Worth dropping/lowering the S model on springs?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 04:26 PM
Roman G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Worth dropping/lowering the S model on springs?

So just out of curiosity, is it worth dropping the Sport model? Someone told me that by getting springs, im downgrading the sport model as it already has great handling.

I love the way car handles. But with springs and the drop, am i downgrading or improving handling? I know i can pick up new springs for like 200-300 bucks.

13 g37s Sedan 6mt.

Thanks,

Roman
Old 01-30-2013, 04:40 PM
OB G

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Who told you lowering the car downgrades the car? Maybe depreciates the car's value, but no way does it downgrade the car. I don't think anyone of these forums have regretted lowering their car, even if they experience some battle wounds (ie rubbing, scraping, bottoming out, etc).

So in a nutshell, yes - do it. It'll improve both handling and looks of the car.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:03 PM
godzilla619
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
if you want increased handling, get aftermarket sway bars. if you want to lower the ride height and get rid of the wheel gap get springs or better yet coil overs. also use google or the search feature
Old 01-30-2013, 05:08 PM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
i loved the stance, handling and overall impression from a performance point of view when i was lowered on eibach prokit. i was running 20mm spacers front and rear. the setup looked great.

i did go back to stock springs after a few years only because i was tired of scraping and bottoming out, or having to drive like a paranoid OCD victim. whenever i had passengers i had to be extremely careful over speedbumps or on driveways. it got tiresome so i had to make the change back to stock. i do miss the handling and look of the prokit though!

i've found that by adding the eibach sway bars and a better set of tires i have regained any handling "loss" after removing the prokit. body roll is minimal, sharp turn-in and good stability through corners. all with not having to explain to passengers "don't worry, that sound was just the cross-brace scraping".

just my 0.02.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:20 PM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
Lowering the car will improve handling to a certain degree because you're lowering the center of gravity.

However, godzeera is correct. Sways and coilovers will be the best think for improving handling.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:51 PM
Roman G

Sorry guys what I meant was, I read or heard that sport model suspension is setup good as is, and that springs won't make much of a difference at all because of sport suspension on this car.

So even with sport suspension, its worth it?
Old 01-30-2013, 05:52 PM
Roman G

Sorry guys what I meant was, I read or heard that sport model suspension is setup good as is, and that springs won't make much of a difference at all because of sport suspension on this car.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:59 PM
MACS

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Roman G

Yes, it is worth it.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:06 PM
G37_7AT
Premier Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Roman G

I like the way you think. Infiniti spent millions developing the G37 sedan. Then the masses slap on new springs and who knows what else and claim they "improved" the car. No, you just screwed up the suspension geometry and handling that Infiniti developed. Can factory suspension be improved? Perhaps. But the odds of doing so simply by lowering the car to get the perfect "stance" aren't very good.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:29 PM
godzilla619
Registered Member

did you not read what i wrote?? what are you looking for?? handeling? get aftermarket sways. lower your car/get rid of wheel gap then get springs, if you have more $$$ opt for coil overs. why would anyone swap out OEM equipment for aftermarket if there wasn't some kind of improvement? If you never owned a sports car or sports coupe then the suspension would be good. if you drive aggressively and continually hit the limitations of your current set up, or dont like the way the car rolls or dips in corners then you do suspension upgrades like sway bars and coil overs. if you dont like the 4x4 wheel gap that newer cars come with these days then you get springs and spacers. All aftermarket springs for our cars offer some degree of drop. seriously use the search function.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:33 PM
godzilla619
Registered Member

Originally Posted by G37_7AT
I like the way you think. Infiniti spent millions developing the G37 sedan. Then the masses slap on new springs and who knows what else and claim they "improved" the car. No, you just screwed up the suspension geometry and handling that Infiniti developed. Can factory suspension be improved? Perhaps. But the odds of doing so simply by lowering the car to get the perfect "stance" aren't very good.
they spent millions developing and the bean counters spent pennies deciding what would be cost effective. If you think that your car does not need any modifications to improve drivability or or appearrance why does infiniti even offer the IPL version of the car with exhaust, intakes and suspension tweaks and wheels, other than charging way too much for the parts?
Old 01-30-2013, 06:41 PM
GTLAW
Banned

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
I'm still lost at how do you bottom out on a Eibach drop? I am almost 2inchs and never bottom out!

I guess driving skills??
Old 01-30-2013, 07:16 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by GTLAW
I'm still lost at how do you bottom out on a Eibach drop? I am almost 2inchs and never bottom out!

I guess driving skills??
It becomes a bit of an art form after awhile, I was dropped a hair over 2" on springs and it took a while to keep from scraping my front lip on steep drives or my exhaust tips backing down a drive w/ a lot of tilt, same goes for the braided exhaust fittings My coilovers are set about 1/4" higher and I never scrape now, still lower than Eibach PKs.
It's amazing what that slight bit of height made though, no more paranoia

Sport pkg has pretty decent sways, so should get you decent handling improvement w/ some compliant springs, but definitely go Coils if you can swing it.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:19 PM
Roman G

Thanks for all the replys.

I'm not an idiot, I know the results of getting springs would be lowered car with stiffer handling.

My question was specifically about sport suspension model and adding springs to that.

I am perfectly happy with the handling, for now anyway, I was only curious about sport model suspension.

Those with sport suspension who got aftermarket springs, how do you like it? Which ones did u get and HOW MUCH IMPROVEMENT HAVE YOU NOTICED?

thanks guys
Old 01-30-2013, 07:24 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,727 Likes on 3,532 Posts
Originally Posted by G37_7AT
Nice first post. Seriously, no sarcasm from me.

Aside from the impracticality, I've always thought lowering a car looks rather childish once the top-of-wheel gap gets noticeably more narrow than the sides. It takes a serious amount of proper attention to lower a car properly, with the right rims, tires, offset and reasonable height. And even then, you have to deal with the impracticality of daily driving, like canucklhead here.

The Sport suspension on the RWD G37 is so much better than the non-Sport (or G37xS, for that matter), but you can improve things with aftermarket sways and coilovers. And the likelihood is that if you do go with coilovers, then you'll drop the car a little, because you can.

Yesterday I parked my stock-suspension 6MT nose-2-nose next to a G25x, at the end of a parking lot. It gave me the chance to step back and compare. The differences between the two were so obvious, I was kind of amused.

Quick Reply: Worth dropping/lowering the S model on springs?