Administrator

^^^
Jsolo just got through explaining how the P-brake has nothing to do with the primary braking system.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:26 PM
ZOSTER33
Premier Member

Received 228 Likes on 166 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
^^^
Jsolo just got through explaining how the P-brake has nothing to do with the primary braking system.

My bad Rochester....don't be so hard on me!
Old 02-08-2013, 05:56 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

We take our brakes and clutches very seriously here
Old 02-08-2013, 06:57 PM
owslystnly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Where they got $700 and how you PAID $700 is beyond me.
a 4 wheel brake job on a civic is ~$700, FYI, at an independent shop. Yes, doing it yourself is ~$200-300 (depending on material choices and if you have drums or discs in the rear). So $700 for front pads on an infiniti at a dealership isn't really a stretch....just saying.

Having said that, changing your own pads is a pretty easy job, and I'd recommend doing it yourself if you are even only a little mechanically inclined. (unless, of course, you are in the middle of a raging blizzard, can't wait, and don't have a garage)
Old 02-08-2013, 07:26 PM
eksigned

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Definitely call Infiniti Consumer Affairs. They're pretty darn great at what they do. Did I mention they got me into a new coupe after rebuying my sedan? Do it.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:33 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Jsolo
We take our brakes and clutches very seriously here
That was funny.

I feel for the OP, I really do. My last car ripped through rear pads and rotors like they were made of cardboard. Seems every 15K miles, I needed new rear brakes. It was very frustrating.

But they were also very tiny for a mid-sized sedan (Maxima). I'm hoping the BBK on this G37 last a bit longer. And while I base that hope on nothing except assuming bigger lasts longer (silly, I know), I'm also somewhat nervous reading the problem rmjcvelez is experiencing.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:44 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

@Rochester, I think the OP's experience is an anomaly. Unless he drives riding the brakes, the only other explanation is that something is broke - pistons not retracting that would cause such accelerated wear, warped rotors, and crappy gas mileage. Albeit, 14-16 mpg isn't really all that bad if its mainly city driving with minimal highway.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:21 PM
Sunny G
Registered Member

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts
you got ripped off by the dealer I am sorry to say. They basically took money for everything they did and told you its just for the "fronts"

Quick Reply: Worn & warped rotors at 13K miles